Whale Sharks head to Cancun this Summer
The largest sharks in the world will be making their way to Cancun this summer as part of their annual migration. The whale sharks, known as the friendly giants, will head to the Mexican region in July, August and September, and Cancun Whale Shark Tours will be offering tourists the opportunity to get close to these incredible creatures.
Nature lovers will be in for a treat this summer as the world's largest shark species get ready to invade Cancun. Whale sharks, known as the friendly giants, will be making their way to Cancun next month as part of their annual migration. The huge sharks will be in the Mexican region from July to mid-September.
Holidaymakers will have the opportunity to enjoy whale shark tours and swimming trips through Cancun Whale Shark Tours, the largest whale shark tour operator in Cancun and Riviera Maya, which was ranked No. 1 on TripAdvisor. Rodney "Rodrigo" Sidney, the owner of the tour company, explained:
"I have a fleet of 10 boats. I never take more than 10 people at one time on a boat. The package includes pickup at the hotel, breakfast, a safety briefing and information on the whale sharks and an hour boat trip out to the site. Passengers go two at a time with a licensed guide to swim with the whale sharks. There is time for three different swims, then lunch and we head back to the marina."
Whale sharks are often spotted in tropical scuba diving destinations and they are known as the "friendly giants" because they are passive and they live on a diet of plankton and small fish.
The gentle giants are the largest fish in the world and are on the red list for the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), as well as being classified as "vulnerable to extinction".
The whale shark package starts from $169 per person and the tour company follows the guidelines set by Mexican conservation regulations, which include propeller guards on the boats to protect both whale sharks and swimmers.
To protect the environment and ocean, participants who want to swim with the whale sharks must use reef-safe, 100 per cent biodegradable sunscreen.
Cancun Whale Shark Tours is a founding member of the International Whale Shark Conservation Foundation, which is dedicated to researching and preserving these endangered species. For every tour booking, the company donates five per cent to the Whale Shark Conservation Society.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- The proximity to the "best-preserved Mayan ruins in the Western Hemisphere"
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
Live it up and Experience Cancun in unlimited luxury that knows no bounds at Dreams Sands Cancun Resort and Spa
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...