Visitor arrivals in Cuba rise by five per cent
The island nation of Cuba has recorded a five per cent increase in tourist arrivals in the first four months of 2014, compared to the same period last year, according to the National Statistics and Information Office (ONEI). In 2013 the country received 2,852,572 tourists and tourism officials are aiming to reach their three million target by the end of the year.
The Caribbean island of Cuba has received a rising number of tourists during the first four months of 2014, according to the National Statistics and Information Office (ONEI).
Cuba received a rise in visitor arrivals between January and April this year, a five per cent increase compared to the same period in 2013.
The country recorded 1.28 million tourists in the first four months of 2014, and in April alone 287,103 foreign travellers visited the island, which is a four per cent year-on-year increase.
The majority of tourists originated from Canada, (623,337 arrivals), followed by Germans, British, French and Italians. Last year, 2,852,572 tourists visited Cuba and this year, tourism officials are hoping to reach their goal of three million visitors.
Located in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico, the beautiful island is home to breathtaking natural landscapes such as miles of white sand beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, 236 protected areas, historic towns and cities, and ancient ruins and sites.
The capital, Havana, is a hotspot for tourists with its cobbled streets, old decaying buildings, the bustling Malecon promenade, historic Old Town, and vibrant bars and restaurants.
There are many cultural events to enjoy all year round including the Havana International Ballet Festival, the Havana International Film Festival, and the Havana Jazz Festival which features performances from Cuba's finest musicians and international artists.
Visitors can relax on 20km of white sandy beaches in Varadero, play golf on Cuba's only full golf course, explore the impressive caves and the Hicacos Point Natural Park, or snorkel or scuba dive in the Jardines del Rey archipelago which boasts crystal clear azure ocean waters and a spectacular barrier reef system with diverse marine species such as nurse sharks, stingrays, green morays, sea turtles, jewfish, Atlantic spadefish and barracuda.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...