Discover Cuba's other Varadero at the Varahicacos Ecological Reserve
Varadero Beach is one of the most popular travel destinations in Cuba and every year, thousands of holidaymakers flock to the area to soak up the sunshine and breathtaking scenery. However, at the other end of the Hicacos Peninsula sits the thriving Varahicacos Ecological Reserve, known as the Other Varadero.
The Caribbean island of Cuba is becoming an increasingly popular travel destination for curious travellers and Varadero Beach on the Hicacos Peninsula is among the leading hotspots for visitors.
Varadero Beach is a favourite with holidaymakers who are seeking sunshine and breathtaking natural scenery thanks to its white sandy shores and turquoise ocean waters.
While Varadero attracts thousands of tourists every year, further along the Hicacos Peninsula sits the thriving Varahicacos Ecological Reserve, which is known as the Other Varadero.
The area boasts 124 acres of lush forests that are thriving with flora and fauna, mangroves, and an abundance of wildlife such as lizards, butterflies, and mollusc shelters.
The Ministry of Science Technology and Environment (CITMA) carried out a study of the nature reserve which supports a natural space and provides an alternative to beach tourism, creating a "Protected Area" in the Cuban national system that is home to 220 plant species, 159 birds and over 40 animal species, including the lizard Aristelliger Reyensi, which was recently discovered by one of the workers.
Those interested in eco-friendly holidays can also visit the area's archaeological and pictographic sites which are home to a collection of caves. These include "La Cueva de Ambrosio" (Ambrosio's Cave) which spans an area of 300 metres and is divided into five rooms. The main features of the caves are the fifty aboriginal pictographs which are painted in red and black and said to be more than two thousand years old.
One of the main attractions in Varahicacos is the Patriarch, the Giant Cactus, which is said to be the oldest tree in Cuba and sits intact between two large hotels.
Located in the north-western province of Matanzas, 140 kilometres east of Cuba's capital Havana, Varadero Beach has an array of oceanfront hotels and all inclusive resorts, gourmet restaurants, and a full size golf course.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...