Dominican Republic exploits its eco-friendly appeal for nature-loving holidaymakers
With more biodiversity richness than can be found anywhere in the Caribbean, the Dominican Republic is seeking to showcase its wealth of natural attractions to nature-loving tourists in search of unique experiences. During eco-friendly holidays to the Dominican Republic, travellers will be able to discover amazing natural sights, reserves and parks thriving with abundant wildlife.
With 25 per cent of verdant land and idyllic coastline, comprising lush nature reserves, national parks and bird sanctuaries, the Dominican Republic certainly stands out as the Caribbean’s most bio-diverse country, and the popular holiday destination is keen to showcase its eco-friendly potential to nature-loving tourists seeking amazing natural encounters during their Dominican Republic holidays.
Eager to promote its wealth of ecological wonders and natural sites, the Dominican Republic’s marketing advisor for the Ministry of Tourism, Magaly Toribio, explains just what makes this Caribbean nation one of the top spots for enriching nature holidays; “We work hard to preserve Dominican Republic's nine distinct ecological zones so that visitors can have incredible eco-adventures and witness nature's wonders," she says.
“Our 19 national parks, many forest reserves, natural monuments and wildlife refuges are a national treasure protected for generations to come." Ms Toribio added.
Since the creation in 1962 of the Dominican Republic's Marine Mammal Sanctuary for Humpback Whales, the country has been a forerunner in environmental and marine-oriented protection and conservational efforts that ensure thriving nature abounds so that it can be enjoyed by visitors and locals alike.
For eco tourists seeking unique and enthralling adventures during their nature holidays in the Dominican Republic, January through March can prove the most exciting time to visit, as this is when up to 5,000 humpback whales can be spotted on their migratory route to the Northeast Coast. The whales come to bathe in Samana Bay’s warm waters to nurse their young offspring and it is a truly magical sight to witness.
Some of the top natural sites to visit during eco-friendly holidays to the Dominican Republic include:
The 27 Waterfalls of Damajagua: situated just 30 minutes from Puerto Plata this is one of the Dominican Republic's best-kept secrets. Your adrenaline will undoubtedly kick-in as you hike to and from each waterfall – jumping from the tops, and swimming and sliding your way back to the base camp.
Los Haitises National Park: here visitors can step back in time and experience what the world was like millions of years ago at one of the world's most marvellous and mysterious parks. The mangrove swamps, islets and caves are meant to be explored.
Saona Island: Take a catamaran from Bayahibe Beach in La Romana and you'll see the National Park of the East, the sea's natural pool and a mangrove swamp reserve before reaching Saona Island – the country's largest off-shore island. Stretching 42 square miles (68k), it boasts more than 112 species of birds, turtles, sharks, bottle-nose dolphins and manatees.
Jarabacoa: found in Dominican Republic's La Vega Province, Jarabacoa is considered the country's ecotourism birthplace and the ideal spot for a breathtaking horseback ride. Often called the "city of eternal spring" by Dominicans, the town's steady climate provides ideal weather for outdoor adventures.
Bahia de las Aguilas: located on the southwest coast is Pedernales, a bio-diverse locale with abundant nature and breathtaking views. Must-sees include the flora-filled Jaragua National Park, Lake Enriquillo, the deepest point in the Caribbean and Bahia de las Aguilas, a striking beach made up of fine white sand and coral reefs.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Enjoy the relaxed vibes of the all inclusive resort in Punta Cana, complete with exclusive extras for couples!
- Enjoy a la carte cuisine in La Gondola, La perla or grills at media luna
- The resort is set in a picturesque location beside a secluded stretch of beach at Punta Cana
- Receive a 10% discount at the hotel spa
From the allure of the beach to the excellence of premium all-inclusive service, this is the place to make your every holiday dream an unforgettable reality
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy an array of activities including watersports, golf, horse riding, organised ball games, aerobic, dance and Spanish classes and more.
- De-stress at the world-class spa and select from an indulging array of treatments
- Family friendly services including an Explorer's Club for kids and a Core Zone for teens
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach ensures total relaxation
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- The resort has a great location next to a pristine golden sand beach and lush tropical jungle
- Guestrooms and Suites provide a wealth of amenities including a daily refreshed mini bar, 24 hour room and concierge services, a large TV and much more
- The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience includes complimentary dinner, drinks and entertainment at a restaurant or bar at a participating resort of their choice
Unveil a secret made just for two in a luxurious Dominican enclave
- Each room offers comfortable bedding, daily refreshed mini bar, a terrace or balcony with exterior Jacuzzi, flat screen TV and so much more
- Take advantage of the Dine-Around option available at the hotel's sister property Now Larimar Punta Cana
- Set beside a perfect palm fringed beach, on the east coast of the Dominican Republic
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
A holiday on the picturesque beaches of the Dominican Republic is what most everyone dreams about. Make your dreams come...
Answer the call of the Dominican Republic's third-largest city and plunge into a world of lush tropical jungles and...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of the Dominican Republic where the amazing beaches of Juan Dolio await you. Also...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...
Enjoy the best of the Dominican Republic with a holiday at Bayahibe, a resort town choke full of attractions. Beside...