U.S. Authorities approve three more companies to provide People-to-People travel programmes to Cuba
Three more travel companies have been granted permission by the U.S authorities to provide Cuba holidays for American travellers. Central Holidays, the Globus Family of Brands, and Other Cuban Journeys are now all licensed to provide people-to-people educational travel to the Caribbean island of Cuba, with activity-packed trips commencing this summer.
The U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) has granted permission to three travel companies, allowing them to provide people-to-people educational trips to the island of Cuba.
More U.S travellers will now be able to legally travel to Cuba after Central Holidays, the Globus Family of Brands, and Other Cuban Journeys were each granted licences for travel to the communist island in the Caribbean.
One of them, Central Holidays, a mainstay tour operator to Europe founded in 1972, was really excited about the opportunity as it has seen a rise in interested american travellers who want to visit Cuba.
"We were getting requests from our clients who have travelled on our Europe group tours. They wanted to go to Cuba with us. We gave it a lot of thought and decided to take the plunge," explained the CEO, Gianni Miradoli.
The tour operator has partnered with California-based Premier World Discovery/Chamber Explorations, who were granted a license in April by U.S Authorities to provide people-to-people cultural exchange holidays to Cuba.
Central Holidays announced their programme last month and will offer 19 departures between 9th August and 12th December, 2013.
During the tour operator's eight-day "Discover Cuba" itinerary ($3,899 per person) holidaymakers will be able to enjoy a wide range of activities in and around Havana and visitors will get the chance to meet locals, artists and dancers.
For Globus, their journey began two years ago when it got ready to make its debut in Cuba with a collection of escorted religious programmes in January 2012. The company had to put its plans on hold while federal regulations and rules were put into place and they now offer two nine-day itineraries with 20 departures between 14th July and 3rd Nov, 2013.
"Our new programmes are not religious in theme but instead offer a full schedule of people-to-people educational exchange activities designed to result in meaningful interactions between our travellers and individuals in Cuba," commented Pam Hoffee, the Vice President of Product and Operations for the Globus Family of Brands.
The company will be offering "The Undiscovered Cuba" tour which includes a week in Havana with tours of historical and cultural sights, plus interactions with artists, musicians, architects, cigar rollers, students and workers at a silk-screening studio.
The second programme, Cuba's Charming Colonial Cities and Havana, allows tourists to visit Camaguey, Cienfuegos, Trinidad, Playa Giron (Bay of Pigs) and Havana during holidays in Cuba.
The third company, Other Cuban Journeys, received its OFAC license in January, but founders of the company, Marla Whitesman and Miriam Saul, have been leading humanitarian trips to Cuba's small Jewish community since 2000.
"Our past experiences, personal relationships and friendships with Cubans from all walks of life set us apart from other companies offering the people-to-people programs," explained Saul, a Cuban-American.
The travel company is offering six departures between 17th June, 2013 and 20th January, 2014 for the Faces of Cuba tour ($3,900 per person). The eight-day programme includes Cuba travel around Havana and the provinces of Matanzas and Pinar del Rio.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...