Winter season in Jamaica "performing well" according to tourism minister
Dr. Wykeham McNeill, the Minister of Tourism and Entertainment in Jamaica, ha said that the winter tourist season is "performing well" and is already recording an increasing in tourists compared to last year. The winter tourist season is now in its second month and the tourism official said that he was pleased to see the continuous efforts made by travel agencies and individuals to celebrate the birthday of Bob Marley.
Jamaica's Minister of Tourism and Entertainment, Dr. Wykeham McNeill, has announced that the winter season is "performing well" so far.
During a visit to Trench Town, St Andrew in Jamaica last week, the tourism official said that visitor arrivals were up compared to the same period last year. McNeill praised the efforts of travel agencies and individuals who continue to celebrate the birthday of reggae icon Bob Marley, who would have been 69 years old this year, through activities and events in the country's capital, Kingston. Dr McNeill said:
"We market Kingston as the cultural capital of the Caribbean, but there is so much more we have to offer, and what we want to do is to determine how we can develop this into a more formal tour."
The preliminary figures show that in its second month of the tourist winter season, visitor arrivals to Jamaica are up by 4.7 per cent compared to the winter season in 2013. The tourism minister believes that the recent severe weather in the United States has affected the number of America tourist arrivals because many flights to Jamaica have been cancelled or postponed.
Jamaica is an island nation situated in the Caribbean Sea and it is one of the world's leading tourist destinations. With white sand beaches fringed with warm turquoise ocean waters, soaring mountains, cascading waterfalls, verdant undulating green hills, and dense forests, travellers will have plenty of opportunities to soak up the country's stunning natural scenery.
Holidaymakers can explore the island's natural wonders such as Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios, the five-mile-long Doctor's Cave Beach in Montego Bay, lush botanical gardens, and the majestic Blue Mountains.
The famous Bob Marley Museum, Kingston Harbour, and Rose Hall House, a former sugar plantation, are just a few of the attractions that entice tourists to the tropical island.
Last year, the island nation received more than two million visitors; a significant increase compared to 1.3 million visitors in 2003. Popular places to enjoy sun, sand and relaxation in Jamaica include Montego Bay, Negril, and Ocho Rios.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- All Inclusive Resort with all meals and beverages included
- Family Friendly Hotel where up to 2 Kids can stay and play for free
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
Enjoy the affordable Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay with a fantastic location
- Two Children, 12 years of age and younger stay and eat free of charge
- Choose thrilling water sports while your kids enjoy the Children's activity centre
- Summer 2018 Sale now extended, save £250 per person
- Enjoy buffet or a la carte meals as part of the All Inclusive concept at five on-site restaurants
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments at Moon Palace Jamaica
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free and a saving of upto 14%
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay. Located...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a picture postcard made real. Secrets Wild Orchid sits in one of Jamaica's premier resorts,...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...