Life and works of Ernest Hemingway celebrated in Havana
Last week, the 14th International Hemingway Colloquium took place at the Palacio O'Farrill Hotel in the capital city of Havana. The American writer, Hemingway, lived in Cuba and more than 100 scholars, professors and lookalikes descended on the island nation to take part in the event which was dedicated to the author of the "The Old Man and the Sea".
The life and works of American writer Ernest Hemingway was celebrated last week in Cuba at the 14th International Hemingway Colloquium.
Hemingway lived in Cuba for 20 years and hundreds of professionals, scholars and look-alikes from the United States, Canada, Japan, Italy and Ireland descended on the capital city of Havana last week at the Palacio O'Farrill Hotel.
Six Hemingway lookalikes strolled along the streets of Old Havana after winning a contest in the United States for their resemblance to the author who wrote the novel "The Old Man and the Sea," during his time on the communist island.
These included Wally Collins, Stephen Terry, Gregory Fawcet, Thomas Mitchell, Edward Barry and Far Torrell from Americans who showed off their uncanny resemblance to the writer in the latter years of his life.
"I'm really only here to attend the four days of the Colloquium in Havana, which seems to me an excellent experience," explained Gregory Fawcet during a walk though historic Old Havana where they visited the two bars of the restaurants La Bodeguita del Medio and El Floridita, where Hemingway would frequent during his time in the vibrant city.
Another leading hangout spot for Hemingway fans is Sloppy Joe's in Key West, Florida in the United States, one of the novelist's favourite bars in the 1930's.
Cuba is an island nation located in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The nation is rich in culture, heritage and history and it is home to outstanding natural scenery such as beautiful white and golden sand beaches, virgin cays, lush nature reserves, and the world's second largest barrier reef which is submerged in turquoise ocean waters and home to an array of colourful and diverse marine creatures.
Popular spots for tourists visiting Cuba include the beach resort of Varadero, the capital Havana, Jardines del Rey and its collection of idyllic islands and cays, and the World Heritage Site, Trinidad.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands for an amazing price!
- The all-inclusive plan features 1 buffet restaurant, 2 A la carte, 3 snack bars and 3 bars.
- The Location on one of Varadero's best virgin beaches.
- Enjoy varied entertainment, including water sports, beach volleyball, tennis, evening performances and more.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
The ultimate beach holiday experience awaits you at Los Cactus, a Caribbean paradise for golf-lovers and scuba...