Whale Sharks head to Cancun this Summer
The largest sharks in the world will be making their way to Cancun this summer as part of their annual migration. The whale sharks, known as the friendly giants, will head to the Mexican region in July, August and September, and Cancun Whale Shark Tours will be offering tourists the opportunity to get close to these incredible creatures.
Nature lovers will be in for a treat this summer as the world's largest shark species get ready to invade Cancun. Whale sharks, known as the friendly giants, will be making their way to Cancun next month as part of their annual migration. The huge sharks will be in the Mexican region from July to mid-September.
Holidaymakers will have the opportunity to enjoy whale shark tours and swimming trips through Cancun Whale Shark Tours, the largest whale shark tour operator in Cancun and Riviera Maya, which was ranked No. 1 on TripAdvisor. Rodney "Rodrigo" Sidney, the owner of the tour company, explained:
"I have a fleet of 10 boats. I never take more than 10 people at one time on a boat. The package includes pickup at the hotel, breakfast, a safety briefing and information on the whale sharks and an hour boat trip out to the site. Passengers go two at a time with a licensed guide to swim with the whale sharks. There is time for three different swims, then lunch and we head back to the marina."
Whale sharks are often spotted in tropical scuba diving destinations and they are known as the "friendly giants" because they are passive and they live on a diet of plankton and small fish.
The gentle giants are the largest fish in the world and are on the red list for the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), as well as being classified as "vulnerable to extinction".
The whale shark package starts from $169 per person and the tour company follows the guidelines set by Mexican conservation regulations, which include propeller guards on the boats to protect both whale sharks and swimmers.
To protect the environment and ocean, participants who want to swim with the whale sharks must use reef-safe, 100 per cent biodegradable sunscreen.
Cancun Whale Shark Tours is a founding member of the International Whale Shark Conservation Foundation, which is dedicated to researching and preserving these endangered species. For every tour booking, the company donates five per cent to the Whale Shark Conservation Society.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
No matter if you're returning or if this is your first time to Cancun, days full of entertainment and fine dining at the...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...