Australian swimmer who abandoned Cuba to Florida attempt will not try again
The Australian endurance swimmer who attempted to swim from Havana, Cuba to Florida in the United States has spoken about the experience, saying that she will not be attempting the swim again. Chloe McCardel was 11 hours and 14 miles into the 110-mile journey when she was forced to abandon the swim after being attacked by a swarm of jellyfish.
An Australian swimmer who was forced to abandon an endurance swim from Cuba to Florida has spoken about the experience and said that she will not be making another attempt.
Chloe McCardel was 11 hours and 14 miles into the 110-mile journey from Havana, Cuba to Florida in the United States when she was attacked by a swarm of jellyfish.
Speaking to The Associated Press, the 28-year-old said: "I had one coming out of my mouth. I was pulling it, this tentacle out of my mouth, but I don't remember this moment. My kayaker told me that I was doing this, 'cause I have no recollection. I'm not coming back. That's it."
The swimmer choose to attempt to swim nonstop without a shark cage across the Florida Straits in June because the jellyfish danger was low but she was caught by surprise when a swarm came out of nowhere.
"I got smashed with them coming from every direction," Chloe said. "I would not have gone to all this trouble if I had known they would be out in such numbers in June."
The athlete attempted her swim from Havana, Cuba to Florida under English Channel Marathon rules so she was not allowed to hold on to anything or touch her support boat. She also was prohibited from wearing a full-body wetsuit, which would have helped protect against the jellyfish.
Chloe spent nine months planning the trip with her team, and she received advice from Dr. Clifton Page, a sports medicine specialist at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Dr Page believes the swim can be done but the swimmer will have to overcome obstacles including the risk of hypothermia and dehydration.
"The variable is the jellyfish," Dr. Page commented. "Chloe would have gotten a lot further into her swim if she hadn't been bitten."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...