Boston Globe discovers Cuba as a travel destination for American Travellers
Bella English, a reporter from the Boston Globe in the United States, has recently visited the island nation of Cuba to discover the heart and soul of this communist nation that has been off-limit to U.S travellers for more than 50 years. After President Obama relaxed restrictions for Cuba travel for American residents in 2011, many are taking advantage of these changes in the law and travelling to the island to meet the locals and explore this vibrant country.
The island of Cuba has been off-limits for American travellers since the travel embargo was enforced by the Kennedy administration executive order in 1960.
Since then, despite the close proximity to the Caribbean nation, American residents have been unable to travel to Cuba and Cuba residents were restricted to travel to the United States only on humanitarian reasons.
In 2011, President Obama's administration relaxed the laws on Cuba travel for Americans and now and introducced the "people ro people" scheme, travellers can discover this beautiful island through organised trips that are available form licensed tour operators and travel companies.
One industry that has benefited from these changes to the law is American journalism, and reporters are now able to embark on "cultural exchanges" to the island.
Bella English, a journalist from the Boston Globe, decided to visit Cuba and discover firsthand what the island has to offer before it becomes overrun with American tourists.
English started her journey in Havana, the capital of Cuba, and a hotspot for the renowned American author, Ernest Hemingway. She visited the writer's local haunts, Sloppy Joe's bar and El Floridita, and discovered the beauty of a city that has been divided by two eras: pre and post-1958.
She found city is bustling with nightclubs, lively bars and gourmet restaurants, but the crumbling architecture of its colonial buildings is evident throughout with grand mansions and stately homes that now stand abandoned. Locals still drive cars from the 1950s and take pride in showing off their brightly-coloured Chevy Bel Airs or Pontiac convertibles as they cruise along the city's roads.
Old Havana is an excellent place to get a feel for the city's history with its cobblestone squares, churches, museums, and mansions that are now apartments and hotels.
Speaking about the Cuban capital, English wrote: "Old Havana is best seen on foot, and there are some great pedestrian paseos. I spent the next couple of days walking the city, along Empedrado and Calle Obispo, lined with shops and restaurants, small art galleries, and a crafts market. The staples of a Cuban meal are pork, beans, and rice, but the fish is excellent, the paella heavenly."
While Cuba's cities are a must-see, the island boasts an array of breathtaking natural landscapes such as sandy beaches, virgin cays and thriving nature parks.
Among those Varadero Beach deserves special attention, situated in the province of Matanzas on the Hicacos Peninsula on the north coast of Cuba and Varadero beach has become one of the island's most popular beach resorts. Home to more than 20km of pristine beaches, sparkling turquoise ocean waters, and a collection of all inclusive Cuba hotels and resorts, the area is a hotspot for sun-seekers.
Whether Americas head to the cities or to the coast, Cuba's fascinating culture and heritage is expected to capture the hearts of many travellers who have still yet to visit this remarkable Caribbean island.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...