Visitor arrivals in Cuba rise by five per cent
The island nation of Cuba has recorded a five per cent increase in tourist arrivals in the first four months of 2014, compared to the same period last year, according to the National Statistics and Information Office (ONEI). In 2013 the country received 2,852,572 tourists and tourism officials are aiming to reach their three million target by the end of the year.
The Caribbean island of Cuba has received a rising number of tourists during the first four months of 2014, according to the National Statistics and Information Office (ONEI).
Cuba received a rise in visitor arrivals between January and April this year, a five per cent increase compared to the same period in 2013.
The country recorded 1.28 million tourists in the first four months of 2014, and in April alone 287,103 foreign travellers visited the island, which is a four per cent year-on-year increase.
The majority of tourists originated from Canada, (623,337 arrivals), followed by Germans, British, French and Italians. Last year, 2,852,572 tourists visited Cuba and this year, tourism officials are hoping to reach their goal of three million visitors.
Located in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico, the beautiful island is home to breathtaking natural landscapes such as miles of white sand beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, 236 protected areas, historic towns and cities, and ancient ruins and sites.
The capital, Havana, is a hotspot for tourists with its cobbled streets, old decaying buildings, the bustling Malecon promenade, historic Old Town, and vibrant bars and restaurants.
There are many cultural events to enjoy all year round including the Havana International Ballet Festival, the Havana International Film Festival, and the Havana Jazz Festival which features performances from Cuba's finest musicians and international artists.
Visitors can relax on 20km of white sandy beaches in Varadero, play golf on Cuba's only full golf course, explore the impressive caves and the Hicacos Point Natural Park, or snorkel or scuba dive in the Jardines del Rey archipelago which boasts crystal clear azure ocean waters and a spectacular barrier reef system with diverse marine species such as nurse sharks, stingrays, green morays, sea turtles, jewfish, Atlantic spadefish and barracuda.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...