Cruise terminal in Ocho Rios, Jamaica to receive upgrades and improvements
Funding to upgrade the cruise terminal in Ocho Rios on the island of Jamaica has been allocated by the Tourism Enhancement Fund. Approximately $12 million has been given to four projects that will improve the country's resort areas while enhancing the experience for holidaymakers.
Jamaica's Tourism Minister, Wykeham McNeill, has announced that approximately $12 million has been allocated to four major projects in Jamaica to improve its resort areas.
The funding has been provided by the Caribbean island's Tourism Enhancement Fund and one of the projects includes upgrading the cruise terminal at Ocho Rios to enhance the experience for tourists arriving to and departing from Jamaica.
The cruise terminal will be upgraded and significant improvements will be made to Main Street and the boardwalk between the cruise pier and the Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort and Spa, which is one of the town's most popular hotels.
The Tourism Minister said last week that the number of tourists arriving taking cruise holidays to Jamaica is expected to surpass 1.4 million by the end of 2014. Next year, the cruise terminal in Ocho Rios will welcome the Norwegian Epic and the return of Royal Caribbean cruise ships.
The three other projects include the installation of LED lighting along Montego Bay's North Coast Highway which is home to an array of Jamaica hotels and resorts; new bike racks and pedestrian walkways along the three-mile stretch on Norman Manley Boulevard in Negril; and the addition of a new museum which will be built in Port Royal on the island's north coast and will feature artefacts that have been recovered from the ocean over the years. The Port Royal project will also include a new interactive children's museum, renovations to the Naval Hospital and a brand new walking trail in the area.
Located in the Caribbean Sea, Jamaica is one of the world's leading tourist destinations. The island nation boasts white sand beaches that are fringed with turquoise warm ocean waters and swaying palm trees; soaring mountains and lush undulating emerald hills and dense forests; and an array of historical sites, plantations and attractions to visit.
In Jamaica, visitors can explore the natural wonders of the island such as Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios, the five-mile-long Doctor's Cave Beach in Montego Bay, the botanical gardens and the majestic Blue Mountains, and the famous Bob Marley Museum.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- 2018 Early Booking Offer: Stay 7 Pay 6, Stay 14 Pay 11!
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...