The Guardian calls Gibara, Cuba's best-kept secret
Lydia Bell of the UK's Guardian newspaper recently shared her experience holidaying in the little-known town of Gibara in Cuba. For those hoping to experience Cuba without swarms of tourists this is the ideal destination. A visit in April means you can enjoy one of the best Latin American Film Festivals, but Gibara offers an unforgettable experience all year round.
The island of Cuba continues to captivate the imaginations of travellers and industry insiders alike. As Cuba's tourism goes from strength to strength, the world continues to look on with keen interest, with many tourists hoping to experience the island before it becomes overrun with tourists and large hotel chains, as has been the case with some of its Caribbean counterparts.
Already Cuba is attracting more and more holidaymakers each year, recently announcing visitor numbers of more than a million in the first four months of 2014 alone. There are however still places that are off the beaten path as Lydia Bell of the UK's Guardian newspaper recently discovered.
Ms Bell raved about her holiday experience in the town of Gibara, pegging it as an unforgettable experience for anyone hoping to experience something a little less ordinary. Gibara is located in south-east Cuba, past the well-known town of Holguin. This isolated town has retained the charm and mystique that attracts many people to Cuba holidays, and is best known for its annual Indie film festival: Festival International del Cine Pobre. At the 2014 festival, 47 films were shown at the local cinema. The event, first launched in 2003 by Humberto Solas, brings Gibara to life with everything from intellectual chats at the Casa de la Cultura to outdoor parties, street food stalls, live comedy and, of course, dancing.
Aside from the Indie Film Festival each April, there is plenty to experience in the town, with the opportunity to go diving in the "Tanque Azul de Caletones" or explore the nearby valleys and cave-filled limestone hills. Those who are keen to experience Cuba's rich history and culture can visit the Museo de Arte Colonial or the Museo de Historia Natural. You only need to ask around and the locals will happily point you to a number of vitrales - where people welcome you openly into their homes. While Havana is the most popular stomping ground for international visitors, those who prefer more tailor-made holidays will certainly enjoy what Gibara has to offer.
Key tourism markets for Cuba include Canada, Germany, UK, France and Italy. While its Caribbean counterparts are struggling to boost arrival figures, Cuba is bucking the trend, recently announcing 1,282,734 international visitors between January and April. This is a sharp increase on the 60,804 visitors received in the same period last year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...