Cuba readies to welcome 3 million holidaymakers in 2013
With 2012 already proving to be a successful year in terms of tourism arrivals, Cuba is already gearing up to receive even larger numbers in 2013. But in order to keep up with growing demand from an increasing number of tourists heading to Cuba holidays, the island has to shape up, with an enhanced tourism infrastructure.
Already well on their way to receiving the forecasted 2.9 million tourists this year, Cuba is already gearing up to welcome 3 million holidaymakers in 2013. Banking on the continued popularity of Cuba holidays the island’s tourism ministry is pressing ahead with plans to improve infrastructure to allow for the increased flow of visitors expected in the coming year.
Cuban Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero highlighted the need to plough ahead with new projects and work hard on expanding tourist infrastructure. He explained how for this purpose the minsity hard worked intensevely in order to create optimum conditions for a successful 2013.
However, the minister also acknowledged that the challengers encountered were not easy to overcome and the tourism sector had gone through some difficulties over the past few years, with issues such as poor marketing strategies implemented by Cuba hotels and travel agencies, a number of cruise suspensions coming from Europe, a decrease in arrivals in Cuban emigrants from the United States returning to the island to visit family and the drastic negative impact of the economic crisis in Spain in Italy, which were two of the strongest markets sending a large proportion of tourists to holidays in Cuba.
Talking about more positive factors that have positively influenced Cuba’s holiday industry this year, Marrero went on to explain how the input of privately-owned local businesses and the boom of enterpreneurs in the island had helped draw more tourists and fill gaps in the demands for products. “Today we have a new vision of non-state tourism, since we don´t see it as a competitor, but a complement to state tourism” Marrero said.
Today, there are over 1700 “paladares” (private restaurants owned by locals and often housed inside locals’ homes) in Cuba, over 4,280 rooms offering accommodation to tourists planning holidays to Cuba, and over 700 houses for rent, with all this being part of the non-state tourism, which is known for offering a very high quality service thanks to the warm and welcoming hospitality of the locals. These kind of local "homely" establishment are highly favoured by Spanish, Italian and British tourists.
The privately-owned taxis and colonial carriages are another type of private tourism business enthusiastically operated by locals. The craft sales fair are well liked by holidaymakers visiting Cuba because in some cases visitors can see the artist working in real time.
Mr Marrero also added that some self-employed people in Cuba are also starting to work in state-owned facilities, mainly engaged in entertainment and animation services, photography and party planning. He also made a call to all those working to enhance tourism infrastructure in Cuba to work efficiently by means of a proper investment process for materials and supplies to arrive in time, to avoid delays in projects.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...