Whale Sharks head to Cancun this Summer
The largest sharks in the world will be making their way to Cancun this summer as part of their annual migration. The whale sharks, known as the friendly giants, will head to the Mexican region in July, August and September, and Cancun Whale Shark Tours will be offering tourists the opportunity to get close to these incredible creatures.
Nature lovers will be in for a treat this summer as the world's largest shark species get ready to invade Cancun. Whale sharks, known as the friendly giants, will be making their way to Cancun next month as part of their annual migration. The huge sharks will be in the Mexican region from July to mid-September.
Holidaymakers will have the opportunity to enjoy whale shark tours and swimming trips through Cancun Whale Shark Tours, the largest whale shark tour operator in Cancun and Riviera Maya, which was ranked No. 1 on TripAdvisor. Rodney "Rodrigo" Sidney, the owner of the tour company, explained:
"I have a fleet of 10 boats. I never take more than 10 people at one time on a boat. The package includes pickup at the hotel, breakfast, a safety briefing and information on the whale sharks and an hour boat trip out to the site. Passengers go two at a time with a licensed guide to swim with the whale sharks. There is time for three different swims, then lunch and we head back to the marina."
Whale sharks are often spotted in tropical scuba diving destinations and they are known as the "friendly giants" because they are passive and they live on a diet of plankton and small fish.
The gentle giants are the largest fish in the world and are on the red list for the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), as well as being classified as "vulnerable to extinction".
The whale shark package starts from $169 per person and the tour company follows the guidelines set by Mexican conservation regulations, which include propeller guards on the boats to protect both whale sharks and swimmers.
To protect the environment and ocean, participants who want to swim with the whale sharks must use reef-safe, 100 per cent biodegradable sunscreen.
Cancun Whale Shark Tours is a founding member of the International Whale Shark Conservation Foundation, which is dedicated to researching and preserving these endangered species. For every tour booking, the company donates five per cent to the Whale Shark Conservation Society.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Adults only resort promising great parties and only 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine unique restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a pristine white sand beach
Get up to $3600 resort credits to spend on luxurious extras like spa treatments, golf, excursions and so much more!
- Stay for 10 Nights or more and up to 2 kids up to the age of 12 stay free
- Relax and rejuvenate at the world-class spa with 75 treatment rooms
- Dine at a wide choice of restaurants specialising in Italian, Asian and Mexican cuisine
- Enjoy Up to $3600 resort credit to spend on spa, excursions, golf and more
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Explore the historical riches of the Riviera Maya and marvel at the abundant natural beauty of its Caribbean coastline...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...