Flight from Key West to Cuba takes off for the first time in more than 50 years
A commercial Cuba flight has flown from Key West in the United States to Havana in Cuba for the first time since 1960. The nine-passenger Cessna Conquest II aircraft was a test run flight taking travellers on a people-to-people exchange programme organised by the Florida Keys Tropical Research Ecological Exchange Institute.
A commercial passenger flight has flown from Key West in the United States to Cuba's capital Havana for the first time more than 50 years.
The nine-passenger Cessna Conquest II aircraft took off on a test run on 30th December, 2013 making it the first flight to Cuba from Key West in Florida since 1960.
Peter Horton, the director of Key West airport, explained:
"Whether this is going to be a regular service has not yet been determined,"
The new flights to Cuba were given the green light in October, 2011, after U.S President Barack Obama relaxed restrictions on Cuba travel for American residents. However, charter operators had to spend two years getting the required approvals from the U.S and Cuban authorities and Key West is only currently approved to carry up to 10 passengers and crew members at a time on flights to Cuba.
Of the nine passengers onboard the aircraft, five planned to enjoy their time in Cuba as part of the "people-to-people" programme that focuses on the island nation's culture and environment and was organised by the Florida Keys Tropical Research Ecological Exchange Institute. The trip will involve meet-ups with Cubans at the country's botanical gardens, organic farms and cultural centres.
"We're doing some really meaningful things there, working with botanical gardens, scientists, researchers, all the people there to help preserve their environment and ecology," stated Carolann Sharkey, the institute's trip organiser.
The Mayor of Key West, Craig Cates, was on the flight to Cuba last Monday but he did not venture beyond the airport terminal at Havana (HAV).
"We're 90 miles away from Cuba," said Cates. "We're closer to Cuba than Miami. We haven't had flights over there in 50 years. It's going to be great for the city of Key West - cultural exchange, historic exchange, to be able to go back and forth directly from Key West."
After the Obama administration relaxed restrictions for U.S travellers planning holidays to Cuba in 2011, the new laws have enabled more tourists to visit the communist country for the first time through organised tours and charters.
U.S travel companies that are licensed by the U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control are now permitted to operate itineraries and activity programmes in Cuba for religious, educational, academic and cultural purposes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...