The Guardian lists the top hotels for a budget holiday in Jamaica
The Guardian has released its list of the top affordable Jamaica hotels near the beach. The list features hotels from some of Jamaica's best love destinations including Negril, Ocho Rios and even Port Antonio. As Jamaica's tourism industry grapples with the global economic downturn and the resulting decline in international visitors, promoting affordable options for Jamaica holidays will be key.
As part of its “The world’s best beach hotels and accommodation on budget” series, leading UK newspaper the Guardian has released its list of the top Jamaica hotels near the beach for those travelling on a budget. The hotels identified have room rates that start from as low as £20 - ideal for those travellers who want to enjoy the best of the stunning white sand Jamaican beaches during relaxing Jamaica holidays without splurging on high end luxury accommodation.
The list featured several Negril hotels including the Palms Resort and Banana Shout and the Rockhouse hotel. However, with its unique combination of laid back Caribbean charm and some of the comforts one would expect to find in a luxury boutique hotel, the Rockhouse hotel stands out from the crowd. Each room, some of which come with a private terrace, is designed in the style of a stone hut complete with thatched roofs. At the Rockhouse, guests can enjoy luxury amenities including a spa and mouth watering cuisine.
Of course Negril is just one of many affordable Jamaica holiday destinations. The list also highlighted hotels from St Mary to St Elizabeth and Ocho Rios as well as the exclusive Port Antonio. The San San Tropez hotel in Port Antonio, Portland boasts spacious rooms and easy access to some of the best beaches in Jamaica including the Blue Lagoon and Frenchman’s Cove.
In light of the current economic climate there is no doubt that travellers from key source markets like the UK are seeking more affordable holiday options- a fact which many Caribbean destinations are struggling with. Recent figures released from the Jamaican Tourism Board (JTB) indicate a 4.7 per cent decline in the number of international travellers booking holidays toJamaica in the month of January compared with the same month in 2012.
Of the drop in international visitors Minister of Tourism and Entertainment Dr Wykeham McNeill noted the following, “We have been experiencing a transition in our industry that, coupled with the persisting global economic conditions in markets such as the US, North America and the UK, has substantially affected our industry performance” As a result officials have been focusing their efforts on promoting growth in domestic tourism by launching its “Experience Jamaica” campaign. As part of the campaign, the JTB is offering local holidaymakers discounted rates of up to 50 per cent for bookings in participating Jamaica hotels.
While it has taken steps to promote domestic growth, highlighting the many possibilities for those planning to travel to Jamaica on a tight budget will be a key strategy for the Jamaican tourism industry as it seeks to address the unexpected decline in international ar
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Enjoy free round-trip transfers and complimentary golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Enjoy a holiday of a lifetime with various extras including free round trip transfers and complimentary 18-hole golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- 24-Hour Gourmet Dining, Premium Alcoholic Beverages & Soft Drinks
- Choice of 5 unique restaurants and 4 Bars including a Swim-up bar
- Complimentary excursions including a trip to a popular sunset bar or a brillant catamaran cruise
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Club Ambience is set on the shoreline in Runaway Bay, a small town in the parish of St Ann on the north coast of...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...