Havana's famous Capri Hotel to reopen this winter
The famous Capri Hotel in Havana, Cuba will be reopening this winter after being close for four years. The reopening of the hotel, which is famous for its reference by Mario Puzo in the novel "The Godfather", is part of Cuba's tourism minister's plan to increase accommodation options in time for the winter season, which is the island's busiest time of year.
After four years of being closed while repairs were carried out, the famous Capri Hotel will be reopening this winter.
The Capri Hotel in Havana, Cuba is famous for its reference by Mario Puzo in the novel "The Godfather" and it was built in 1958 by Santo Traficante, a New York mobster.
The reopening of the hotel is part of Cuba's Tourism Minister's promotional activities to increase accommodation options in time for the winter season which is the Caribbean nation's busiest time of year for holidaymakers.
The Commercial Director of the Ministry, Manuel Bisbe, spoke at a press conference recently and announced that three Italian clubs operated by Alpitur and Eden Viaggi firms will be opening in Varadero, and Santa Maria and Largo Keys.
Cuba's recent visitor arrivals were down slightly in comparison to 2012 and in a bid to increase accommodation offerings for tourists, more than 3,000 rooms across the country are being refurbished ahead of the forthcoming peak season.
Throughout the 1950s, the Capri Hotel was one of the most popular Havana hotels for American gangsters visiting Cuba and its main features include a rooftop swimming pool and restaurant, La Florentina.
The property is located on a corner close to 23rd Street and the capital city's shopping district and offers city views from its 19 floors and 216 guest rooms.
Havana is a vibrant city in Cuba that boasts historic and modern hotels, theatres, nightclubs, bars and restaurants. Visitors can soak up the city's and culture by exploring its historical sites, walking along winding cobbled streets, and mingling with the high-spirited local residents in bars and vafes.
The "Parque Central" offers a tranquil space where tourists and escape from the bustling city and relax amid fragrant gardens and peaceful surroundings.
Old Havana boasts baroque and neo-classical architecture and buildings and has undergone restoration projects by the Cuban government over recent years in a bid to attract more visitors to the area's piazzas and streets.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- The perfect 5* multi centre - mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury adults-only all-suite hotel Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Havana has to offer
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...