Gran Caribe celebrates 20 years of hotel success in Cuba
Gran Caribe, Cuba's largest, national-owned hotel company is celebrating its 20th anniversary today. We have a look at how its grown over the years and how it has evolved and developed to incorporate new services, cater for new markets and develop new brands to diversity its product offering to discerning international guests.
The government-owned hotel company, Gran Caribe, Cuba's national hotel chain is celebrating its 20 years of existence today and marking the occasion with a significant growth since it was first founded back in 1994 with a not-so-modest total of 6,297 rooms.
Today, 1st August 2014, the hotelier has reached a total of 12,025 rooms throughout the island, a growth that nearly doubles their initial collection and great diversification in different locations.
With hotels in different star categories, from beautiful and charming 3-star properties to elegant and historic 4-star hotels and all inclusive resorts, Gran Caribe has a strong presence scattered all throughout Cuba, from the always popular Havana and Varadero, to the emerging cities and beach resorts of Cienfuegos, Cayo Largo del Sur, Jardines del Rey and Isle of Youth (Isla de la Juventud).
Out of Gran Caribe's total of 52 hotels in the island, 29 are operated by the company itself while the rest are managed and run by other international prestigious hotel chains.
With a slogan that reads "The authentic art of hospitality", Gran Caribe brings its guests a touch of genuine local warmth and flair. Guests' safety and personalised treatment as well as value for money, are at the forefront of the chain's core values.
Among its properties, Gran Caribe also includes some World Heritage Sites, such as the Santa Clara Canyons, the gardens at the iconic Nacional de Cuba Hotel, the giant ceramic mural by Amelia Pelaez on the façade of the Tryp Habana Libre Hotel and the "Hipocampo" seahorse sculpture by Florencio Gelabert that the Hotel Habana Rivera is famous for.
Gran Caribe hotels in Cuba are grouped in four different brands: Classic, Club Premium, Hola Club and Hoteles "E" Encanto.
The Classic brand offers 4-star elegant and traditional hotels, true gems of varied architecture that combine the eclectic and modern styles of the 1950s.
Club Premium, on the other hand, is also made up of 4-star properties but these are located adjacent to beaches or in the archipelago's virginal keys. These operate on an all-inclusive service and perfectly combine personalised service and modern comforts with wild, lush nature.
Made up of 3-star hotels, the Hola Club properties are also located on beaches and keys. They also operate on an all-inclusive basis and are ideal for families, couples and groups of friends.
Lastly, the "E" Encanto hotel brand defines a unique collection of boutique properties, each distinctive and special because of its historic and cultural value. These hotels are small, elegant and refined, with an air of sophistication that perfectly blends in the antique and vintage with modern comforts and access to present-day technology.
At the moment, the company is looking at ways to further develop and evolve in the market. Many of the chain's hotels have become host to special events, congresses and inceptive meetings, thanks to the ongoing refurbishment of meeting spaces and conference rooms with the latest equipment, translating services, executive services and the installation of WiFi internet access.
Another way Gran Caribe has diversified its tourism offer is with the implementation of wedding packages and honeymoon specials at some of its properties. With guaranteed legal services, personalised-check-in and welcome cocktail for honeymooners plus a host of specialised services for couples celebrating their nuptials, this is a national hotel brand that aims to please all guests, whatever their interests or special needs.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic Varadero City Tour
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
The ultimate beach holiday experience awaits you at Breezes Varadero, a Caribbean paradise for golf-lovers and scuba...