Flight from Key West to Cuba takes off for the first time in more than 50 years
A commercial Cuba flight has flown from Key West in the United States to Havana in Cuba for the first time since 1960. The nine-passenger Cessna Conquest II aircraft was a test run flight taking travellers on a people-to-people exchange programme organised by the Florida Keys Tropical Research Ecological Exchange Institute.
A commercial passenger flight has flown from Key West in the United States to Cuba's capital Havana for the first time more than 50 years.
The nine-passenger Cessna Conquest II aircraft took off on a test run on 30th December, 2013 making it the first flight to Cuba from Key West in Florida since 1960.
Peter Horton, the director of Key West airport, explained:
"Whether this is going to be a regular service has not yet been determined,"
The new flights to Cuba were given the green light in October, 2011, after U.S President Barack Obama relaxed restrictions on Cuba travel for American residents. However, charter operators had to spend two years getting the required approvals from the U.S and Cuban authorities and Key West is only currently approved to carry up to 10 passengers and crew members at a time on flights to Cuba.
Of the nine passengers onboard the aircraft, five planned to enjoy their time in Cuba as part of the "people-to-people" programme that focuses on the island nation's culture and environment and was organised by the Florida Keys Tropical Research Ecological Exchange Institute. The trip will involve meet-ups with Cubans at the country's botanical gardens, organic farms and cultural centres.
"We're doing some really meaningful things there, working with botanical gardens, scientists, researchers, all the people there to help preserve their environment and ecology," stated Carolann Sharkey, the institute's trip organiser.
The Mayor of Key West, Craig Cates, was on the flight to Cuba last Monday but he did not venture beyond the airport terminal at Havana (HAV).
"We're 90 miles away from Cuba," said Cates. "We're closer to Cuba than Miami. We haven't had flights over there in 50 years. It's going to be great for the city of Key West - cultural exchange, historic exchange, to be able to go back and forth directly from Key West."
After the Obama administration relaxed restrictions for U.S travellers planning holidays to Cuba in 2011, the new laws have enabled more tourists to visit the communist country for the first time through organised tours and charters.
U.S travel companies that are licensed by the U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control are now permitted to operate itineraries and activity programmes in Cuba for religious, educational, academic and cultural purposes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
Soak up the Caribbean sun on Varadero’s white sands
- The state of the art facilities and décor, that ensure a comfortable stay
- The daytime activities program & Kids club.
- The perfect location along one of the most spectacular stretches of beach in Cuba.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...