Whale watching season is underway in Costa Rica
Costa Rica's whale watching season has launched with tour operators noting that every tour at the Marino Ballena National Park has had sightings of these majestic creatures in the past few weeks. Costa Rica boasts the longest whale watching season in the world as its waters offer the ideal conditions for the Humpbacks' mating and calving.
"The whales are back" declared one Costa Rica tour operator. Tourism officials and holidaymakers alike will be pleased to learn that whale watching season in Costa Rica is now officially underway.
This is now the prime opportunity to witness first hand the majestic beauty of the Humpback Whales, who visit Costa Rica's Pacific Coast twice each year during the period December to April and July to late October.
Rafael Sanchez of tour operator, Bahia Adventures stated excitedly:
"We are pleased to say that every whale watching tour we had last week saw humpbacks".
The body of water that stretches from Playa Dominical down to the Panamanian border, otherwise known as The Costa Rican Thermal Convection Dome, provides the perfect conditions for the Humpback whales that make the arduous journey from the Arctic to mate and then later give birth in these relatively safe waters.
These waters feature a shallow layer of warm water which rests above low-oxygen, cold water and is proven to be the ideal ecosystem for the mating and calving of the Humpback Whale. Whale watching season is one of the crown jewels of Costa Rica's tourism product as they offer the longest whale watching season in the world.
Notably, Costa Rica recorded a record breaking number of international travellers who visited the country in 2013, with 2.4 million visitors representing a 3.6 increase over the previous year. However, despite the strong figures the National Tourism Chamber (CANATUR), comprised of private sector business owners, expressed their dissatisfaction with the sector's performance stating:
"We always consider any increase in the number of visitors as positive, but we can't say we're satisfied – it's not enough... Costa Rica has the natural conditions and a tourist product to attract more travelers than those who are coming now".
Perhaps as more travellers become aware of the unique opportunity to see the Humpback Whale against the backdrop of Costa Rica's breathtaking landscapes, the country's tourism stakeholders, including CANATUR, will see further growth in the coming years.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Surrounding the resort is an up-and-coming surf community, which offers guests with a variety of exciting tours and excursions
- Explorer's Club for kids and Core Zone for teens, while adults can relax by the poolside, enjoy a romantic dinner by the beach or unwind at Dreams Spa by Pevonia
- Perfect location to enjoy nature at its finest, a country renowned for its beaches, volcanoes, and biodiversity
- Spoil yourself with Unlimited-Luxury; gourmet dining options, limitless top-shelf spirits, 24-hour room service and much more all included
Admire Costa Rica's cloud rainforest, climb a volcano, explore verdant grounds on a coffee plantation and relax on a beautiful beach at the end of it all
- Relax and enjoy a beach retreat at Guanacaste after your immersive tour
- Experience Arenal Volcano with its rich fauna and flora
- Enjoy a coffee tour, witness an active volcano and bathe on the Pacific coast
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
The perfect combination of culture, history and nature with some added downtime at the end to enjoy one of the world's best beaches
- Visit the country's famous shoreline, cloud rainforests, volcano and the charming capital of San Jose
- Tour includes: San Jose City Tour, Sky Walk on Hanging Bridges, Buena Vista hot springs and mud baths, nature walk to La Pava and Salitral Waterfalls, horseback riding and more
- Relax at the hot springs and mud baths, and try your hand at zip lining, horseback riding or river tubing
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
The Hidden Jewels of Costa Rica Tour lets you explore the tropical paradise of Costa Rica and all of it's most...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...