Discover Cuba's other Varadero at the Varahicacos Ecological Reserve
Varadero Beach is one of the most popular travel destinations in Cuba and every year, thousands of holidaymakers flock to the area to soak up the sunshine and breathtaking scenery. However, at the other end of the Hicacos Peninsula sits the thriving Varahicacos Ecological Reserve, known as the Other Varadero.
The Caribbean island of Cuba is becoming an increasingly popular travel destination for curious travellers and Varadero Beach on the Hicacos Peninsula is among the leading hotspots for visitors.
Varadero Beach is a favourite with holidaymakers who are seeking sunshine and breathtaking natural scenery thanks to its white sandy shores and turquoise ocean waters.
While Varadero attracts thousands of tourists every year, further along the Hicacos Peninsula sits the thriving Varahicacos Ecological Reserve, which is known as the Other Varadero.
The area boasts 124 acres of lush forests that are thriving with flora and fauna, mangroves, and an abundance of wildlife such as lizards, butterflies, and mollusc shelters.
The Ministry of Science Technology and Environment (CITMA) carried out a study of the nature reserve which supports a natural space and provides an alternative to beach tourism, creating a "Protected Area" in the Cuban national system that is home to 220 plant species, 159 birds and over 40 animal species, including the lizard Aristelliger Reyensi, which was recently discovered by one of the workers.
Those interested in eco-friendly holidays can also visit the area's archaeological and pictographic sites which are home to a collection of caves. These include "La Cueva de Ambrosio" (Ambrosio's Cave) which spans an area of 300 metres and is divided into five rooms. The main features of the caves are the fifty aboriginal pictographs which are painted in red and black and said to be more than two thousand years old.
One of the main attractions in Varahicacos is the Patriarch, the Giant Cactus, which is said to be the oldest tree in Cuba and sits intact between two large hotels.
Located in the north-western province of Matanzas, 140 kilometres east of Cuba's capital Havana, Varadero Beach has an array of oceanfront hotels and all inclusive resorts, gourmet restaurants, and a full size golf course.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Escape to the simply stunning warm waters of Varadero beach
- Enjoy an all-inclusive deal offering Italian and Cuban cuisines, 7 bars and a disco.
- Unwind with a massage or in the Jacuzzi and relish the relaxed, adults-only ambience.
- Enjoy a wide range of activities, including watersports, tennis, dance lessons and entertainment.
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Enjoy a bottle of sparking wine and chocolates upon arrival guaranteed for couples at Melia Habana Hotel and a romantic dinner for two in Havana
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...