Cancun celebrates 44th anniversary as Mexican holiday destination
The Mexican city and region of Cancun will be celebrating its 44th anniversary this year and a series of event were held last week to mark the occasion. What was one an uninhabited area full of unexplored beaches and mangroves us no a thriving holiday destination with hotels, restaurants, shops and a vibrant nightlife.
One of Mexico’s most popular tourist destinations is celebrating its 44th anniversary this year and last week, locals and tourists alike market the occasion with festivities such as exhibitions, concerts and picnics.
In 1970, Cancun was an uninhabited area full of unexplored beaches and mangroves but over the past four decades, the region has become a thriving destination for sun-seekers, spring breakers, and nature-lovers.
The region’s popular hotel zone is home to 26 kilometres of pristine white sand beaches that are fringed by the turquoise Caribbean Sea, and an array of Cancun hotels, restaurants, bars, shops and casinos.
The strip of Caribbean coastline on the Yucatan Peninsula was developed into a tourist resort after many financial institutions including the Bank of Mexico invested in the project in the 1970’s.
The Mexican resort receives more than three million national and international tourists every year and it is now home to luxury accommodation, world-class golf courses and the country’s second largest airport.
Cancun is the perfect foodie destination for travellers who love to sample delicious cuisine and every year, the region hosts the Cancun-Riviera Maya Wine & Food Festival.
It is also a great destination for adventure lovers and Maya Jungle Adventure Park is a new eco-park opened in February this year. The attraction offers activity programmes including rappelling down ancient cenotes, snorkelling in underground river systems, tours in off-road vehicles, zip-lining, and kayaking.
Another popular attraction is the Museum of Underwater Modern Art which was created by English artist Jason deCaires Taylor and is located in the National Marine Park of Isla Mujeres. It is home to 400 life-sized sculptures that reflect Mayan people and symbolise the relationship between humans and nature. The museum is one of the largest artificial reef attractions in the world and since its opening in 2009 the site has attracted thousands of scuba divers and snorkelers.
There are plenty of fun activities to enjoy and tourists can go zip lining through verdant jungles; scuba diving beneath the surface of the turquoise ocean to explore the famous underwater museum and spectacular marine life; trekking through verdant rainforests that are thriving with diverse wildlife; or explore the region’s ancient Mayan ruins and temples in Tulum and Chichen Itza, that show that civilisation in the area dates back to 2600 BC.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cancun Beach Browse all
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Awaken and pamper your senses at a unique retreat conceived for the pleasure of adults-only and where personal service, genuine atmosphere and luxury awaits...
- Indulge from a choice of 5 restaurants - including Siete offering traditional Mexican specialities
- Immerse in your senses and seek inner peace with access to the hotel Spa
- Relax and unwind from a choice of 8 varying temperature swimming pools or select massaging jets from one of the Jacuzzis
Enjoy the holiday of a lifetime in Mexico's renowned Cancun coastline lapping up the awesome weather for 8 blissful...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Rejuvenate in a peaceful and soothing atmosphere during a memorable holiday at the all-inclusive Gran Caribe Resort and...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...