Gran Caribe celebrates 20 years of hotel success in Cuba
Gran Caribe, Cuba's largest, national-owned hotel company is celebrating its 20th anniversary today. We have a look at how its grown over the years and how it has evolved and developed to incorporate new services, cater for new markets and develop new brands to diversity its product offering to discerning international guests.
The government-owned hotel company, Gran Caribe, Cuba's national hotel chain is celebrating its 20 years of existence today and marking the occasion with a significant growth since it was first founded back in 1994 with a not-so-modest total of 6,297 rooms.
Today, 1st August 2014, the hotelier has reached a total of 12,025 rooms throughout the island, a growth that nearly doubles their initial collection and great diversification in different locations.
With hotels in different star categories, from beautiful and charming 3-star properties to elegant and historic 4-star hotels and all inclusive resorts, Gran Caribe has a strong presence scattered all throughout Cuba, from the always popular Havana and Varadero, to the emerging cities and beach resorts of Cienfuegos, Cayo Largo del Sur, Jardines del Rey and Isle of Youth (Isla de la Juventud).
Out of Gran Caribe's total of 52 hotels in the island, 29 are operated by the company itself while the rest are managed and run by other international prestigious hotel chains.
With a slogan that reads "The authentic art of hospitality", Gran Caribe brings its guests a touch of genuine local warmth and flair. Guests' safety and personalised treatment as well as value for money, are at the forefront of the chain's core values.
Among its properties, Gran Caribe also includes some World Heritage Sites, such as the Santa Clara Canyons, the gardens at the iconic Nacional de Cuba Hotel, the giant ceramic mural by Amelia Pelaez on the façade of the Tryp Habana Libre Hotel and the "Hipocampo" seahorse sculpture by Florencio Gelabert that the Hotel Habana Rivera is famous for.
Gran Caribe hotels in Cuba are grouped in four different brands: Classic, Club Premium, Hola Club and Hoteles "E" Encanto.
The Classic brand offers 4-star elegant and traditional hotels, true gems of varied architecture that combine the eclectic and modern styles of the 1950s.
Club Premium, on the other hand, is also made up of 4-star properties but these are located adjacent to beaches or in the archipelago's virginal keys. These operate on an all-inclusive service and perfectly combine personalised service and modern comforts with wild, lush nature.
Made up of 3-star hotels, the Hola Club properties are also located on beaches and keys. They also operate on an all-inclusive basis and are ideal for families, couples and groups of friends.
Lastly, the "E" Encanto hotel brand defines a unique collection of boutique properties, each distinctive and special because of its historic and cultural value. These hotels are small, elegant and refined, with an air of sophistication that perfectly blends in the antique and vintage with modern comforts and access to present-day technology.
At the moment, the company is looking at ways to further develop and evolve in the market. Many of the chain's hotels have become host to special events, congresses and inceptive meetings, thanks to the ongoing refurbishment of meeting spaces and conference rooms with the latest equipment, translating services, executive services and the installation of WiFi internet access.
Another way Gran Caribe has diversified its tourism offer is with the implementation of wedding packages and honeymoon specials at some of its properties. With guaranteed legal services, personalised-check-in and welcome cocktail for honeymooners plus a host of specialised services for couples celebrating their nuptials, this is a national hotel brand that aims to please all guests, whatever their interests or special needs.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Stay in a Sea View Room in Havana for all three nights, for an extra £20 per person
- Fly premium-economy class from an extra £199 per person, each way
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...