Cuba readies to welcome 3 million holidaymakers in 2013
With 2012 already proving to be a successful year in terms of tourism arrivals, Cuba is already gearing up to receive even larger numbers in 2013. But in order to keep up with growing demand from an increasing number of tourists heading to Cuba holidays, the island has to shape up, with an enhanced tourism infrastructure.
Already well on their way to receiving the forecasted 2.9 million tourists this year, Cuba is already gearing up to welcome 3 million holidaymakers in 2013. Banking on the continued popularity of Cuba holidays the island’s tourism ministry is pressing ahead with plans to improve infrastructure to allow for the increased flow of visitors expected in the coming year.
Cuban Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero highlighted the need to plough ahead with new projects and work hard on expanding tourist infrastructure. He explained how for this purpose the minsity hard worked intensevely in order to create optimum conditions for a successful 2013.
However, the minister also acknowledged that the challengers encountered were not easy to overcome and the tourism sector had gone through some difficulties over the past few years, with issues such as poor marketing strategies implemented by Cuba hotels and travel agencies, a number of cruise suspensions coming from Europe, a decrease in arrivals in Cuban emigrants from the United States returning to the island to visit family and the drastic negative impact of the economic crisis in Spain in Italy, which were two of the strongest markets sending a large proportion of tourists to holidays in Cuba.
Talking about more positive factors that have positively influenced Cuba’s holiday industry this year, Marrero went on to explain how the input of privately-owned local businesses and the boom of enterpreneurs in the island had helped draw more tourists and fill gaps in the demands for products. “Today we have a new vision of non-state tourism, since we don´t see it as a competitor, but a complement to state tourism” Marrero said.
Today, there are over 1700 “paladares” (private restaurants owned by locals and often housed inside locals’ homes) in Cuba, over 4,280 rooms offering accommodation to tourists planning holidays to Cuba, and over 700 houses for rent, with all this being part of the non-state tourism, which is known for offering a very high quality service thanks to the warm and welcoming hospitality of the locals. These kind of local "homely" establishment are highly favoured by Spanish, Italian and British tourists.
The privately-owned taxis and colonial carriages are another type of private tourism business enthusiastically operated by locals. The craft sales fair are well liked by holidaymakers visiting Cuba because in some cases visitors can see the artist working in real time.
Mr Marrero also added that some self-employed people in Cuba are also starting to work in state-owned facilities, mainly engaged in entertainment and animation services, photography and party planning. He also made a call to all those working to enhance tourism infrastructure in Cuba to work efficiently by means of a proper investment process for materials and supplies to arrive in time, to avoid delays in projects.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Starfish Varadero has to offer for an amazing price!
- Stay entertained with daily activities, land sports, water sports and lively shows
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view - limited availability
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...