South Africa's Garden Route listed in Forbes' bucket list trip
South Africa's Garden Route has been highlighted by Forbes, a leading business and finance magazine, as a destination to add to your all-important "bucket list". Travel Writer Larry Olmsted explains why South Africa's safaris, food, wine, wildlife and breathtaking scenery have captured his heart.
The leading business and finance magazine, Forbes, has showcased South Africa as a destination to add to your bucket list, after travel writer Larry Olmsted explained why the country captured his heart.
Olmsted highlighted the country's spectacular wildlife safaris and diverse landscapes, including South Africa's Garden Route.
Every year, thousands of holidaymakers travel to South Africa to explore its wildlife, sample it delicious cuisine, visit vineyards, and take a trip along the famous Garden Route.
The Garden Route is considered to be one of the greatest drives on earth and it stretches from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town. Along the way, tourists can admire views of undulating verdant vineyards, quiet sandy beaches, rocky headlands, and pine plantations.
Nature lovers will be in for a treat as there are plenty of national parks and whale-watching opportunities along the way in destinations such as Plettenberg Bay.
"There is the best land based whale watching anywhere, and plenty of opportunities to get out on the water, including diving with Great White sharks, something people come from all around the world to do and can easily be done as a day activity in Cape Town," explained Olmsted in the article.
He added: "There is word class hiking, sea kayaking, road and mountain biking."
In Cape Town, travellers can take part in several exhilarating activities as they make their way along South Africa's Garden Route, such as rock climbing, kloofing, trekking, quad tours, kayaking, abseiling, hiking, and camping.
Some of the must-see hotspots along the route include Nature's Valley, Knysna, the historic town of George, Mossel Bay, and the thriving Tsitsikamma National Park which is home to Bloukrans Bridge where visitors can attempt the world's highest bungee jump, hike along the Otter Trail passing cascading waterfalls, and enjoy bird watching.
"Cape Town is a wonderful city worth a few days on its own, set against the background of iconic Table Mountain (worth the hike!)," Olmsted wrote. "Its waterfront area is a great place to explore on foot, eat, drink and shop, and the surrounding beach and surf towns are charming."
In February this year, Compare Car Hire listed the Garden Route tour as one of the top five most romantic road trips in the world and it is being added to more and more bucket lists as tourists seek adventure and breathtaking sights during their global travels.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In South Africa Browse all
Explore the peaceful waterways of the V&A Waterfront Marina on a getaway in Cape Town.
- The comfortable apartments - The apartments are comfortable and filled with all the amenities you could wish for
- The V&A Waterfront Marina location – Being surrounded by good views , shops and restaurants this location serves as the perfect spot within which to get in the holiday spirit
- The self-catering facilities- Enjoy the added flexibility this brings
Best of Cape Town, Garden Route & Safari tour is your perfect choice to find out about the country, its history and culture.
- Your journey includes 3 exciting game drives to spot Africa's "Big Five": lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard and rhinoceros
- Highlights includes: Cape Town Garden Route seeing the Cango Caves and the Swartberg Mountain, safari game drives, The Winelands, Monkeyland, Knysna Forest and more
- Excellent services included in the tour: 10 days Toyoto Corolla Car rental with GPS and additional driver option
From the amazing Blyde River Canyon to the iconic table Mountain, this tour has it all!
- Explore the underground Cango Caves at Oudtshoorn
- Visit a real Chief's village in Swaziland
- Go in search of Africa's 'Big Five' in Kruger National Park
Explore the natural landscapes and wildlife that South Africa has to offer, before experiencing the Paradise of Seychelles.
- Have the time of your life, combining the best of both worlds!
- The resort is set between a turquoise lagoon and verdant green hills, beside its own bay of white sands. The resort is on the west coast of Mahe, just 35 minutes from the international airport.
- 5 days self drive tour in South Africa
Tour Summary South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
This is a two-week journey that you will never forget as you are taken in by South Africa's wealth of wonders and...
South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic combinations of...
Sprinkled alongside the tranquil waterways of the picturesque V&A Waterfront Marina, The waterfront village boasts a...
Overview Cape Town is the “Mother City”, South Africa’s oldest city, and one of the world’s...
From the moment we depart the Friendly City of Port Elizabeth, youll see and feel the changing landscapeand why we call...