Cruise terminal in Ocho Rios, Jamaica to receive upgrades and improvements
Funding to upgrade the cruise terminal in Ocho Rios on the island of Jamaica has been allocated by the Tourism Enhancement Fund. Approximately $12 million has been given to four projects that will improve the country's resort areas while enhancing the experience for holidaymakers.
Jamaica's Tourism Minister, Wykeham McNeill, has announced that approximately $12 million has been allocated to four major projects in Jamaica to improve its resort areas.
The funding has been provided by the Caribbean island's Tourism Enhancement Fund and one of the projects includes upgrading the cruise terminal at Ocho Rios to enhance the experience for tourists arriving to and departing from Jamaica.
The cruise terminal will be upgraded and significant improvements will be made to Main Street and the boardwalk between the cruise pier and the Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort and Spa, which is one of the town's most popular hotels.
The Tourism Minister said last week that the number of tourists arriving taking cruise holidays to Jamaica is expected to surpass 1.4 million by the end of 2014. Next year, the cruise terminal in Ocho Rios will welcome the Norwegian Epic and the return of Royal Caribbean cruise ships.
The three other projects include the installation of LED lighting along Montego Bay's North Coast Highway which is home to an array of Jamaica hotels and resorts; new bike racks and pedestrian walkways along the three-mile stretch on Norman Manley Boulevard in Negril; and the addition of a new museum which will be built in Port Royal on the island's north coast and will feature artefacts that have been recovered from the ocean over the years. The Port Royal project will also include a new interactive children's museum, renovations to the Naval Hospital and a brand new walking trail in the area.
Located in the Caribbean Sea, Jamaica is one of the world's leading tourist destinations. The island nation boasts white sand beaches that are fringed with turquoise warm ocean waters and swaying palm trees; soaring mountains and lush undulating emerald hills and dense forests; and an array of historical sites, plantations and attractions to visit.
In Jamaica, visitors can explore the natural wonders of the island such as Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios, the five-mile-long Doctor's Cave Beach in Montego Bay, the botanical gardens and the majestic Blue Mountains, and the famous Bob Marley Museum.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- Pirate's Paradise Waterpark on-site featuring a pirate ship and two waterslides
- Take advantage of this amazing free kids offer - Up to two kids stay free when sharing with two paying adults
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Book and save over £500 per family with discounted rates for 2017 and 2018 and up to 2 Kids stay FREE
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- After booking a minimum of a 3 night stay, guests will receive a welcome bottle of sparkling wine & fresh fruit, one mimosa breakfast in bed to be booked upon arrival and romantic turndown service one night during stay
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Club Ambiance's All Inclusive Resort & Spa is an adult's only resort offering 85 bright and spacious rooms. Each room...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...