David Coulthard goes to Cuba to participate in Havana's Annual Classic Car Rally
Stunning vintage cars paraded down Havana's vibrant city streets as part of the 9th Annual Havana Rally, where David Coulthard was among the participants, arriving in a 1955 Pontiac convertible. The former F-1 driver was a prominent driver in the classic car exhibition that took place just last week.
During the recently held 9th Annual Havana Rally, where hundreds of beautifully preserved old classic cars took to the streets to exhibit their vintage beauty, David Coulthard, the famed former Formula-1 driver, was the guest of honour, arriving to the event in a 1955 convertible Pontiac.
Even before his arrival to Havana, David Coulthard attracted the attention of all car and racing lovers in the island. On the day of the even hundreds of fans lined the streets to see him drive the 70-kilometre race that passed through 10 of the capital city's districts.
Just before the race, David Coulthard revealed his excitement at participating in this year's edition:
"I'm looking forward to taking part. I think it's very exciting to see what the local Cuban motor enthusiasts are able to put on. There are a lot of fantastic-looking cars."
When asked about his choice of car, he replied:
"I tried a few cars and I finally decided on the Pontiac for it being a convertible, and also the state of its motor and systems was amazingly well-preserved."
After driving through Havana's quaint streets, he said:
"The experience has been very relaxing for the hospitality and friendliness of everyone, as well as the passion of the drivers and owners of their cars. It's all really amazing."
Organised by the Cuban Antique Car Club, the race consists of a long drive down some of the city's most picturesque tree-lined streets, where owners of cars that are sometimes more than half a century old, proudly drive in their immaculately kept old treasures.
The Cuban Antique Car Club has a total of 102 members and the most common brands are Chevrolet, Ford, Dodge, as well as a few European cars The oldest car to have participated in the race was a 1930 Ford Model A.
Cuba is famed for having the highest number of antique cars still roaming the streets and this unique attraction is partly responsible for bringing thousands of tourists who want to experience the old classic cars and the general vintage feel of Havana's streets during cultural Cuba holidays. Havana's Classic Car Rally is the only one of its kind in the world, a truly unique event where drivers and on-lookers alike can feel time-warped in a bygone era.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...