Tours of India increasing in popularity
Industry insiders are all taking note of India as one of the top emerging holiday destinations. Tourism statistics are already encouraging and with plans for increased accessibility and popular movies like Life of Pi and Slumdog Millionaire firmly planting this destination into the minds of travellers, bookings for Golden Triangle Tours, which give travellers the opportunity to visit key attractions in Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, are expected to increase steadily in the coming years.
Tourism industry experts are citing India as one of the top holiday destinations to watch in the coming years. Statistics are already indicating a growing number of travellers booking India holidays. Notably, India's 2011 foreign arrival growth was twice that of the global average in a year when many other destinations were struggling with the global economic downturn.
India's Ministry of Tourism (MoT), recently released the January 2013 foreign tourist arrival figures, which, according to an official spokesperson, indicated that, "In January 2012, the foreign tourist arrivals to India was 0.681 million and in January 2011 it stood at 0.623 million... There has been a growth of 2.6% in January 2013 over January 2012".
In addition to India's rich culture and breathtaking landscapes, improved accessibility is one factor which some believe has led to the upward trends seen in the country's tourism sector. Newly built highways are said to have led to an increase in the popularity of Golden Triangle Tours and with plans to have 500 airports operational by 2020, 15 of which have already been launched in 2012, travellers will soon be able to access some of India's more remote attractions with greater ease.
Punet Kashyap, managing director at Diethelm Travel Group noted the following in his assessment of India as a growing tourism hotspot, "India has long proven too expensive for the international MICE market, when compared with neighbouring destinations with existing products... However, with a proliferation of mid-tier hotels, urban decentralisation, infrastructure upgrades and the development of tier-two and -three cities, it is a growing segment, albeit currently fuelled by the domestic market".
Others have noted that the portrayal of the world's second most populous country in books and blockbuster movies have led to the growth in interest in tours of India. Books including Gregory David Roberts' Shantaram and Aravind Adiga's White Tiger and the success of recent movies including Slumdog Millionaire, Eat Pray Love and 2012's Life of Pi have all served to capture the imaginations of audiences around the world with many inspired to embark on Golden Triangle Tours which provide the unique opportunity to explore some of India's most popular attractions including the Taj Mahal.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In India Browse all
Glimpses of Kerala allows you to see the unique geographical features that have made it one of the most sought after tourist destinations in Asia
- Enjoy a stay upon an enchanting Houseboat
- English speaking guide
- Enjoy a private tour with an extra £99 per person, £300 off the usual price (includes private car, driver and guides)
Be moved by India's icons; from the majestic Taj Mahal to the natural beauty of Keoladeo National Park - this is India at its best.
- Experience the Royal Maharaja lifestyle with a stay in a wonderful Bharatpur Palace
- Discover the magnificent City Palace Museum and enjoy an authentic Rajasthani feast in Jaipur
- See Humayun's Tomb in Delhi, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the first garden-tomb on the Indian subcontinent
Follow in the footsteps of the characters from The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel Film on This Amazing India Tour
Go on a holiday like no other on this stunning India tour visting various famous sights sure to live long in the memory
- You will visit the famous 'Best Exotic Marigold Hotel', Ravla Khempur was originally a tribal chieftain's palace but now it operates as an equestrian hotel in the village of Khempur
- During this tour you will have the services of an Englsih speaking local guide all transfers will be in air conditioned vehicles
- Take advantage of the various extras include on the tour such as an Elephant ride at Amber Fort, Bicycle Rickshaw in Old Delhi and a fabulous lunch at Castle Kanota
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Be introduced to the magic of India with the perfect 9 night tour encompassing amazing sights through the cities of...
Enjoy an India adventure with this ten night tour of some of India's most mystical cities and attractions. This is a...
Discover the untold treasures of the capital of the Indian state of Kerala with an eight-day excursion to Trivandrum. It...
Ideally located on the shore of the longest beach, The Zuri White Sands, Goa Resort and Casino is perfect for those...
Tour Overview With the Arabian Sea in the west, the Western Ghats towering 500-2700 m in the east and networked by 44...