2013 promises to be a good year for the popularity of Caribbean holidays
Las month's Caribbean Travel Marketplace has made hotel executives in the region optimistic about tourism income this year. The rising number of visitors taking Caribbean holidays this year, as well as the growth of hotel revenue indicates a great outcome for tourism in 2013.
2013 promises to be a good year for tourism in the Caribbean, according to hotel executives from the sunny region. Delegates attending last month’s Caribbean Travel Marketplace, which took place in the Bahamas and was produced by the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA), were very optimistic about this year’s tourism income, due to the rising number of travellers taking Caribbean holidays and the growth in hotel revenue already.
According to Bill Clegg, regional vice president, brand performance and programs for Choice Hotels International, the travel event offered great “matchmaking” opportunities for hotels, tourism attractions, tour operators and travel partners. “As we (Choice Hotels International) execute our marketing strategy and renew our commitment to product and brand performance in the Caribbean this year,” he stated “we are especially buoyed by the sentiment emerging from stakeholders about a part of the region we at Choice Hotels hold dear.”
The promise of increasing tourism income has made hotel franchisors, such as Choice Hotels International, want to increase their properties in the Caribbean. Even though the amount of tourists taking luxury holidays in the Caribbean has decreased due to the economic recession, tourism income in the region has greatly increased over the years and promises to keep rising in 2013. For this reason, Choice Hotels International, which already the franchisor for eight hotels in the Bahamas, Curacao, Grand Cayman and Puerto Rico, is looking to add at least three new Caribbean destinations to its roster.
Beverly Nicholson-Doty, recently elected chairman of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO), shares Bill Clegg’s optimism. “The state of Caribbean tourism gives us reason to be optimistic. The optimism is based on the positive signs of growth following earlier down years.”
She added; “We are optimistic because we see arrival numbers rising, particularly out of North America; we see hotel revenues moving in the right direction, albeit with moderate acceleration and we see tourist spend on the increase.”
A huge factor that has influenced this growth has been the appearance of cheap deals to the Caribbean; this way, tourism to the region has regained los territory from the economic depression in 2008-2009. “All the signs suggest Caribbean tourism is rallying,” she continued.
The CTO also confirmed that the Caribbean had welcomed nearly 25 million tourists in 2012, which represents 5.4 percent more than in 2011 and the largest number of stay-over travellers in five years. This significant growth outperformed the rest of the world which saw arrivals increase by 4 percent. Everything seems to indicate that this year the number of holidaymakers arriving to the region will continue to rise by 4 per cent, as visitors decide to experience high-quality yet affordable holidays in the Caribbean.
“These are very encouraging statistics,” Clegg concluded, with best hopes for the future of Choice Hotels International which will expand its properties in the region.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...