Vietnam attracting a record number of travellers
A number of tour operators are reporting a sharp growth in the number of Britons booking holidays in Vietnam in recent times. These reports corroborate a wider trend of increased interest in the Southeast Asian destination with Vietnam officials reporting a 10.6 per cent increase in the number of international travellers to Vietnam.
At the end of January 2013, Vietnam's National Administration of Tourism (VNAT) announced that Vietnam had attracted over 7.57 million international visitors in 2013, a remarkable feat especially in light of the fact that the target was set at 7.2 million for the year.
According to the official figures, the number of international visitors to Vietnam in 2013 grew by 10.6 per cent from the previous year and generated approximately $9.4 million USD for the country. Reports coming out the UK suggest that Vietnam's growth is set to continue in 2014 and beyond.
The Telegraph recently quoted several tour operators who noted a boom in booking for Vietnam holidays in recent times. Trailfinder, Wexas, Audely Travel and Kuoni all cite Vietnam as a leading holiday destination of choice for Britons.
A spokesperson for Wexas attributed the growing popularity to the fact that travellers wanted to experience Vietnam, its idyllic beaches destination like Saigon and Hoi Ann and of course the UNESCO World Heritage sites Ha Long Bay and Phong Nha Ke Bang before the country became too commercial.
She also noted the value for money that Vietnam holidays brings in addition to its proximity to other key holiday destinations, and commented:
"Vietnam is still comparatively good value for dining and shopping, and direct flights with Vietnam Airlines, as well as a growing network of indirect flights, mean that getting there is simpler and more affordable than ever before... This network also allows travellers to easily add-on visits to Cambodia, Thailand and Laos".
A spokesperson for Audley Travel, noted a 15 per cent growth in their booking for holidays to Vietnam and much like other industry insiders, she noted that her clients were most interested in authentic, off the beaten path experiences:
"There has been a demand for unusual but authentic tours, such as Saigon After Dark, where travellers can visit local eateries on the back of a scooter with a guide, sampling food and finishing the evening at a local music venue".
With its own unique mixture of bustling cities, serene beaches and a rich cultural heritage it is no surprise that popularity of Vietnam as a holiday destination continues to grow by leaps in bounds each year not only with Britons but with travellers from around the world.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Vietnam Browse all
Feel at one with the surroundings at the beautiful Mango Bay Resort
- Mango Bay has been supporting wildlife at risk (WAR) since 2006, and has even discovered many new species on Phu Quoc Island
- Revitalise your mind, body and spirit with Yoga and Tai Chi on the beach
- Snorkel and scuba dive around the nearby islands with Flipper Diving Club and discover the truly stunning and beautiful world underwater
Join an adventure through Vietnam’s most memorable sights culminating in a tropical island stay
- Time to relax on the stunning beaches and turquoise waters of Phu Quoc tropical island
- Overnight cruise on a traditionally-designed junk boat on Halong Bay with meals included
- Entrance fees for all included sightseeing, meals as per itinerary and local guides included
An in-depth exploration of Vietnam taking in Saigon, the Mekong Delta, Hoi An, Hue and Hanoi with time left over to relax on the beach
- Overnight cruise on a traditional Junk boat on Halong Bay with meals included
- Time to relax on the picturesque beaches of central Vietnam
- Local guides in each destination and entrance fees for all included sightseeing
Explore the most iconic sites of Indochina during the unforgettable Highlights of Indochina, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos - Deluxe Tour
You will visit historical sites of Vietnam, discover the heritage of Laos, and explore the beautiful Angkor Complex in Cambodia.
- Tour around Ben Tre River in Vietnam and enjoy a variety of activities, including a visit to any of coconut processing workshops and riding a motocart through rice fields and vegetable plains.
- Watch the sun rise over the blue waters of tranquil Halong Bay, and then cruise through emerald waters of the Gulf of Tonkin.
- Participate in Baci Ceremony, an integral part of the Laos culture, and explore the Luang Prabang Night Market with its handmade textiles and local street food
Exotic and compelling, Vietnam is one of the most remarkable travel destinations in the world. The Essential Vietnam...
Wander from exciting cities to astonishing scenic beauty via peaceful beaches on a tour through the most remarkable...
Wander from exciting cities to astonishing scenic beauty via peaceful beaches and the best preserved old towns in...
See all the most iconic sights of Indochina on this trip of a lifetime through Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Explore the...