The Guardian lists the top hotels for a budget holiday in Jamaica
The Guardian has released its list of the top affordable Jamaica hotels near the beach. The list features hotels from some of Jamaica's best love destinations including Negril, Ocho Rios and even Port Antonio. As Jamaica's tourism industry grapples with the global economic downturn and the resulting decline in international visitors, promoting affordable options for Jamaica holidays will be key.
As part of its “The world’s best beach hotels and accommodation on budget” series, leading UK newspaper the Guardian has released its list of the top Jamaica hotels near the beach for those travelling on a budget. The hotels identified have room rates that start from as low as £20 - ideal for those travellers who want to enjoy the best of the stunning white sand Jamaican beaches during relaxing Jamaica holidays without splurging on high end luxury accommodation.
The list featured several Negril hotels including the Palms Resort and Banana Shout and the Rockhouse hotel. However, with its unique combination of laid back Caribbean charm and some of the comforts one would expect to find in a luxury boutique hotel, the Rockhouse hotel stands out from the crowd. Each room, some of which come with a private terrace, is designed in the style of a stone hut complete with thatched roofs. At the Rockhouse, guests can enjoy luxury amenities including a spa and mouth watering cuisine.
Of course Negril is just one of many affordable Jamaica holiday destinations. The list also highlighted hotels from St Mary to St Elizabeth and Ocho Rios as well as the exclusive Port Antonio. The San San Tropez hotel in Port Antonio, Portland boasts spacious rooms and easy access to some of the best beaches in Jamaica including the Blue Lagoon and Frenchman’s Cove.
In light of the current economic climate there is no doubt that travellers from key source markets like the UK are seeking more affordable holiday options- a fact which many Caribbean destinations are struggling with. Recent figures released from the Jamaican Tourism Board (JTB) indicate a 4.7 per cent decline in the number of international travellers booking holidays toJamaica in the month of January compared with the same month in 2012.
Of the drop in international visitors Minister of Tourism and Entertainment Dr Wykeham McNeill noted the following, “We have been experiencing a transition in our industry that, coupled with the persisting global economic conditions in markets such as the US, North America and the UK, has substantially affected our industry performance” As a result officials have been focusing their efforts on promoting growth in domestic tourism by launching its “Experience Jamaica” campaign. As part of the campaign, the JTB is offering local holidaymakers discounted rates of up to 50 per cent for bookings in participating Jamaica hotels.
While it has taken steps to promote domestic growth, highlighting the many possibilities for those planning to travel to Jamaica on a tight budget will be a key strategy for the Jamaican tourism industry as it seeks to address the unexpected decline in international ar
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Book and save over £500 per family with discounted rates for 2017 and 2018 and up to 2 Kids stay FREE
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Enjoy huge savings on this amazing hotel including 'Live It Up' for travel in 2018 slashing higher room category prices
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Luxury and romance at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
- Catamaran for the exclusive use by Secrets Resorts & Spas guests
- World-class Spa by Pevonia®
- Exclusively situated on Montego Bay’s breathtaking Peninsula, surrounded by the Caribbean Sea
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free!
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...