Air Europa and AirPlus to replace Iberia's Caribbean flights to Cuba and the Dominican Republic
The Spanish airline, Iberia, just announced it would cancel its long-haul routes to Santo Domingo and Havana starting next month. Taking advantage are Air Europa and AirPlus which both intend to take over these flights to Cuba and the Dominican Republic .
As part of a restructuring plan looking to eliminate the most loss-making routes, the renowned Spanish airline, Iberia, recently announced it would cancel its long-haul flights to Santo Domingo and Havana starting 1st April. This measure, has caught the attention of Air Europa and AirPlus, fellow airlines that wish take over by increasing their services to these and several other Caribbean countries.
Just two weeks after Iberia pronounced their decision, Air Europa has stated it will add three new weekly round-trip flights between Madrid and the Cuban capital. The airline, which already operates flights from the Madrid-Barajas Airport to the Jose Marti International Airport, will increase their services to the island by adding new flights to Havana on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays. Travellers heading to Cuba with Air Europa in this new route, will fly in an Airbus 330-200 with 299 passenger seats, including 24 seats in business class.
The Dominican Republic is also a top priority for Air Europa’s expansion plans. The airline has made an agreement with the Dominican government to double its connections to the country’s different airports, starting next month, when Iberia stops operating its usual routes to the Caribbean. As part of the arrangement, flights to Las Americas International Airport, in the capital, will be doubled from seven to 14 weekly frequencies and flights to Punta Cana, the Dominican Republic’s leading tourist destination, will increase from four to seven.
Air Europa is not alone in wanting to take advantage of Iberia’s withdrawal. The Caribbean and Latin America Tourist Journal website has noted AirPlus’ marked interest in also expanding its Caribbean connections, by publishing that the airline could already be operating flights to the Dominican Republic, Cuba and Argentina before summer begins.
According to the website, Julio Martinez, manager of AirPlus, has declared that the new services will begin only after the acquisition of a new plane from a Portuguese company. In order for the new project to succeed, the airline will start out using Airbus A-340, similar to the ones used by Iberia for Latin American flights, but hope to gradually replace them with A-330 airplanes. However, the A-340 planes won’t be ready for passengers until the upcoming month of May.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Free upgrade to half board on selected dates and two children stay free when sharing with parents
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal in Agra, experience a feast to remember with a traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- An English-Speaking local Guide will take you around the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
Stretching along a blessed mile of powdery soft sands, this all-inclusive resort is the perfect place for endless family fun.
- The Kids Club has an outdoor playground and kids-only pool while the Teen Centre for over 13s offers a great variety of fun activities
- Enjoy a FREE glass bottom boat trip, island jeep safari and island coach tour
- Fantastic location 30 minutes to Bridgetown, 5 minutes to Speightstown and 15 minutes to Holetown, there is plenty to explore around the Almond Beach Resort
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Perfectly positioned right at the heart of Marrakesh's chic and trendy Hivernage district, a modern neighbourhood in...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Offering superb accommodation with a wide range of facilities, Yas Island Rotana is conveniently located on the...