Great news for Caribbean hotels and resorts as tourism grows in 2013
According to the panelists who attended the Caribbean Hotel & Resort Investment Summit last week, Caribbean holidays are likely to stay on the rise in 2013. Specialists consider one of the driving forces for this growth to be the rising U.S. economy.
During the opening session of the Caribbean Hotel & Resort Investment Summit, celebrated last week at the JW Marriott Marquis Miami, panelists declared that the worst had been left behind and predicted a bright future for the Caribbean hotel industry.
“There is more positive energy coming out of the Caribbean, than there has been in a long time”, said Jim Burba, president of Burba Hotel Network and chairman of the annual event. Specialists also predict that Caribbean holidays will continue to grow not only in 2013 but also in upcoming years.
In response to a pre-conference survey, 73% of the attendees thought that revenue per available room would increase in the region this year, while 53% were of the opinion that money for new construction would rise in the upcoming year. These optimistic predictions were also supported by presenters in the “Outlook for the Caribbean” opening session and by Warren Jestin, senior VP and chief economist for Scotiabank, who added that the driving force for this growth, in his opinion, was the rising U.S. economy.
To add to these encouraging opinions, the president of HotelNewsNow.com parent company STR, Amanda Hite, stated that the region’s performance data had improved across the board. The STR figures of the year-to-date performance are extremely encouraging for hoteliers, as holidays in the Caribbean have most definitely already grown through March.
Occupancy rose 4.2% to 75.9%, average daily rate(ATR) increased 9.7% to $223.47, RevPAR jumped 14.4% to $160.64 and room revenue climbed 14% to $3.4 billion. There has certainly been improvement in the last years, as ADR picked up quickly and turned positive in June 2010, and although demand slowed slightly in 2012, rate remained steady.
Taking advantage of the favourable times, many hotel projects are being developed throughout the region. STR data showed that 47 properties are in the active pipeline, including 27 which are currently under construction and are expected to open in the next 18 months. The Bahamas, which is known to hold some of the top Caribbean resorts, is already developing five projects with nearly 2,300 rooms, comprising the $3.5 billion hotel of Baha Mar which is expected to open in December 2014; meanwhile the Dominican Republic is not left behind as it carries out 10 projects with 2,600 rooms under construction.
The news that the tourism sector will continue to grow are truly encouraging for the Caribbean nations, as 14% of the region’s gross domestic product is derived from travel and tourism. The president and CEO of the London-based World Travel & Tourism Council, David Scowsill, highlighted how important this sector was for the region, as it is the primary industry for many of the countries.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic Varadero City Tour
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- All inclusive features a buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants and a choice of 4 bars (Local Sprits, Wine, beer & soft drinks served)
- Fantastic all-inclusive package with unlimited drinks 24/7
- Excellent selection of bars and restaurants Offers 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel during summer 2017
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Now Onyx Punta Cana is brand new resort opening in November 2016 and aims to offer a vibrant and active Unlimited-Luxury...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...