Melia to open a new hotel in Cuba's Jardines del Rey archipelago
According to a recent statement release made during Cuba's International Tourism Fair (FitCuba 2014), Melia Hotels International has been revealed as the company behind the building of Cuba's newest hotel in the island's northern key of Cayo Coco. The new Melia Jardines del Rey will be located on the stunning sands of Playa Flamenco, the newest beach to be developed in this pristine key, found off the coast of Cuba's central province of Ciego de Avila.
Executives from Melia Hotels International attending Cuba’s International Tourism Fair (FitCuba 2014), recently held in the island earlier this month, announced the soon-to-come opening of the brand new Melia Jardines del Rey, a still-under-construction resort poised on the stunning white sands of Playa Flamenco, in Cayo Coco, one of the small keys that make up the Jardines del Rey archipelago, found on the northern coast of Cuba’s central province of Ciego de Avila.
The announcement came after some Melia representatives unveiled plans to keep expanding in the island after 15 years of strong presence there and 26 hotels dotted all around the Cuban archipelago. It looks as though the prestigious Spanish hotel chain has no intention of stopping anytime soon with a collection of three, four and five-star all inclusive retreats that seems ever-growing. Just very recently in fact, they opened its latest gem in the island, the lavishly luxurious, five-star Melia Marina Varadero, which opened in summer last year and to which was also announced to be growing with the addition of new facilities and services.
About the new resort in Cayo Coco, expected to be finished by sometime next year, it was revealed that the first phase should be completed in November 2014 and once the whole hotel complex is finished it will become the key’s largest hotel. With a total of 1,176 rooms found along 25, three-storey bungalows, they will offer garden views, pool views and ocean views as well as luxury amenities and facilities.
The resort will be divided into two sections: an adults-only area like the one found at the Melia Las Dunas in Cayo Santa Maria, and a family zone, complete with baby club and mini club. It was also revealed that the new retreat will offer Melia’s latest luxury concept “The Level”, an exclusive area similar to the Royal Service you will find at Melia’s collection of Paradisus resorts.
As part of this exclusive service, guests stay in upgraded accommodation and enjoy exclusive facilities and services, including a dedicated reception and concierge, a VIP bar lounge and concierge, free Wi-Fi, private check-in and check/out, pillow menu, welcome cocktails, free 24-hour room service and much more. In addition to that, the new Melia Jardines del Rey will feature a total of eight restaurants, six bars, a YHI Spa, five swimming pools, a wedding gazebo and more. The dazzling Playa Flamenco is a long beach facing the north of Cayo Coco and nicely protected from strong waves and currents, so you can expect mirror-like crystalline waters in which to sink in, float in and go for an invigorating swim.
Completely closed to the public and totally uninhabited, this beach remained in a secluded virginal state until very recently, when in 2011 it welcomed its first hotel, the Memories Flamenco Beach resort, shortly followed in 2013 by the Pestana Cayo Coco and now to be also home to the developing Melia Jardines del Rey. As construction work advances and phases are completed we’ll update you on the opening of this new resort, so watch this space to follow the resort’s progression if you want to be the first to plan your Cuba holidays to this promising new resort.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands for an amazing price!
- The all-inclusive plan features 1 buffet restaurant, 2 A la carte, 3 snack bars and 3 bars.
- The Location on one of Varadero's best virgin beaches.
- Enjoy varied entertainment, including water sports, beach volleyball, tennis, evening performances and more.
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
The ultimate beach holiday experience awaits you at Los Cactus, a Caribbean paradise for golf-lovers and scuba...