Life and works of Ernest Hemingway celebrated in Havana
Last week, the 14th International Hemingway Colloquium took place at the Palacio O'Farrill Hotel in the capital city of Havana. The American writer, Hemingway, lived in Cuba and more than 100 scholars, professors and lookalikes descended on the island nation to take part in the event which was dedicated to the author of the "The Old Man and the Sea".
The life and works of American writer Ernest Hemingway was celebrated last week in Cuba at the 14th International Hemingway Colloquium.
Hemingway lived in Cuba for 20 years and hundreds of professionals, scholars and look-alikes from the United States, Canada, Japan, Italy and Ireland descended on the capital city of Havana last week at the Palacio O'Farrill Hotel.
Six Hemingway lookalikes strolled along the streets of Old Havana after winning a contest in the United States for their resemblance to the author who wrote the novel "The Old Man and the Sea," during his time on the communist island.
These included Wally Collins, Stephen Terry, Gregory Fawcet, Thomas Mitchell, Edward Barry and Far Torrell from Americans who showed off their uncanny resemblance to the writer in the latter years of his life.
"I'm really only here to attend the four days of the Colloquium in Havana, which seems to me an excellent experience," explained Gregory Fawcet during a walk though historic Old Havana where they visited the two bars of the restaurants La Bodeguita del Medio and El Floridita, where Hemingway would frequent during his time in the vibrant city.
Another leading hangout spot for Hemingway fans is Sloppy Joe's in Key West, Florida in the United States, one of the novelist's favourite bars in the 1930's.
Cuba is an island nation located in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The nation is rich in culture, heritage and history and it is home to outstanding natural scenery such as beautiful white and golden sand beaches, virgin cays, lush nature reserves, and the world's second largest barrier reef which is submerged in turquoise ocean waters and home to an array of colourful and diverse marine creatures.
Popular spots for tourists visiting Cuba include the beach resort of Varadero, the capital Havana, Jardines del Rey and its collection of idyllic islands and cays, and the World Heritage Site, Trinidad.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 20th Sep
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...