Dominican Republic hopes to reach 10 million annual visitors by attracting more Asian holidaymakers
The already leading holiday destination in the Caribbean, the Dominican Republic, now wishes to attract 10 million visitors per year by 2022. The key to achieving this goal could be persuading more Chinese tourists to spend Dominican Republic holidays.
The Dominican Republic, with its white-sand beaches, beautiful nature and warm temperature, is already the leading tourism destination in the Caribbean with 4.6 million visitors in 2012. However, the country wishes to continue increasing this number, and hopes to achieve the goal of 10 million tourist arrivals per year by 2022. Tourism authorities believe that the key to reaching this sum could be in persuading more Chinese visitors to take Dominican Republic holidays.
The country’s tourism department has set out an aggressive marketing campaign to get the attention of the 80 million Chinese natives that travel the world today. By advertising the Dominican Republic as the ideal Caribbean paradise, they hope make it one of the Far East’s most popular holiday destinations.
No time is being wasted in putting the new strategy into practice. Even President Danilo Medina has been taking part in this important campaign. He recently welcomed two high-profile Chinese families that were spending holidays in the Dominican Republic to the National Palace. The President was also involved in the production of an Asian-oriented infomercial and fashion magazine spread.
Robert Gavin, director and founding partner of worldwide investment company, Property Horizons, pointed out the island’s tourism success in the past few years and stated he was optimistic about their plans for the future. “The Dominican Republic is a prime example of how, even in the midst of an economic downturn, it is possible to drive tourist growth,” he stated “Promoting every diverse attraction the island has to offer, the Dominican Republic has worked hard to outpace not only global tourism growth (4%) but the Caribbean too (4.8%) recording the highest regional growth at 6.6% for the second year consecutively in 2012. And that’s not an easy feat!”
The island proves to be a dream holiday destination, as it holds infinite attractions for every type of tourist. Relaxation and luxury is available at any of the top Dominican Republic resorts and hotels, where guests can enjoy the stunning beaches and great service; meanwhile the adventurous type can explore the island’s mountainous interior and its amazing wildlife while on incredible hiking excursions. The welcoming people, the fascinating history and warm climate has also made it a popular destination for young North American travellers during the Spring Break.
However, the Dominican Republic is not only building a stronger reputation as a tourism venue, but also as a fantastic location for a second home. Thanks to the increasing number of European and Asian buyers, the island’s rental market is buoyant and properties are selling quicker than ever.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Enjoy the relaxed vibes of the all inclusive resort in Punta Cana, complete with exclusive extras for couples!
- Enjoy a la carte cuisine in La Gondola, La perla or grills at media luna
- The resort is set in a picturesque location beside a secluded stretch of beach at Punta Cana
- Receive a 10% discount at the hotel spa
Be Live Collection Punta Cana offers Pristine white beaches, swaying palms and a pulsating Latin vibe
Head to where the sun shines and enjoy a week-long holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana. Here you'll find endless fun for all the family as well as plenty of relaxing options for adults.
- World class facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
- Free upgrade to the Superior Deluxe Room
- 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a white soda beach that's perfect for snorkelling
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach ensures total relaxation
- The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience includes complimentary dinner, drinks and entertainment at a restaurant or bar at a participating resort of their choice
- Guestrooms and Suites provide a wealth of amenities including a daily refreshed mini bar, 24 hour room and concierge services, a large TV and much more
- The resort has a great location next to a pristine golden sand beach and lush tropical jungle
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Answer the call of the Dominican Republic's third-largest city and plunge into a world of lush tropical jungles and...
A holiday on the picturesque beaches of the Dominican Republic is what most everyone dreams about. Make your dreams come...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...
Spend eight days lazing in the abundant Punta Cana sunshine as you enjoy the best in hospitality that the Dominican...
Don't miss out on the ultimate 8-day Caribbean experience at the all-inclusive Be Live Hamaca in Punta Cana, Dominican...