Discover Cuba's other Varadero at the Varahicacos Ecological Reserve
Varadero Beach is one of the most popular travel destinations in Cuba and every year, thousands of holidaymakers flock to the area to soak up the sunshine and breathtaking scenery. However, at the other end of the Hicacos Peninsula sits the thriving Varahicacos Ecological Reserve, known as the Other Varadero.
The Caribbean island of Cuba is becoming an increasingly popular travel destination for curious travellers and Varadero Beach on the Hicacos Peninsula is among the leading hotspots for visitors.
Varadero Beach is a favourite with holidaymakers who are seeking sunshine and breathtaking natural scenery thanks to its white sandy shores and turquoise ocean waters.
While Varadero attracts thousands of tourists every year, further along the Hicacos Peninsula sits the thriving Varahicacos Ecological Reserve, which is known as the Other Varadero.
The area boasts 124 acres of lush forests that are thriving with flora and fauna, mangroves, and an abundance of wildlife such as lizards, butterflies, and mollusc shelters.
The Ministry of Science Technology and Environment (CITMA) carried out a study of the nature reserve which supports a natural space and provides an alternative to beach tourism, creating a "Protected Area" in the Cuban national system that is home to 220 plant species, 159 birds and over 40 animal species, including the lizard Aristelliger Reyensi, which was recently discovered by one of the workers.
Those interested in eco-friendly holidays can also visit the area's archaeological and pictographic sites which are home to a collection of caves. These include "La Cueva de Ambrosio" (Ambrosio's Cave) which spans an area of 300 metres and is divided into five rooms. The main features of the caves are the fifty aboriginal pictographs which are painted in red and black and said to be more than two thousand years old.
One of the main attractions in Varahicacos is the Patriarch, the Giant Cactus, which is said to be the oldest tree in Cuba and sits intact between two large hotels.
Located in the north-western province of Matanzas, 140 kilometres east of Cuba's capital Havana, Varadero Beach has an array of oceanfront hotels and all inclusive resorts, gourmet restaurants, and a full size golf course.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...