Boris Johnson "Impressed and Fascinated" by Abu Dhabi's Cultural Vision
After a recent visit to Abu Dhabi, Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London, has said that he is "impressed and fascinated" by the emirate's cultural vision. The mayor visited Saadiyat Island, which is set to become one of the city's leading destinations for Abu Dhabi holidays and will be home to the Zayed National Museum and the Louvre Abu Dhabi.
The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, has expressed his fascination for Abu Dhabi's cultural vision after a recent visit to Saadiyat Island.
The mayor said that he was "impressed and fascinated" by Saadiyat Island which is set to become one of the emirate's leading destinations for tourists taking Abu Dhabi holidays thanks to its Cultural District which will feature the Louvre Abu Dhabi, Zayed National Museum and Guggenheim Abu Dhabi.
Johnson visited the emirate to build links between the region and London and during his stay he met the chairman of Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority, HE Sheikh Sultan Bin Tahoon Al Nahyan.
The mayor took a particular interest in a model of the Zayed National Museum which was designed by Lord Norman Foster. He told Sheikh Sultan: "To my mind you are creating a cluster of true world beaters."
Johnson highlighted his interest in future collaborations with the emirate to create opportunities for cultural projects in London such as the area in and around the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in Stratford which is planned to become a world class sports, entertainment and cultural centre in honour of London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
"London and Abu Dhabi share a rich history of cultural exchange," stated Johnson.
"This is something I want to encourage. I have been hugely impressed by Abu Dhabi's scale of ambition in terms of developing a world class cultural offer. I am keen we explore ways for further future collaboration not least in London's growth areas such as Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in the east of the city which hosted last year's Olympic and Paralympic Games." he added.
Situated on 27 square-kilometres of land, 500m of the coast of Abu Dhabi, Saadiyat Island is a world class leisure, residential, business and tourism hub.
Home to seven districts, the island will be completed in phases up until 2020. One the project is finished, more than 160,000 people are expected to live on the island all year round and thousands more will be taking holidays to Abu Dhabi annually.
The natural island offers luxury Abu Dhabi hotels and resorts, iconic landmarks, over three million square metres of office space, marinas with berths for up to 1,000 boats, two championship golf courses, civic and leisure facilities, sea-view apartments and upscale villas that will be privately owned or rented out for holidays in Abu Dhabi.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Abu Dhabi Browse all
For the ultimate golf experience in Abu Dhabi, stay at a luxurious hotel with all the trimmings that sits right next to a championship golf course
- Enjoy golf at the 18-Hole championship Yas Links Golf Course
- A few minutes' walk from the exciting Yas Waterworld & Yas Island Beach
- Upgrade and experience Ferrari World - The largest indoor and first theme park on Yas Island
- Free Half Board Included in this amazing offer
Indulge yourself in endless luxury at the fabulous Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi Grand Canal
- fabulous location in the heart of Abu Dhabi with great views of Abu Dhabi's landmark the mosque
- one of the best kids clubs in Abu Dhabi
- amazing culinary experience with 10 restaurants to choose from
Enjoy your stay in Abu Dhabi at Shangri-La Qaryat Al Beri with stunning views of Abu Dhabi's landmark
- Enjoy stunning views of the Sheik Zayed Grand Mosque
- Relax on the private beach at the resort and at the luxurious Spa
- exclusively for our customers: free room upgrade on selected dates
- Walking distance to Abu Dhabi's duty free shopping malls and historial area
Start off at Al Raha Beach with plenty of shopping options nearby followed by a stay at Tilal Liwa Desert Camp
- Al Raha overlooks a pristine ribbon of private beach, and you'll be within easy access to the Formula 1 theme park and downtown Abu Dhabi
- Enjoy a wide range of unique experiences such as camel riding, desert safari, BBQ, wellness therapy and many more
- Relax in the pool overlooking the Liwa dunes and the vast desert beyond as far as your eye can see
Discover the hidden treasure in Abu Dhabi that is Crowne Plaza in Yas Island. It is the ideal accommodation for those...
Get away from all your concerns and enjoy a tranquil 4-day stay at the luxurious Beach Rotana Hotel & Towers whilst you...
Acquaint yourself with the luxurious Abu Dhabi lifestyle during a comfy 5-day stay at the Al Raha Beach Hotel....
Offering superb accommodation with a wide range of facilities, Yas Island Rotana is conveniently located on the...
Facing the Lulu Island and the Arabian Gulf, the stunning Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche is located in the one of the most...
The Beach Rotana Hotel is set on a pristine stretch of white beach on the shores of the Arabian Sea. Located in the...