Air Europa and AirPlus to replace Iberia's Caribbean flights to Cuba and the Dominican Republic
The Spanish airline, Iberia, just announced it would cancel its long-haul routes to Santo Domingo and Havana starting next month. Taking advantage are Air Europa and AirPlus which both intend to take over these flights to Cuba and the Dominican Republic .
As part of a restructuring plan looking to eliminate the most loss-making routes, the renowned Spanish airline, Iberia, recently announced it would cancel its long-haul flights to Santo Domingo and Havana starting 1st April. This measure, has caught the attention of Air Europa and AirPlus, fellow airlines that wish take over by increasing their services to these and several other Caribbean countries.
Just two weeks after Iberia pronounced their decision, Air Europa has stated it will add three new weekly round-trip flights between Madrid and the Cuban capital. The airline, which already operates flights from the Madrid-Barajas Airport to the Jose Marti International Airport, will increase their services to the island by adding new flights to Havana on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays. Travellers heading to Cuba with Air Europa in this new route, will fly in an Airbus 330-200 with 299 passenger seats, including 24 seats in business class.
The Dominican Republic is also a top priority for Air Europa’s expansion plans. The airline has made an agreement with the Dominican government to double its connections to the country’s different airports, starting next month, when Iberia stops operating its usual routes to the Caribbean. As part of the arrangement, flights to Las Americas International Airport, in the capital, will be doubled from seven to 14 weekly frequencies and flights to Punta Cana, the Dominican Republic’s leading tourist destination, will increase from four to seven.
Air Europa is not alone in wanting to take advantage of Iberia’s withdrawal. The Caribbean and Latin America Tourist Journal website has noted AirPlus’ marked interest in also expanding its Caribbean connections, by publishing that the airline could already be operating flights to the Dominican Republic, Cuba and Argentina before summer begins.
According to the website, Julio Martinez, manager of AirPlus, has declared that the new services will begin only after the acquisition of a new plane from a Portuguese company. In order for the new project to succeed, the airline will start out using Airbus A-340, similar to the ones used by Iberia for Latin American flights, but hope to gradually replace them with A-330 airplanes. However, the A-340 planes won’t be ready for passengers until the upcoming month of May.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
For an amazing price, you can experience a tropical paradise where everything is included - Ambre Resort offers affordable luxury for all to enjoy
- Free Sports including Golf at the 18 hole championship golf course at Le Touessrok Mauriitus
- Enjoy a selection of restaurants and Bar inlcuding a swim-up bar
- Ambre resorts has stunning view of the Indian Ocean and boasts a 700-metres long white natural beach
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Experience luxurious accommodations, modern business and leisure amenities and an ideal location in the heart of Abu...