Air Europa and AirPlus to replace Iberia's Caribbean flights to Cuba and the Dominican Republic
The Spanish airline, Iberia, just announced it would cancel its long-haul routes to Santo Domingo and Havana starting next month. Taking advantage are Air Europa and AirPlus which both intend to take over these flights to Cuba and the Dominican Republic .
As part of a restructuring plan looking to eliminate the most loss-making routes, the renowned Spanish airline, Iberia, recently announced it would cancel its long-haul flights to Santo Domingo and Havana starting 1st April. This measure, has caught the attention of Air Europa and AirPlus, fellow airlines that wish take over by increasing their services to these and several other Caribbean countries.
Just two weeks after Iberia pronounced their decision, Air Europa has stated it will add three new weekly round-trip flights between Madrid and the Cuban capital. The airline, which already operates flights from the Madrid-Barajas Airport to the Jose Marti International Airport, will increase their services to the island by adding new flights to Havana on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays. Travellers heading to Cuba with Air Europa in this new route, will fly in an Airbus 330-200 with 299 passenger seats, including 24 seats in business class.
The Dominican Republic is also a top priority for Air Europa’s expansion plans. The airline has made an agreement with the Dominican government to double its connections to the country’s different airports, starting next month, when Iberia stops operating its usual routes to the Caribbean. As part of the arrangement, flights to Las Americas International Airport, in the capital, will be doubled from seven to 14 weekly frequencies and flights to Punta Cana, the Dominican Republic’s leading tourist destination, will increase from four to seven.
Air Europa is not alone in wanting to take advantage of Iberia’s withdrawal. The Caribbean and Latin America Tourist Journal website has noted AirPlus’ marked interest in also expanding its Caribbean connections, by publishing that the airline could already be operating flights to the Dominican Republic, Cuba and Argentina before summer begins.
According to the website, Julio Martinez, manager of AirPlus, has declared that the new services will begin only after the acquisition of a new plane from a Portuguese company. In order for the new project to succeed, the airline will start out using Airbus A-340, similar to the ones used by Iberia for Latin American flights, but hope to gradually replace them with A-330 airplanes. However, the A-340 planes won’t be ready for passengers until the upcoming month of May.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Make your trip to Phuket one to remember at romantic and secluded Rawai beach
- Head to Promthep Cape for the most beautiful sunset in Thailand
- Relaxing location close to the beach
- Free shuttle services to Ya Nui beach, Nai Harn beach and Kata beach
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...