The Guardian calls Gibara, Cuba's best-kept secret
Lydia Bell of the UK's Guardian newspaper recently shared her experience holidaying in the little-known town of Gibara in Cuba. For those hoping to experience Cuba without swarms of tourists this is the ideal destination. A visit in April means you can enjoy one of the best Latin American Film Festivals, but Gibara offers an unforgettable experience all year round.
The island of Cuba continues to captivate the imaginations of travellers and industry insiders alike. As Cuba's tourism goes from strength to strength, the world continues to look on with keen interest, with many tourists hoping to experience the island before it becomes overrun with tourists and large hotel chains, as has been the case with some of its Caribbean counterparts.
Already Cuba is attracting more and more holidaymakers each year, recently announcing visitor numbers of more than a million in the first four months of 2014 alone. There are however still places that are off the beaten path as Lydia Bell of the UK's Guardian newspaper recently discovered.
Ms Bell raved about her holiday experience in the town of Gibara, pegging it as an unforgettable experience for anyone hoping to experience something a little less ordinary. Gibara is located in south-east Cuba, past the well-known town of Holguin. This isolated town has retained the charm and mystique that attracts many people to Cuba holidays, and is best known for its annual Indie film festival: Festival International del Cine Pobre. At the 2014 festival, 47 films were shown at the local cinema. The event, first launched in 2003 by Humberto Solas, brings Gibara to life with everything from intellectual chats at the Casa de la Cultura to outdoor parties, street food stalls, live comedy and, of course, dancing.
Aside from the Indie Film Festival each April, there is plenty to experience in the town, with the opportunity to go diving in the "Tanque Azul de Caletones" or explore the nearby valleys and cave-filled limestone hills. Those who are keen to experience Cuba's rich history and culture can visit the Museo de Arte Colonial or the Museo de Historia Natural. You only need to ask around and the locals will happily point you to a number of vitrales - where people welcome you openly into their homes. While Havana is the most popular stomping ground for international visitors, those who prefer more tailor-made holidays will certainly enjoy what Gibara has to offer.
Key tourism markets for Cuba include Canada, Germany, UK, France and Italy. While its Caribbean counterparts are struggling to boost arrival figures, Cuba is bucking the trend, recently announcing 1,282,734 international visitors between January and April. This is a sharp increase on the 60,804 visitors received in the same period last year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- All inclusive features a buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants and a choice of 4 bars (Local Sprits, Wine, beer & soft drinks served)
- Fantastic all-inclusive package with unlimited drinks 24/7
- Excellent selection of bars and restaurants Offers 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel during summer 2017
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...