Flight from Key West to Cuba takes off for the first time in more than 50 years
A commercial Cuba flight has flown from Key West in the United States to Havana in Cuba for the first time since 1960. The nine-passenger Cessna Conquest II aircraft was a test run flight taking travellers on a people-to-people exchange programme organised by the Florida Keys Tropical Research Ecological Exchange Institute.
A commercial passenger flight has flown from Key West in the United States to Cuba's capital Havana for the first time more than 50 years.
The nine-passenger Cessna Conquest II aircraft took off on a test run on 30th December, 2013 making it the first flight to Cuba from Key West in Florida since 1960.
Peter Horton, the director of Key West airport, explained:
"Whether this is going to be a regular service has not yet been determined,"
The new flights to Cuba were given the green light in October, 2011, after U.S President Barack Obama relaxed restrictions on Cuba travel for American residents. However, charter operators had to spend two years getting the required approvals from the U.S and Cuban authorities and Key West is only currently approved to carry up to 10 passengers and crew members at a time on flights to Cuba.
Of the nine passengers onboard the aircraft, five planned to enjoy their time in Cuba as part of the "people-to-people" programme that focuses on the island nation's culture and environment and was organised by the Florida Keys Tropical Research Ecological Exchange Institute. The trip will involve meet-ups with Cubans at the country's botanical gardens, organic farms and cultural centres.
"We're doing some really meaningful things there, working with botanical gardens, scientists, researchers, all the people there to help preserve their environment and ecology," stated Carolann Sharkey, the institute's trip organiser.
The Mayor of Key West, Craig Cates, was on the flight to Cuba last Monday but he did not venture beyond the airport terminal at Havana (HAV).
"We're 90 miles away from Cuba," said Cates. "We're closer to Cuba than Miami. We haven't had flights over there in 50 years. It's going to be great for the city of Key West - cultural exchange, historic exchange, to be able to go back and forth directly from Key West."
After the Obama administration relaxed restrictions for U.S travellers planning holidays to Cuba in 2011, the new laws have enabled more tourists to visit the communist country for the first time through organised tours and charters.
U.S travel companies that are licensed by the U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control are now permitted to operate itineraries and activity programmes in Cuba for religious, educational, academic and cultural purposes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31th Oct
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...