U.S. Authorities approve three more companies to provide People-to-People travel programmes to Cuba
Three more travel companies have been granted permission by the U.S authorities to provide Cuba holidays for American travellers. Central Holidays, the Globus Family of Brands, and Other Cuban Journeys are now all licensed to provide people-to-people educational travel to the Caribbean island of Cuba, with activity-packed trips commencing this summer.
The U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) has granted permission to three travel companies, allowing them to provide people-to-people educational trips to the island of Cuba.
More U.S travellers will now be able to legally travel to Cuba after Central Holidays, the Globus Family of Brands, and Other Cuban Journeys were each granted licences for travel to the communist island in the Caribbean.
One of them, Central Holidays, a mainstay tour operator to Europe founded in 1972, was really excited about the opportunity as it has seen a rise in interested american travellers who want to visit Cuba.
"We were getting requests from our clients who have travelled on our Europe group tours. They wanted to go to Cuba with us. We gave it a lot of thought and decided to take the plunge," explained the CEO, Gianni Miradoli.
The tour operator has partnered with California-based Premier World Discovery/Chamber Explorations, who were granted a license in April by U.S Authorities to provide people-to-people cultural exchange holidays to Cuba.
Central Holidays announced their programme last month and will offer 19 departures between 9th August and 12th December, 2013.
During the tour operator's eight-day "Discover Cuba" itinerary ($3,899 per person) holidaymakers will be able to enjoy a wide range of activities in and around Havana and visitors will get the chance to meet locals, artists and dancers.
For Globus, their journey began two years ago when it got ready to make its debut in Cuba with a collection of escorted religious programmes in January 2012. The company had to put its plans on hold while federal regulations and rules were put into place and they now offer two nine-day itineraries with 20 departures between 14th July and 3rd Nov, 2013.
"Our new programmes are not religious in theme but instead offer a full schedule of people-to-people educational exchange activities designed to result in meaningful interactions between our travellers and individuals in Cuba," commented Pam Hoffee, the Vice President of Product and Operations for the Globus Family of Brands.
The company will be offering "The Undiscovered Cuba" tour which includes a week in Havana with tours of historical and cultural sights, plus interactions with artists, musicians, architects, cigar rollers, students and workers at a silk-screening studio.
The second programme, Cuba's Charming Colonial Cities and Havana, allows tourists to visit Camaguey, Cienfuegos, Trinidad, Playa Giron (Bay of Pigs) and Havana during holidays in Cuba.
The third company, Other Cuban Journeys, received its OFAC license in January, but founders of the company, Marla Whitesman and Miriam Saul, have been leading humanitarian trips to Cuba's small Jewish community since 2000.
"Our past experiences, personal relationships and friendships with Cubans from all walks of life set us apart from other companies offering the people-to-people programs," explained Saul, a Cuban-American.
The travel company is offering six departures between 17th June, 2013 and 20th January, 2014 for the Faces of Cuba tour ($3,900 per person). The eight-day programme includes Cuba travel around Havana and the provinces of Matanzas and Pinar del Rio.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...