Australian swimmer who abandoned Cuba to Florida attempt will not try again
The Australian endurance swimmer who attempted to swim from Havana, Cuba to Florida in the United States has spoken about the experience, saying that she will not be attempting the swim again. Chloe McCardel was 11 hours and 14 miles into the 110-mile journey when she was forced to abandon the swim after being attacked by a swarm of jellyfish.
An Australian swimmer who was forced to abandon an endurance swim from Cuba to Florida has spoken about the experience and said that she will not be making another attempt.
Chloe McCardel was 11 hours and 14 miles into the 110-mile journey from Havana, Cuba to Florida in the United States when she was attacked by a swarm of jellyfish.
Speaking to The Associated Press, the 28-year-old said: "I had one coming out of my mouth. I was pulling it, this tentacle out of my mouth, but I don't remember this moment. My kayaker told me that I was doing this, 'cause I have no recollection. I'm not coming back. That's it."
The swimmer choose to attempt to swim nonstop without a shark cage across the Florida Straits in June because the jellyfish danger was low but she was caught by surprise when a swarm came out of nowhere.
"I got smashed with them coming from every direction," Chloe said. "I would not have gone to all this trouble if I had known they would be out in such numbers in June."
The athlete attempted her swim from Havana, Cuba to Florida under English Channel Marathon rules so she was not allowed to hold on to anything or touch her support boat. She also was prohibited from wearing a full-body wetsuit, which would have helped protect against the jellyfish.
Chloe spent nine months planning the trip with her team, and she received advice from Dr. Clifton Page, a sports medicine specialist at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Dr Page believes the swim can be done but the swimmer will have to overcome obstacles including the risk of hypothermia and dehydration.
"The variable is the jellyfish," Dr. Page commented. "Chloe would have gotten a lot further into her swim if she hadn't been bitten."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Nov
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...