Whale Sharks head to Cancun this Summer
The largest sharks in the world will be making their way to Cancun this summer as part of their annual migration. The whale sharks, known as the friendly giants, will head to the Mexican region in July, August and September, and Cancun Whale Shark Tours will be offering tourists the opportunity to get close to these incredible creatures.
Nature lovers will be in for a treat this summer as the world's largest shark species get ready to invade Cancun. Whale sharks, known as the friendly giants, will be making their way to Cancun next month as part of their annual migration. The huge sharks will be in the Mexican region from July to mid-September.
Holidaymakers will have the opportunity to enjoy whale shark tours and swimming trips through Cancun Whale Shark Tours, the largest whale shark tour operator in Cancun and Riviera Maya, which was ranked No. 1 on TripAdvisor. Rodney "Rodrigo" Sidney, the owner of the tour company, explained:
"I have a fleet of 10 boats. I never take more than 10 people at one time on a boat. The package includes pickup at the hotel, breakfast, a safety briefing and information on the whale sharks and an hour boat trip out to the site. Passengers go two at a time with a licensed guide to swim with the whale sharks. There is time for three different swims, then lunch and we head back to the marina."
Whale sharks are often spotted in tropical scuba diving destinations and they are known as the "friendly giants" because they are passive and they live on a diet of plankton and small fish.
The gentle giants are the largest fish in the world and are on the red list for the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), as well as being classified as "vulnerable to extinction".
The whale shark package starts from $169 per person and the tour company follows the guidelines set by Mexican conservation regulations, which include propeller guards on the boats to protect both whale sharks and swimmers.
To protect the environment and ocean, participants who want to swim with the whale sharks must use reef-safe, 100 per cent biodegradable sunscreen.
Cancun Whale Shark Tours is a founding member of the International Whale Shark Conservation Foundation, which is dedicated to researching and preserving these endangered species. For every tour booking, the company donates five per cent to the Whale Shark Conservation Society.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- Adults only resort just 20 minutes from the airport and the nightlife of Cancun 15 miles away
- Enjoy one of the various treatments on offer at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort you will...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...