David Coulthard goes to Cuba to participate in Havana's Annual Classic Car Rally
Stunning vintage cars paraded down Havana's vibrant city streets as part of the 9th Annual Havana Rally, where David Coulthard was among the participants, arriving in a 1955 Pontiac convertible. The former F-1 driver was a prominent driver in the classic car exhibition that took place just last week.
During the recently held 9th Annual Havana Rally, where hundreds of beautifully preserved old classic cars took to the streets to exhibit their vintage beauty, David Coulthard, the famed former Formula-1 driver, was the guest of honour, arriving to the event in a 1955 convertible Pontiac.
Even before his arrival to Havana, David Coulthard attracted the attention of all car and racing lovers in the island. On the day of the even hundreds of fans lined the streets to see him drive the 70-kilometre race that passed through 10 of the capital city's districts.
Just before the race, David Coulthard revealed his excitement at participating in this year's edition:
"I'm looking forward to taking part. I think it's very exciting to see what the local Cuban motor enthusiasts are able to put on. There are a lot of fantastic-looking cars."
When asked about his choice of car, he replied:
"I tried a few cars and I finally decided on the Pontiac for it being a convertible, and also the state of its motor and systems was amazingly well-preserved."
After driving through Havana's quaint streets, he said:
"The experience has been very relaxing for the hospitality and friendliness of everyone, as well as the passion of the drivers and owners of their cars. It's all really amazing."
Organised by the Cuban Antique Car Club, the race consists of a long drive down some of the city's most picturesque tree-lined streets, where owners of cars that are sometimes more than half a century old, proudly drive in their immaculately kept old treasures.
The Cuban Antique Car Club has a total of 102 members and the most common brands are Chevrolet, Ford, Dodge, as well as a few European cars The oldest car to have participated in the race was a 1930 Ford Model A.
Cuba is famed for having the highest number of antique cars still roaming the streets and this unique attraction is partly responsible for bringing thousands of tourists who want to experience the old classic cars and the general vintage feel of Havana's streets during cultural Cuba holidays. Havana's Classic Car Rally is the only one of its kind in the world, a truly unique event where drivers and on-lookers alike can feel time-warped in a bygone era.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...