Australian swimmer who abandoned Cuba to Florida attempt will not try again
The Australian endurance swimmer who attempted to swim from Havana, Cuba to Florida in the United States has spoken about the experience, saying that she will not be attempting the swim again. Chloe McCardel was 11 hours and 14 miles into the 110-mile journey when she was forced to abandon the swim after being attacked by a swarm of jellyfish.
An Australian swimmer who was forced to abandon an endurance swim from Cuba to Florida has spoken about the experience and said that she will not be making another attempt.
Chloe McCardel was 11 hours and 14 miles into the 110-mile journey from Havana, Cuba to Florida in the United States when she was attacked by a swarm of jellyfish.
Speaking to The Associated Press, the 28-year-old said: "I had one coming out of my mouth. I was pulling it, this tentacle out of my mouth, but I don't remember this moment. My kayaker told me that I was doing this, 'cause I have no recollection. I'm not coming back. That's it."
The swimmer choose to attempt to swim nonstop without a shark cage across the Florida Straits in June because the jellyfish danger was low but she was caught by surprise when a swarm came out of nowhere.
"I got smashed with them coming from every direction," Chloe said. "I would not have gone to all this trouble if I had known they would be out in such numbers in June."
The athlete attempted her swim from Havana, Cuba to Florida under English Channel Marathon rules so she was not allowed to hold on to anything or touch her support boat. She also was prohibited from wearing a full-body wetsuit, which would have helped protect against the jellyfish.
Chloe spent nine months planning the trip with her team, and she received advice from Dr. Clifton Page, a sports medicine specialist at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Dr Page believes the swim can be done but the swimmer will have to overcome obstacles including the risk of hypothermia and dehydration.
"The variable is the jellyfish," Dr. Page commented. "Chloe would have gotten a lot further into her swim if she hadn't been bitten."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- The perfect 5* multi centre - mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury adults-only all-suite hotel Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Havana has to offer
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...