Cancun celebrates 44th anniversary as Mexican holiday destination
The Mexican city and region of Cancun will be celebrating its 44th anniversary this year and a series of event were held last week to mark the occasion. What was one an uninhabited area full of unexplored beaches and mangroves us no a thriving holiday destination with hotels, restaurants, shops and a vibrant nightlife.
One of Mexico’s most popular tourist destinations is celebrating its 44th anniversary this year and last week, locals and tourists alike market the occasion with festivities such as exhibitions, concerts and picnics.
In 1970, Cancun was an uninhabited area full of unexplored beaches and mangroves but over the past four decades, the region has become a thriving destination for sun-seekers, spring breakers, and nature-lovers.
The region’s popular hotel zone is home to 26 kilometres of pristine white sand beaches that are fringed by the turquoise Caribbean Sea, and an array of Cancun hotels, restaurants, bars, shops and casinos.
The strip of Caribbean coastline on the Yucatan Peninsula was developed into a tourist resort after many financial institutions including the Bank of Mexico invested in the project in the 1970’s.
The Mexican resort receives more than three million national and international tourists every year and it is now home to luxury accommodation, world-class golf courses and the country’s second largest airport.
Cancun is the perfect foodie destination for travellers who love to sample delicious cuisine and every year, the region hosts the Cancun-Riviera Maya Wine & Food Festival.
It is also a great destination for adventure lovers and Maya Jungle Adventure Park is a new eco-park opened in February this year. The attraction offers activity programmes including rappelling down ancient cenotes, snorkelling in underground river systems, tours in off-road vehicles, zip-lining, and kayaking.
Another popular attraction is the Museum of Underwater Modern Art which was created by English artist Jason deCaires Taylor and is located in the National Marine Park of Isla Mujeres. It is home to 400 life-sized sculptures that reflect Mayan people and symbolise the relationship between humans and nature. The museum is one of the largest artificial reef attractions in the world and since its opening in 2009 the site has attracted thousands of scuba divers and snorkelers.
There are plenty of fun activities to enjoy and tourists can go zip lining through verdant jungles; scuba diving beneath the surface of the turquoise ocean to explore the famous underwater museum and spectacular marine life; trekking through verdant rainforests that are thriving with diverse wildlife; or explore the region’s ancient Mayan ruins and temples in Tulum and Chichen Itza, that show that civilisation in the area dates back to 2600 BC.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cancun Beach Browse all
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
Whether you desire tranquil relaxation or round-the-clock excitement, there is plenty on offer to suit all tastes.
- Vibrant nightlife with a nightclub, theatre and various events showcasing in-house performers, complementing the many bars
- Exceptional culinary range offering something for every occasion
- All inclusive programme include unlimited food and beverages, plus access to beautiful gardens and private beaches
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Up to two kids go free on selected dates
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
SeaDust Cancun is set by the beautiful Playa Delfines, overlooking the Caribbean Sea. This resort truly offers something...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
No matter if you're returning or if this is your first time to Cancun, days full of entertainment and fine dining at the...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...