Winter season in Jamaica "performing well" according to tourism minister
Dr. Wykeham McNeill, the Minister of Tourism and Entertainment in Jamaica, ha said that the winter tourist season is "performing well" and is already recording an increasing in tourists compared to last year. The winter tourist season is now in its second month and the tourism official said that he was pleased to see the continuous efforts made by travel agencies and individuals to celebrate the birthday of Bob Marley.
Jamaica's Minister of Tourism and Entertainment, Dr. Wykeham McNeill, has announced that the winter season is "performing well" so far.
During a visit to Trench Town, St Andrew in Jamaica last week, the tourism official said that visitor arrivals were up compared to the same period last year. McNeill praised the efforts of travel agencies and individuals who continue to celebrate the birthday of reggae icon Bob Marley, who would have been 69 years old this year, through activities and events in the country's capital, Kingston. Dr McNeill said:
"We market Kingston as the cultural capital of the Caribbean, but there is so much more we have to offer, and what we want to do is to determine how we can develop this into a more formal tour."
The preliminary figures show that in its second month of the tourist winter season, visitor arrivals to Jamaica are up by 4.7 per cent compared to the winter season in 2013. The tourism minister believes that the recent severe weather in the United States has affected the number of America tourist arrivals because many flights to Jamaica have been cancelled or postponed.
Jamaica is an island nation situated in the Caribbean Sea and it is one of the world's leading tourist destinations. With white sand beaches fringed with warm turquoise ocean waters, soaring mountains, cascading waterfalls, verdant undulating green hills, and dense forests, travellers will have plenty of opportunities to soak up the country's stunning natural scenery.
Holidaymakers can explore the island's natural wonders such as Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios, the five-mile-long Doctor's Cave Beach in Montego Bay, lush botanical gardens, and the majestic Blue Mountains.
The famous Bob Marley Museum, Kingston Harbour, and Rose Hall House, a former sugar plantation, are just a few of the attractions that entice tourists to the tropical island.
Last year, the island nation received more than two million visitors; a significant increase compared to 1.3 million visitors in 2003. Popular places to enjoy sun, sand and relaxation in Jamaica include Montego Bay, Negril, and Ocho Rios.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Metro Offer: Book and Save upto £100 per person!
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
Luxury and romance at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
- Catamaran for the exclusive use by Secrets Resorts & Spas guests
- World-class Spa by Pevonia®
- Exclusively situated on Montego Bay’s breathtaking Peninsula, surrounded by the Caribbean Sea
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth at Mangos Jamaica
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Nestled upon a stunning beach The Rondel Village Hotel is within close proximity to the entertainment and activities...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...