Whale watching season is underway in Costa Rica
Costa Rica's whale watching season has launched with tour operators noting that every tour at the Marino Ballena National Park has had sightings of these majestic creatures in the past few weeks. Costa Rica boasts the longest whale watching season in the world as its waters offer the ideal conditions for the Humpbacks' mating and calving.
"The whales are back" declared one Costa Rica tour operator. Tourism officials and holidaymakers alike will be pleased to learn that whale watching season in Costa Rica is now officially underway.
This is now the prime opportunity to witness first hand the majestic beauty of the Humpback Whales, who visit Costa Rica's Pacific Coast twice each year during the period December to April and July to late October.
Rafael Sanchez of tour operator, Bahia Adventures stated excitedly:
"We are pleased to say that every whale watching tour we had last week saw humpbacks".
The body of water that stretches from Playa Dominical down to the Panamanian border, otherwise known as The Costa Rican Thermal Convection Dome, provides the perfect conditions for the Humpback whales that make the arduous journey from the Arctic to mate and then later give birth in these relatively safe waters.
These waters feature a shallow layer of warm water which rests above low-oxygen, cold water and is proven to be the ideal ecosystem for the mating and calving of the Humpback Whale. Whale watching season is one of the crown jewels of Costa Rica's tourism product as they offer the longest whale watching season in the world.
Notably, Costa Rica recorded a record breaking number of international travellers who visited the country in 2013, with 2.4 million visitors representing a 3.6 increase over the previous year. However, despite the strong figures the National Tourism Chamber (CANATUR), comprised of private sector business owners, expressed their dissatisfaction with the sector's performance stating:
"We always consider any increase in the number of visitors as positive, but we can't say we're satisfied – it's not enough... Costa Rica has the natural conditions and a tourist product to attract more travelers than those who are coming now".
Perhaps as more travellers become aware of the unique opportunity to see the Humpback Whale against the backdrop of Costa Rica's breathtaking landscapes, the country's tourism stakeholders, including CANATUR, will see further growth in the coming years.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Explore the Caribbean side of the country that has a culture of its own with joyful Reggae Music the beat of the region
- Discover the amazing Sloths at the Sloth Sanctuary in a little bit of paradise with various other animals to see along with fauna in the tropical rainforest setting
- Services of an English-Speaking local Guide shall be provided for the sightseeing & excursion tours only as per the itinerary
- Enjoy various other excursions on this tour including a Tortuguero Canals Boat Tour, Boat ride over La Estrella River along with much more
You are sure to marvel at nature's treasures in Costa Rica, a paradise of lush forests, crystal coves, fine-sand beaches and exotic wildlife
- Marvel at Costa Rica's array of stunning settings, including forests, volcanic cliffs, beaches.
- Try snorkelling, kayaking, tennis, bocce ball, chess, access to a scuba clinic & more
- Relish unlimited Costa Rican and world cuisines in 4 and restaurants and 4 bars
The perfect combination of Costa Rican culture and nature with added time for beach relaxation
- Enjoy a tour with perfect balance of adventure, culture and relaxation sure to make for a holiday to remember
- Thrills include river-rafting and a guided walk through hanging bridges
- A relaxing beach at the end stay rounds up the experience offering a chance to recharge batteries
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife, it's an...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...