Record tourist arrivals for Dominican Republic in April
The Dominican Republic continues to be one of the most popular holiday destinations in the Caribbean after figures released by the Caribbean Tourism Organisation show a record number of tourists visited the nation in April, 2014. The country recorded 445,018 air arrivals in April this year, a 14.5 per cent increase compared to the same month in 2013.
The Caribbean is one of the leading holiday destinations in the world and the Dominican Republic is one of the region's most popular places to enjoy relaxing sun-drenched breaks.
According to new figures released by the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO), the Dominican Republic recorded its largest ever year-over-year increase ever in April with 445,018 air arrivals in April, a 14.5 per cent increase compared to the same month in 2013.
From January to April this year, the island nation recorded 1,841,675 non-resident air arrivals which is a six per cent increase compared to the same period in 2013. The majority of tourists arrived from the United States.
The Dominican Republic is a nation on the tropical island of Hispaniola located in the Caribbean Sea. The country occupies the eastern two thirds of the island and the remaining third belongs to the nation of Haiti.
Last week, the Dominican Tourism Minister, Francisco Javier Garcia, signed a memorandum of understanding with Stephanie Balmir Villedrouin, Haiti's Tourism Minister, to strengthen cooperative relations in a variety of areas including tourism on the island of Hispaniola. Villedrouin commented:
"This new agreement opens the era of technical cooperation in responsible and sustainable tourism, based on equality and mutual benefit.
In 2013, the Dominican Republic recorded a total 4.69 million visitors, while neighbouring Haiti recorded just 419,736 arrivals.
The Dominican Republic is home to breathtaking landscapes and natural scenery made up of white sand beaches fringed with swaying palm trees; cobalt ocean waters; undulating green hills and winding valleys; rivers, lakes and cascading waterfalls; and soaring mountains.
A popular tourist destination is Punta Cana which is situated in the easternmost part of the country and boasts beautiful white sandy beaches, as well as the popular Bavaro region that is home to the award-winning Bavaro Beach, upscale shopping malls, gourmet restaurants, and an array of luxury beachfront hotels and resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Premium All Inclusive property with a selection of food and beverages on offer
From the allure of the beach to the excellence of premium all-inclusive service, this is the place to make your every holiday dream an unforgettable reality
- Family friendly services including an Explorer's Club for kids and a Core Zone for teens
- De-stress at the world-class spa and select from an indulging array of treatments
- Enjoy an array of activities including watersports, golf, horse riding, organised ball games, aerobic, dance and Spanish classes and more.
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach ensures total relaxation
- The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience includes complimentary dinner, drinks and entertainment at a restaurant or bar at a participating resort of their choice
- Guestrooms and Suites provide a wealth of amenities including a daily refreshed mini bar, 24 hour room and concierge services, a large TV and much more
- The resort has a great location next to a pristine golden sand beach and lush tropical jungle
You'll be instantly rewarded with up to $3,600 resort credit to use towards spa treatments, golf, premium drinks and much more
- Complimentary Tickts available to see Shakira! Call for more details
- Stay for 10 Nights or more and up to 2 kids up to the age of 12 stay free
- Suites feature a double Jacuzzi and fully stocked mini bar including spirits and premium brands
- Choice of 13 swimming pools and 35 spa suites to relax in
- Get up to US$3600 Limitless Resort Credits which can be used towards selected Tours, Golf, Spa, Beauty Salon services, Romantic dinners and much more
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Unwind and enjoy the beauty of the Caribbean Sea at the all-inclusive Now Larimar Punta Cana, located on the...
A holiday on the picturesque beaches of the Dominican Republic is what most everyone dreams about. Make your dreams come...
Enjoy the best of the Dominican Republic with a holiday at Bayahibe, a resort town choke full of attractions. Beside...
Beautifully located on the Dominican Republic´s lush southeast coast, Casa de Campo is a magnificent eco-friendly...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...