South Africa's Garden Route listed in Forbes' bucket list trip
South Africa's Garden Route has been highlighted by Forbes, a leading business and finance magazine, as a destination to add to your all-important "bucket list". Travel Writer Larry Olmsted explains why South Africa's safaris, food, wine, wildlife and breathtaking scenery have captured his heart.
The leading business and finance magazine, Forbes, has showcased South Africa as a destination to add to your bucket list, after travel writer Larry Olmsted explained why the country captured his heart.
Olmsted highlighted the country's spectacular wildlife safaris and diverse landscapes, including South Africa's Garden Route.
Every year, thousands of holidaymakers travel to South Africa to explore its wildlife, sample it delicious cuisine, visit vineyards, and take a trip along the famous Garden Route.
The Garden Route is considered to be one of the greatest drives on earth and it stretches from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town. Along the way, tourists can admire views of undulating verdant vineyards, quiet sandy beaches, rocky headlands, and pine plantations.
Nature lovers will be in for a treat as there are plenty of national parks and whale-watching opportunities along the way in destinations such as Plettenberg Bay.
"There is the best land based whale watching anywhere, and plenty of opportunities to get out on the water, including diving with Great White sharks, something people come from all around the world to do and can easily be done as a day activity in Cape Town," explained Olmsted in the article.
He added: "There is word class hiking, sea kayaking, road and mountain biking."
In Cape Town, travellers can take part in several exhilarating activities as they make their way along South Africa's Garden Route, such as rock climbing, kloofing, trekking, quad tours, kayaking, abseiling, hiking, and camping.
Some of the must-see hotspots along the route include Nature's Valley, Knysna, the historic town of George, Mossel Bay, and the thriving Tsitsikamma National Park which is home to Bloukrans Bridge where visitors can attempt the world's highest bungee jump, hike along the Otter Trail passing cascading waterfalls, and enjoy bird watching.
"Cape Town is a wonderful city worth a few days on its own, set against the background of iconic Table Mountain (worth the hike!)," Olmsted wrote. "Its waterfront area is a great place to explore on foot, eat, drink and shop, and the surrounding beach and surf towns are charming."
In February this year, Compare Car Hire listed the Garden Route tour as one of the top five most romantic road trips in the world and it is being added to more and more bucket lists as tourists seek adventure and breathtaking sights during their global travels.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In South Africa Browse all
Go for the experience of lifetime on this self-driven Kruger route - a classical tour that offers something for everyone with magical views along the way.
- The package includes accommodation in carefully selected 4* properties, meals as well as car hire including a GPS during your entire journey
- The tour is 7 nights and 8 days long with insights into the history of South Africa, cultural diversity, adventure, scenic beauty and unforgettable safaris
- Enjoy 4 game drives including morning and afternoon safaris to see elephants, leopards, lions, rhinos, cheetahs, hippos and many more animals
Relaxing and unforgetable experince with 11 nights tour including an excellent range of facilities
- Experience the fruitful lifestyle of the Cape Region
- Discover the spectacular landscapes of the Kruger region
- Travel to Karongwe Private Game Reserve to get exclusive access, day and night, to a wide range of animals including the "Big Five"
Best of Cape Town, Garden Route & Safari tour is your perfect choice to find out about the country, its history and culture.
- Your journey includes 3 exciting game drives to spot Africa's "Big Five": lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard and rhinoceros
- Highlights includes: Cape Town Garden Route seeing the Cango Caves and the Swartberg Mountain, safari game drives, The Winelands, Monkeyland, Knysna Forest and more
- Excellent services included in the tour: 10 days Toyoto Corolla Car rental with GPS and additional driver option
Relax under the tropical sunshine in Mauritius before a spectacular look at South Africa
- Trip Advisor has awarded Lux* Grand Gaube the title of "Best Hotel in the World for Romance".
- Go search of Lion, Elephant, Buffalo, Rhino and Leopard, and all manner of wondrous wildlife, birds and plant species
- Indulge in a rejuvenating treatment at The Source Thalassotherapy and Spa. Lux*
Tour Summary South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
Overview South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
HIGHLIGHTS TOUR SAFARI, WINELANDS & CAPE TOWN South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place...
Nestled upon the St Lucia Estuary, the elephant lake hotel is surrounded by natural beauty and offers a thrilling array...
Sprinkled alongside the tranquil waterways of the picturesque V&A Waterfront Marina, The waterfront village boasts a...
Surrounded by more than 8,000 hectares of malaria free, unspoiled African bushveld, the affordable, laidback and...