Great news for Caribbean hotels and resorts as tourism grows in 2013
According to the panelists who attended the Caribbean Hotel & Resort Investment Summit last week, Caribbean holidays are likely to stay on the rise in 2013. Specialists consider one of the driving forces for this growth to be the rising U.S. economy.
During the opening session of the Caribbean Hotel & Resort Investment Summit, celebrated last week at the JW Marriott Marquis Miami, panelists declared that the worst had been left behind and predicted a bright future for the Caribbean hotel industry.
“There is more positive energy coming out of the Caribbean, than there has been in a long time”, said Jim Burba, president of Burba Hotel Network and chairman of the annual event. Specialists also predict that Caribbean holidays will continue to grow not only in 2013 but also in upcoming years.
In response to a pre-conference survey, 73% of the attendees thought that revenue per available room would increase in the region this year, while 53% were of the opinion that money for new construction would rise in the upcoming year. These optimistic predictions were also supported by presenters in the “Outlook for the Caribbean” opening session and by Warren Jestin, senior VP and chief economist for Scotiabank, who added that the driving force for this growth, in his opinion, was the rising U.S. economy.
To add to these encouraging opinions, the president of HotelNewsNow.com parent company STR, Amanda Hite, stated that the region’s performance data had improved across the board. The STR figures of the year-to-date performance are extremely encouraging for hoteliers, as holidays in the Caribbean have most definitely already grown through March.
Occupancy rose 4.2% to 75.9%, average daily rate(ATR) increased 9.7% to $223.47, RevPAR jumped 14.4% to $160.64 and room revenue climbed 14% to $3.4 billion. There has certainly been improvement in the last years, as ADR picked up quickly and turned positive in June 2010, and although demand slowed slightly in 2012, rate remained steady.
Taking advantage of the favourable times, many hotel projects are being developed throughout the region. STR data showed that 47 properties are in the active pipeline, including 27 which are currently under construction and are expected to open in the next 18 months. The Bahamas, which is known to hold some of the top Caribbean resorts, is already developing five projects with nearly 2,300 rooms, comprising the $3.5 billion hotel of Baha Mar which is expected to open in December 2014; meanwhile the Dominican Republic is not left behind as it carries out 10 projects with 2,600 rooms under construction.
The news that the tourism sector will continue to grow are truly encouraging for the Caribbean nations, as 14% of the region’s gross domestic product is derived from travel and tourism. The president and CEO of the London-based World Travel & Tourism Council, David Scowsill, highlighted how important this sector was for the region, as it is the primary industry for many of the countries.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...