John Prescott swaps technology for relaxation during trip to Cuba
Former Deputy Prime Minister, John Prescott, has always been keen to visit the island of Cuba and this finally happened for the British politician after he took a recent trip to the Caribbean nation with his son. During his trip to the communist island, Prescott visited the bustling capital of Havana, Vinales Valley, and the beach resort of Varadero.
When British politician and former Deputy Prime Minister, John Prescott was 17 years old, he took a job as a steward on a Cunard cruise liner where he spent years travelling around the world.
Cuba was high on his list of travel destinations but on 8th January, 1959, the day his ship was scheduled to arrive on the Caribbean island, Castro entered Havana and all day trips to the island were cancelled.
More than 50 years later, Prescott had the chance to visit the beautiful country, this time with his son for a rare relaxing 10-day holiday and no mobile phone signal.
The first port of call was the bustling capital city Havana and Prescott and his son stayed at the five-star Melia Habana, which is approximately 30 minutes from the historic district.
In his recent article in the Guardian, Prescott wrote:
"Havana is a dynamic, energetic city. People packed the narrow, cobbled streets of the old town as we began our first day of exploration. They constantly stopped to greet each other with a handshake, a kiss or a song."
"One thing that did live up to my cliched image of Havana was the architecture. The buildings were beautiful, with an air of faded glory," he added.
After two days of sightseeing in Havana and a night at the famous open-air Tropicana nightclub sampling the local cigars and "Cuba Libre" (rum and cola) drinks, Prescott spent the following day on a trip to the verdant Viñales Valley. The national park is home to the Del Indio caves with huge colourful rock paintings that celebrate the revolution, and cigar factories where the world-famous Cuban cigars are produced.
Prescott left the vivacious city and headed east to the beach resort of Varadero that is located on a peninsular and boasts more than 20 kilometres of white sandy beaches and turquoise waters. Their base this time was the Melia Varadero hotel, a sister property to their hotel in Havana, with five restaurants and a large swimming pool.
Though the politician is a trained diver from his time spent campaigning for health and safety on the oil rigs in the 70's, Prescott does not have a scuba diving certification so, aside from swimming, the only way he could enjoy the crystal clear waters of Cuba was by taking a day-long catamaran trip around the coast where an onboard barbecue, free bar, and swimming with dolphins was on offer.
"I didn't fancy getting wet, plus I've done plenty of this sort of thing in my life, so I gave the dolphins a miss, but it was wonderful to watch them jump into the arms of the swimmers."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31th Oct
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...