Australian swimmer who abandoned Cuba to Florida attempt will not try again
The Australian endurance swimmer who attempted to swim from Havana, Cuba to Florida in the United States has spoken about the experience, saying that she will not be attempting the swim again. Chloe McCardel was 11 hours and 14 miles into the 110-mile journey when she was forced to abandon the swim after being attacked by a swarm of jellyfish.
An Australian swimmer who was forced to abandon an endurance swim from Cuba to Florida has spoken about the experience and said that she will not be making another attempt.
Chloe McCardel was 11 hours and 14 miles into the 110-mile journey from Havana, Cuba to Florida in the United States when she was attacked by a swarm of jellyfish.
Speaking to The Associated Press, the 28-year-old said: "I had one coming out of my mouth. I was pulling it, this tentacle out of my mouth, but I don't remember this moment. My kayaker told me that I was doing this, 'cause I have no recollection. I'm not coming back. That's it."
The swimmer choose to attempt to swim nonstop without a shark cage across the Florida Straits in June because the jellyfish danger was low but she was caught by surprise when a swarm came out of nowhere.
"I got smashed with them coming from every direction," Chloe said. "I would not have gone to all this trouble if I had known they would be out in such numbers in June."
The athlete attempted her swim from Havana, Cuba to Florida under English Channel Marathon rules so she was not allowed to hold on to anything or touch her support boat. She also was prohibited from wearing a full-body wetsuit, which would have helped protect against the jellyfish.
Chloe spent nine months planning the trip with her team, and she received advice from Dr. Clifton Page, a sports medicine specialist at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Dr Page believes the swim can be done but the swimmer will have to overcome obstacles including the risk of hypothermia and dehydration.
"The variable is the jellyfish," Dr. Page commented. "Chloe would have gotten a lot further into her swim if she hadn't been bitten."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Starfish Varadero has to offer for an amazing price!
- Stay entertained with daily activities, land sports, water sports and lively shows
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view - limited availability
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...