Australian swimmer who abandoned Cuba to Florida attempt will not try again
The Australian endurance swimmer who attempted to swim from Havana, Cuba to Florida in the United States has spoken about the experience, saying that she will not be attempting the swim again. Chloe McCardel was 11 hours and 14 miles into the 110-mile journey when she was forced to abandon the swim after being attacked by a swarm of jellyfish.
An Australian swimmer who was forced to abandon an endurance swim from Cuba to Florida has spoken about the experience and said that she will not be making another attempt.
Chloe McCardel was 11 hours and 14 miles into the 110-mile journey from Havana, Cuba to Florida in the United States when she was attacked by a swarm of jellyfish.
Speaking to The Associated Press, the 28-year-old said: "I had one coming out of my mouth. I was pulling it, this tentacle out of my mouth, but I don't remember this moment. My kayaker told me that I was doing this, 'cause I have no recollection. I'm not coming back. That's it."
The swimmer choose to attempt to swim nonstop without a shark cage across the Florida Straits in June because the jellyfish danger was low but she was caught by surprise when a swarm came out of nowhere.
"I got smashed with them coming from every direction," Chloe said. "I would not have gone to all this trouble if I had known they would be out in such numbers in June."
The athlete attempted her swim from Havana, Cuba to Florida under English Channel Marathon rules so she was not allowed to hold on to anything or touch her support boat. She also was prohibited from wearing a full-body wetsuit, which would have helped protect against the jellyfish.
Chloe spent nine months planning the trip with her team, and she received advice from Dr. Clifton Page, a sports medicine specialist at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Dr Page believes the swim can be done but the swimmer will have to overcome obstacles including the risk of hypothermia and dehydration.
"The variable is the jellyfish," Dr. Page commented. "Chloe would have gotten a lot further into her swim if she hadn't been bitten."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...