Maldives to host Asian Surfing Championship in September
The Indian Ocean nation of the Maldives will be hosting the Asian Surfing Championship this September for the first time. The event will take place at the Adaaran Select Hudhuranfushi resort from 3rd to 7th September, 2014 where 70 surfers from Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand, Singapore and the Maldives will battle it out for the winning title.
This September, the Maldives will host the Asian Surfing Championship for the first time after an agreement was signed by Maldives Marketing and PR Corporation, the Asian Surfing Championship, and the local Maldives Bodyboarding Association.
The surfing event will take place at Adaaran Select Hudhuranfushi resort in the North Male Atoll in the Maldives from 3rd to 7th September, 2014.
More than 70 surfers from Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand, Singapore and the Maldives will battle it out for the winning title, while putting the Indian Ocean island nation on the map as a leading surfing destination.
"The event will further position the Maldives as a sought-after surf destination in the global arena."
Said a spokesperson for the Maldives Marketing and PR Corporation.
Adaaran Select Hudhuranfushi is nestled in 83 acres of lush tropical surroundings close to Kani Beach on Lhohifushi Island and guests will reach the luxury resort via 30-minute speedboat ride from the Male International Airport.
Accommodation is made up of beach villas and water bungalows that feature thatched and wooden exteriors. Guest rooms, suites and villas offer modern amenities such as air conditioning, mini-bars, TVs and DVD players, in-room safes, tea and coffee making facilities, and en-suite bathrooms.
Guests can choose from a selection of dining outlets including the Sunset Bar and Restaurant, the Banyan Restaurant, Hiyala bar and Lohis bar; all of which serve delicious gourmet cuisine and a wide range of premium beverages.
Facilities at the luxury beachfront resort include tennis courts, a swimming pool, a private beach, and gym. The onsite Chavana Spa offers an array of pampering and soothing treatments including sea shell massage, warm stone massage, black stone massage, facial therapies, pedicures and manicures.
Surfers will be in for a treat at the four-star resort thanks to the world class left hander that breaks over a shallow reef. Surf packages are also available at the property for guests who want to make the most of the paradise and expert surf guides will take visitors on boat trips to the Lohis break and other North Male Atoll breaks.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
See what the Maldives really has to offer at Velassaru Maldives, with a great array of excursions.
- Fantastic selection of excursions from night snorkelling to fishing to a trip to Male to having an island all to yourself!
- As well as chilling on the beach or visiting the Spa, why not go an practice the ancient art of Yoga?
- Five wonderful dining venues and two exciting bars means you have a range of options depending on what mood you are in
Sun Island is al elegant and serene paradise in the Indian Ocean whilst Media Rotana is perfectly positioned for you to explore the wonders of Dubai.
- Both properties have restaurants that cover dishes from around the world
- Media Rotana is perfectly located in the centre of Dubai, within easy reach of shopping centres, the gold souk and Dubai's famous creek
- Sun Island lies in the South Ari Atoll, and is surrounded by wide beaches of fine sand and offshore waters that house underwater gardens full of marine life
Relax and unwind on Paradise Island before picking up the pace in glamorous Dubai enjoy the Duty free shopping
- Take a dip in the turquoise lagoon or the onsite pool, go snorkelling and windsurfing or opt for land sports recreation
- Your Dubai abode sits close to the Mall of the Emirates and a short ride to the famous Jumeirah Beach
- Paradise Island accommodation are Bungalows with direct access to the beach or Water Bungalows with private sun terrace
Follow secret pathways through tropical gardens, savour exquisite cuisine, scuba dive to spot whale sharks or simply chill on the sands...
- Take your pick from 7 exquisite restaurants and 6 lively bars
- Enjoy access to some of Maldives' most beautiful dive sites and explore the depths of the Indian Ocean
- Special touches include: cinema screenings on the beach, secret bars and a message in a bottle with a hidden surprise
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Let everything go as you observe breath-taking landscapes during a relaxing stay at the amazing Velassaru Maldives...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
True Maldivian style comes to the fore at Reethi Beach Resort, situated on the tiny Baa Atoll. The PADI 5-star Dive...
Get away from the mundane and enjoy eight days of uninterrupted sun and sand on the shores of one of the most sought...