Flight from Key West to Cuba takes off for the first time in more than 50 years
A commercial Cuba flight has flown from Key West in the United States to Havana in Cuba for the first time since 1960. The nine-passenger Cessna Conquest II aircraft was a test run flight taking travellers on a people-to-people exchange programme organised by the Florida Keys Tropical Research Ecological Exchange Institute.
A commercial passenger flight has flown from Key West in the United States to Cuba's capital Havana for the first time more than 50 years.
The nine-passenger Cessna Conquest II aircraft took off on a test run on 30th December, 2013 making it the first flight to Cuba from Key West in Florida since 1960.
Peter Horton, the director of Key West airport, explained:
"Whether this is going to be a regular service has not yet been determined,"
The new flights to Cuba were given the green light in October, 2011, after U.S President Barack Obama relaxed restrictions on Cuba travel for American residents. However, charter operators had to spend two years getting the required approvals from the U.S and Cuban authorities and Key West is only currently approved to carry up to 10 passengers and crew members at a time on flights to Cuba.
Of the nine passengers onboard the aircraft, five planned to enjoy their time in Cuba as part of the "people-to-people" programme that focuses on the island nation's culture and environment and was organised by the Florida Keys Tropical Research Ecological Exchange Institute. The trip will involve meet-ups with Cubans at the country's botanical gardens, organic farms and cultural centres.
"We're doing some really meaningful things there, working with botanical gardens, scientists, researchers, all the people there to help preserve their environment and ecology," stated Carolann Sharkey, the institute's trip organiser.
The Mayor of Key West, Craig Cates, was on the flight to Cuba last Monday but he did not venture beyond the airport terminal at Havana (HAV).
"We're 90 miles away from Cuba," said Cates. "We're closer to Cuba than Miami. We haven't had flights over there in 50 years. It's going to be great for the city of Key West - cultural exchange, historic exchange, to be able to go back and forth directly from Key West."
After the Obama administration relaxed restrictions for U.S travellers planning holidays to Cuba in 2011, the new laws have enabled more tourists to visit the communist country for the first time through organised tours and charters.
U.S travel companies that are licensed by the U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control are now permitted to operate itineraries and activity programmes in Cuba for religious, educational, academic and cultural purposes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- All inclusive features a buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants and a choice of 4 bars (Local Sprits, Wine, beer & soft drinks served)
- Fantastic all-inclusive package with unlimited drinks 24/7
- Excellent selection of bars and restaurants Offers 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel during summer 2017
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...