John Prescott swaps technology for relaxation during trip to Cuba
Former Deputy Prime Minister, John Prescott, has always been keen to visit the island of Cuba and this finally happened for the British politician after he took a recent trip to the Caribbean nation with his son. During his trip to the communist island, Prescott visited the bustling capital of Havana, Vinales Valley, and the beach resort of Varadero.
When British politician and former Deputy Prime Minister, John Prescott was 17 years old, he took a job as a steward on a Cunard cruise liner where he spent years travelling around the world.
Cuba was high on his list of travel destinations but on 8th January, 1959, the day his ship was scheduled to arrive on the Caribbean island, Castro entered Havana and all day trips to the island were cancelled.
More than 50 years later, Prescott had the chance to visit the beautiful country, this time with his son for a rare relaxing 10-day holiday and no mobile phone signal.
The first port of call was the bustling capital city Havana and Prescott and his son stayed at the five-star Melia Habana, which is approximately 30 minutes from the historic district.
In his recent article in the Guardian, Prescott wrote:
"Havana is a dynamic, energetic city. People packed the narrow, cobbled streets of the old town as we began our first day of exploration. They constantly stopped to greet each other with a handshake, a kiss or a song."
"One thing that did live up to my cliched image of Havana was the architecture. The buildings were beautiful, with an air of faded glory," he added.
After two days of sightseeing in Havana and a night at the famous open-air Tropicana nightclub sampling the local cigars and "Cuba Libre" (rum and cola) drinks, Prescott spent the following day on a trip to the verdant Viñales Valley. The national park is home to the Del Indio caves with huge colourful rock paintings that celebrate the revolution, and cigar factories where the world-famous Cuban cigars are produced.
Prescott left the vivacious city and headed east to the beach resort of Varadero that is located on a peninsular and boasts more than 20 kilometres of white sandy beaches and turquoise waters. Their base this time was the Melia Varadero hotel, a sister property to their hotel in Havana, with five restaurants and a large swimming pool.
Though the politician is a trained diver from his time spent campaigning for health and safety on the oil rigs in the 70's, Prescott does not have a scuba diving certification so, aside from swimming, the only way he could enjoy the crystal clear waters of Cuba was by taking a day-long catamaran trip around the coast where an onboard barbecue, free bar, and swimming with dolphins was on offer.
"I didn't fancy getting wet, plus I've done plenty of this sort of thing in my life, so I gave the dolphins a miss, but it was wonderful to watch them jump into the arms of the swimmers."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...