Melia to open a new hotel in Cuba's Jardines del Rey archipelago
According to a recent statement release made during Cuba's International Tourism Fair (FitCuba 2014), Melia Hotels International has been revealed as the company behind the building of Cuba's newest hotel in the island's northern key of Cayo Coco. The new Melia Jardines del Rey will be located on the stunning sands of Playa Flamenco, the newest beach to be developed in this pristine key, found off the coast of Cuba's central province of Ciego de Avila.
Executives from Melia Hotels International attending Cuba’s International Tourism Fair (FitCuba 2014), recently held in the island earlier this month, announced the soon-to-come opening of the brand new Melia Jardines del Rey, a still-under-construction resort poised on the stunning white sands of Playa Flamenco, in Cayo Coco, one of the small keys that make up the Jardines del Rey archipelago, found on the northern coast of Cuba’s central province of Ciego de Avila.
The announcement came after some Melia representatives unveiled plans to keep expanding in the island after 15 years of strong presence there and 26 hotels dotted all around the Cuban archipelago. It looks as though the prestigious Spanish hotel chain has no intention of stopping anytime soon with a collection of three, four and five-star all inclusive retreats that seems ever-growing. Just very recently in fact, they opened its latest gem in the island, the lavishly luxurious, five-star Melia Marina Varadero, which opened in summer last year and to which was also announced to be growing with the addition of new facilities and services.
About the new resort in Cayo Coco, expected to be finished by sometime next year, it was revealed that the first phase should be completed in November 2014 and once the whole hotel complex is finished it will become the key’s largest hotel. With a total of 1,176 rooms found along 25, three-storey bungalows, they will offer garden views, pool views and ocean views as well as luxury amenities and facilities.
The resort will be divided into two sections: an adults-only area like the one found at the Melia Las Dunas in Cayo Santa Maria, and a family zone, complete with baby club and mini club. It was also revealed that the new retreat will offer Melia’s latest luxury concept “The Level”, an exclusive area similar to the Royal Service you will find at Melia’s collection of Paradisus resorts.
As part of this exclusive service, guests stay in upgraded accommodation and enjoy exclusive facilities and services, including a dedicated reception and concierge, a VIP bar lounge and concierge, free Wi-Fi, private check-in and check/out, pillow menu, welcome cocktails, free 24-hour room service and much more. In addition to that, the new Melia Jardines del Rey will feature a total of eight restaurants, six bars, a YHI Spa, five swimming pools, a wedding gazebo and more. The dazzling Playa Flamenco is a long beach facing the north of Cayo Coco and nicely protected from strong waves and currents, so you can expect mirror-like crystalline waters in which to sink in, float in and go for an invigorating swim.
Completely closed to the public and totally uninhabited, this beach remained in a secluded virginal state until very recently, when in 2011 it welcomed its first hotel, the Memories Flamenco Beach resort, shortly followed in 2013 by the Pestana Cayo Coco and now to be also home to the developing Melia Jardines del Rey. As construction work advances and phases are completed we’ll update you on the opening of this new resort, so watch this space to follow the resort’s progression if you want to be the first to plan your Cuba holidays to this promising new resort.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...