Life and works of Ernest Hemingway celebrated in Havana
Last week, the 14th International Hemingway Colloquium took place at the Palacio O'Farrill Hotel in the capital city of Havana. The American writer, Hemingway, lived in Cuba and more than 100 scholars, professors and lookalikes descended on the island nation to take part in the event which was dedicated to the author of the "The Old Man and the Sea".
The life and works of American writer Ernest Hemingway was celebrated last week in Cuba at the 14th International Hemingway Colloquium.
Hemingway lived in Cuba for 20 years and hundreds of professionals, scholars and look-alikes from the United States, Canada, Japan, Italy and Ireland descended on the capital city of Havana last week at the Palacio O'Farrill Hotel.
Six Hemingway lookalikes strolled along the streets of Old Havana after winning a contest in the United States for their resemblance to the author who wrote the novel "The Old Man and the Sea," during his time on the communist island.
These included Wally Collins, Stephen Terry, Gregory Fawcet, Thomas Mitchell, Edward Barry and Far Torrell from Americans who showed off their uncanny resemblance to the writer in the latter years of his life.
"I'm really only here to attend the four days of the Colloquium in Havana, which seems to me an excellent experience," explained Gregory Fawcet during a walk though historic Old Havana where they visited the two bars of the restaurants La Bodeguita del Medio and El Floridita, where Hemingway would frequent during his time in the vibrant city.
Another leading hangout spot for Hemingway fans is Sloppy Joe's in Key West, Florida in the United States, one of the novelist's favourite bars in the 1930's.
Cuba is an island nation located in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The nation is rich in culture, heritage and history and it is home to outstanding natural scenery such as beautiful white and golden sand beaches, virgin cays, lush nature reserves, and the world's second largest barrier reef which is submerged in turquoise ocean waters and home to an array of colourful and diverse marine creatures.
Popular spots for tourists visiting Cuba include the beach resort of Varadero, the capital Havana, Jardines del Rey and its collection of idyllic islands and cays, and the World Heritage Site, Trinidad.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...