Cuban government to offer private tourism products to holidaymakers starting this November
During a recent press conference held last Saturday 8th September, the Commercial Director of Cuba's Ministry of Tourism announced how the government would be offering new privately owned tourism products and services to international visitors as of next season (starting November through to April), thus enhancing the overall holiday experiences available in Cuba to the average tourist.
Aiming to diversify the Cuba tourism product and make it more appealing to a wider variety of potential tourists with different interests when looking at the prospect of planning a visit to the Caribbean island, the Ministry of Tourism in Cuba is currently working with the government to make privately-owned establishments and services more accessible to international visitors.
According to the official announcement, the Cuban government will start promoting private offers in tourism services during the next tourist season which starts in November and ends in April.
The new privately-owned products to be sold through state-owned travel agencies and independent travel companies at home and abroad will include BandB's style of accommodation, private tours and restaurants (the so-called "paladares" which have become so famous and successful in recent years that even distinguished visitors such as the Queen of Spain, JayZ, Beyonce and Leonardo Dicaprio have dined there).
Jose Manuel Bisbe, Commercial Director of the island's Tourism Ministry revealed that at the moment, the government was in the process of recruiting a big group of independent private businesses owned by the locals such as accommodation and the above-mentioned "paladares" restaurants, which in recent times have garnered very favourable reviews on sites like TripAdvisor.
According to Bisbe, these new offers are to be sold through state-owned travel agencies, as part of the packages and programmes they offer during peak tourism season, starting this November 2013.
This new initiative follows the previous efforts made by Cuba's president, Raul Castro, since he took office in 2008, when he started updating the island's 50-year-long socialist economic model. This resulted in a slow but ongoing government retreat from running virtually everything in Cuba, including cafes, restaurants, transport and tourist accommodation.
The recent plans to also improve the country's tourism infrastructure have also extended to the renovation of the island's main airports (which are currently taking place island-wide), including the $10 million investment at Havana's Jose Marti International Airport.
Mr Bisbe also announced plans of operating new direct flights to Cuba from emerging tourism markets in Europe, such as Denmark, Poland and Spain, as well as an expansion of Air France-KLM's weekly service.
At present, Cuba runs ten international airports and three cruise terminals, which welcomed 2.8 million tourists in 2012. This year, partly due to the confirmation of new cruises arriving from Canada, Germany, Greece and the United Kingdom which will be bringing in over 1000 passengers each, the island expects to receive over 3 million international travellers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to the simply stunning warm waters of Varadero beach
- Enjoy an all-inclusive deal offering Italian and Cuban cuisines, 7 bars and a disco.
- Unwind with a massage or in the Jacuzzi and relish the relaxed, adults-only ambience.
- Enjoy a wide range of activities, including watersports, tennis, dance lessons and entertainment.
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...