Visitor arrivals in Cuba rise by five per cent
The island nation of Cuba has recorded a five per cent increase in tourist arrivals in the first four months of 2014, compared to the same period last year, according to the National Statistics and Information Office (ONEI). In 2013 the country received 2,852,572 tourists and tourism officials are aiming to reach their three million target by the end of the year.
The Caribbean island of Cuba has received a rising number of tourists during the first four months of 2014, according to the National Statistics and Information Office (ONEI).
Cuba received a rise in visitor arrivals between January and April this year, a five per cent increase compared to the same period in 2013.
The country recorded 1.28 million tourists in the first four months of 2014, and in April alone 287,103 foreign travellers visited the island, which is a four per cent year-on-year increase.
The majority of tourists originated from Canada, (623,337 arrivals), followed by Germans, British, French and Italians. Last year, 2,852,572 tourists visited Cuba and this year, tourism officials are hoping to reach their goal of three million visitors.
Located in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico, the beautiful island is home to breathtaking natural landscapes such as miles of white sand beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, 236 protected areas, historic towns and cities, and ancient ruins and sites.
The capital, Havana, is a hotspot for tourists with its cobbled streets, old decaying buildings, the bustling Malecon promenade, historic Old Town, and vibrant bars and restaurants.
There are many cultural events to enjoy all year round including the Havana International Ballet Festival, the Havana International Film Festival, and the Havana Jazz Festival which features performances from Cuba's finest musicians and international artists.
Visitors can relax on 20km of white sandy beaches in Varadero, play golf on Cuba's only full golf course, explore the impressive caves and the Hicacos Point Natural Park, or snorkel or scuba dive in the Jardines del Rey archipelago which boasts crystal clear azure ocean waters and a spectacular barrier reef system with diverse marine species such as nurse sharks, stingrays, green morays, sea turtles, jewfish, Atlantic spadefish and barracuda.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...