David Coulthard goes to Cuba to participate in Havana's Annual Classic Car Rally
Stunning vintage cars paraded down Havana's vibrant city streets as part of the 9th Annual Havana Rally, where David Coulthard was among the participants, arriving in a 1955 Pontiac convertible. The former F-1 driver was a prominent driver in the classic car exhibition that took place just last week.
During the recently held 9th Annual Havana Rally, where hundreds of beautifully preserved old classic cars took to the streets to exhibit their vintage beauty, David Coulthard, the famed former Formula-1 driver, was the guest of honour, arriving to the event in a 1955 convertible Pontiac.
Even before his arrival to Havana, David Coulthard attracted the attention of all car and racing lovers in the island. On the day of the even hundreds of fans lined the streets to see him drive the 70-kilometre race that passed through 10 of the capital city's districts.
Just before the race, David Coulthard revealed his excitement at participating in this year's edition:
"I'm looking forward to taking part. I think it's very exciting to see what the local Cuban motor enthusiasts are able to put on. There are a lot of fantastic-looking cars."
When asked about his choice of car, he replied:
"I tried a few cars and I finally decided on the Pontiac for it being a convertible, and also the state of its motor and systems was amazingly well-preserved."
After driving through Havana's quaint streets, he said:
"The experience has been very relaxing for the hospitality and friendliness of everyone, as well as the passion of the drivers and owners of their cars. It's all really amazing."
Organised by the Cuban Antique Car Club, the race consists of a long drive down some of the city's most picturesque tree-lined streets, where owners of cars that are sometimes more than half a century old, proudly drive in their immaculately kept old treasures.
The Cuban Antique Car Club has a total of 102 members and the most common brands are Chevrolet, Ford, Dodge, as well as a few European cars The oldest car to have participated in the race was a 1930 Ford Model A.
Cuba is famed for having the highest number of antique cars still roaming the streets and this unique attraction is partly responsible for bringing thousands of tourists who want to experience the old classic cars and the general vintage feel of Havana's streets during cultural Cuba holidays. Havana's Classic Car Rally is the only one of its kind in the world, a truly unique event where drivers and on-lookers alike can feel time-warped in a bygone era.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...