John Prescott swaps technology for relaxation during trip to Cuba
Former Deputy Prime Minister, John Prescott, has always been keen to visit the island of Cuba and this finally happened for the British politician after he took a recent trip to the Caribbean nation with his son. During his trip to the communist island, Prescott visited the bustling capital of Havana, Vinales Valley, and the beach resort of Varadero.
When British politician and former Deputy Prime Minister, John Prescott was 17 years old, he took a job as a steward on a Cunard cruise liner where he spent years travelling around the world.
Cuba was high on his list of travel destinations but on 8th January, 1959, the day his ship was scheduled to arrive on the Caribbean island, Castro entered Havana and all day trips to the island were cancelled.
More than 50 years later, Prescott had the chance to visit the beautiful country, this time with his son for a rare relaxing 10-day holiday and no mobile phone signal.
The first port of call was the bustling capital city Havana and Prescott and his son stayed at the five-star Melia Habana, which is approximately 30 minutes from the historic district.
In his recent article in the Guardian, Prescott wrote:
"Havana is a dynamic, energetic city. People packed the narrow, cobbled streets of the old town as we began our first day of exploration. They constantly stopped to greet each other with a handshake, a kiss or a song."
"One thing that did live up to my cliched image of Havana was the architecture. The buildings were beautiful, with an air of faded glory," he added.
After two days of sightseeing in Havana and a night at the famous open-air Tropicana nightclub sampling the local cigars and "Cuba Libre" (rum and cola) drinks, Prescott spent the following day on a trip to the verdant Viñales Valley. The national park is home to the Del Indio caves with huge colourful rock paintings that celebrate the revolution, and cigar factories where the world-famous Cuban cigars are produced.
Prescott left the vivacious city and headed east to the beach resort of Varadero that is located on a peninsular and boasts more than 20 kilometres of white sandy beaches and turquoise waters. Their base this time was the Melia Varadero hotel, a sister property to their hotel in Havana, with five restaurants and a large swimming pool.
Though the politician is a trained diver from his time spent campaigning for health and safety on the oil rigs in the 70's, Prescott does not have a scuba diving certification so, aside from swimming, the only way he could enjoy the crystal clear waters of Cuba was by taking a day-long catamaran trip around the coast where an onboard barbecue, free bar, and swimming with dolphins was on offer.
"I didn't fancy getting wet, plus I've done plenty of this sort of thing in my life, so I gave the dolphins a miss, but it was wonderful to watch them jump into the arms of the swimmers."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...