Discover the best places to see nesting Sea Turtles in Costa Rica
Tulemar Resort in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica is honouring the 14th annual World Turtle Day by providing useful information about the best places to see nesting sea turtles in Costa Rica. The country has several protected turtle nesting areas throughout the country and five of the world's existing species of turtles can be found nesting on its shores at specific times of the year.
The 14th World Turtle Day was honoured all around the globe on Friday 23rd May, 2014 and one resort in Costa Rica, honoured the annual event by providing useful information about the country's best sea turtle nesting sites.
The Tulemar Resort in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica is a coastal resort surrounded by 33 acres of jungle rainforest and Dave Houck, a spokesperson for the resort, has been offering advice on the best times and places to see the beautiful marine creatures.
Five of the world's seven existing species of sea turtles come to the shores of the Central American country every year to build their nests in the sand. Dave Houck explained:
"With locations on both the Pacific and Caribbean coasts, few places in the world have as many sea turtle nesting sites as Costa Rica. We are even beginning to see a small number of the Olive Ridley turtles return to nest on our beaches in Manuel Antonio which is very exciting."
The most popular places and times to catch sightings of nesting sea turtles in the Costa Rica include:
- Olive Ridleys - Santa Rosa National Park and Ostional National Wildlife Refuge in Guanacaste between July to December and sometimes between January and June.
- Leatherbacks - Las Baulas National Marine Park near Tamarindo (early October to mid-February) and Tortuguero National Park on the Caribbean coast from February to June.
- Green turtles and Loggerheads - Tortuguero National Park between July to mid-October.
- Hawksbills - Tortuguero National Park and Cahuita on the Caribbean side between April and October.
Dave Houck also commented:
"The size, the strength, and the beauty of the sea turtle is amazing. Visitors who are lucky enough to see one of these incredible sea creatures come ashore to nest will never forget it. It humbles you and reminds us how unbelievable Mother Nature is."
Costa Rica is one of the most popular destinations in the world for eco-friendly holidays and the country has made efforts to protect the endangered sea turtles by declaring protected turtle nesting areas throughout the country.
Costa Rica boasts some of the world's most breathtaking natural landscapes made up of lush rainforests, volcanoes, majestic mountains, pristine beaches, and cascading waterfalls.
The nation has gained a reputation as destination for green holidays and fun eco adventures and tourists can enjoy an array of adrenalin-pumping activities such as adventurous activities such as trekking, surfing, scuba diving, climbing, rafting, kayaking, mountain biking and horse riding.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Go for the thrills and spills of a naturally rich Central American nation, packed with unforgettable adventures and unique encounters.
- Learn more about Costa Rica with the unique experience of the guided hiking tour, Arenal Volcano National Park Nature Walk, Doka Coffee Tour and much more to explore
- Elegant and comfortable accommodations with quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience
- Includes a guided hiking tour through the rainforest with a lot of insight about flora, fauna and the volcano's history
Surrounding the resort is an up-and-coming surf community, which offers guests with a variety of exciting tours and excursions
- Explorer's Club for kids and Core Zone for teens, while adults can relax by the poolside, enjoy a romantic dinner by the beach or unwind at Dreams Spa by Pevonia
- Perfect location to enjoy nature at its finest, a country renowned for its beaches, volcanoes, and biodiversity
- Spoil yourself with Unlimited-Luxury; gourmet dining options, limitless top-shelf spirits, 24-hour room service and much more all included
Admire Costa Rica's cloud rainforest, climb a volcano, explore verdant grounds on a coffee plantation and relax on a beautiful beach at the end of it all
- Relax and enjoy a beach retreat at Guanacaste after your immersive tour
- Experience Arenal Volcano with its rich fauna and flora
- Enjoy a coffee tour, witness an active volcano and bathe on the Pacific coast
The perfect combination of culture, history and nature with some added downtime at the end to enjoy one of the world's best beaches
- Visit the country's famous shoreline, cloud rainforests, volcano and the charming capital of San Jose
- Tour includes: San Jose City Tour, Sky Walk on Hanging Bridges, Buena Vista hot springs and mud baths, nature walk to La Pava and Salitral Waterfalls, horseback riding and more
- Relax at the hot springs and mud baths, and try your hand at zip lining, horseback riding or river tubing
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
The Hidden Jewels of Costa Rica Tour lets you explore the tropical paradise of Costa Rica and all of it's most...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...