David Coulthard goes to Cuba to participate in Havana's Annual Classic Car Rally
Stunning vintage cars paraded down Havana's vibrant city streets as part of the 9th Annual Havana Rally, where David Coulthard was among the participants, arriving in a 1955 Pontiac convertible. The former F-1 driver was a prominent driver in the classic car exhibition that took place just last week.
During the recently held 9th Annual Havana Rally, where hundreds of beautifully preserved old classic cars took to the streets to exhibit their vintage beauty, David Coulthard, the famed former Formula-1 driver, was the guest of honour, arriving to the event in a 1955 convertible Pontiac.
Even before his arrival to Havana, David Coulthard attracted the attention of all car and racing lovers in the island. On the day of the even hundreds of fans lined the streets to see him drive the 70-kilometre race that passed through 10 of the capital city's districts.
Just before the race, David Coulthard revealed his excitement at participating in this year's edition:
"I'm looking forward to taking part. I think it's very exciting to see what the local Cuban motor enthusiasts are able to put on. There are a lot of fantastic-looking cars."
When asked about his choice of car, he replied:
"I tried a few cars and I finally decided on the Pontiac for it being a convertible, and also the state of its motor and systems was amazingly well-preserved."
After driving through Havana's quaint streets, he said:
"The experience has been very relaxing for the hospitality and friendliness of everyone, as well as the passion of the drivers and owners of their cars. It's all really amazing."
Organised by the Cuban Antique Car Club, the race consists of a long drive down some of the city's most picturesque tree-lined streets, where owners of cars that are sometimes more than half a century old, proudly drive in their immaculately kept old treasures.
The Cuban Antique Car Club has a total of 102 members and the most common brands are Chevrolet, Ford, Dodge, as well as a few European cars The oldest car to have participated in the race was a 1930 Ford Model A.
Cuba is famed for having the highest number of antique cars still roaming the streets and this unique attraction is partly responsible for bringing thousands of tourists who want to experience the old classic cars and the general vintage feel of Havana's streets during cultural Cuba holidays. Havana's Classic Car Rally is the only one of its kind in the world, a truly unique event where drivers and on-lookers alike can feel time-warped in a bygone era.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...