Jamaica holiday industry to invest $30 million in Montego Bay
Jamaica's Tourism Enhancement Fund, an agency of the Ministry of Tourism, has recently announced a $30 million investment in Montego Bay. A significant portion of the funds will be used to enable the repositioning of the Montego Bay Civic Centre as a multidimensional museum and cultural centre. Once a favourite for the travellers booking Jamaica holidays, Montego Bay has since lost rank to other key destinations like Negril, the TEF's investment may well be a turning point for the city.
Tourism officials in Jamaica have demonstrated their commitment to continuously improving the island’s tourism brand. The Tourism Enhancement Fund (TEF), an agency of the Ministry of Tourism and Entertainment, recently announced that it would be investing an impressive $30 million in the popular holiday resort of Montego Bay. The money will be used to revitalise the city centre with one of the first projects in the pipeline said to be a repositioning of the historic Montego Bay Civic Centre to a multi-dimensional museum and cultural centre.
One of the strategic goals of the TEF is to enhance the tourism experience for travellers on their holidays in Jamaica, as part of this strategy the TEF chairman, Senator Noel Sloley and Minister of Tourism Dr. Wykeham McNeill recognised the importance of providing a “major cultural attraction”. Situated at the very heart of the city, the Civic Centre is the ideal was first constructed in 1810 and has since been an integral part of the city’s rich heritage serving as the civic, commercial and political centre of the parish of St. James. With a growing interest in cultural Jamaica holidays, the Civic Centre can certainly prove to be a major tourist attraction and undoubtedly has the potential to give tourism in Montego Bay the boost that the TEF and the Ministry of Tourism envisage.
Planned upgrades to the Montego Bay Civic Centre include:
• State of the art lighting
• Research and Learning facilities
• Interactive audio Visuals
• Exhibition Cases
• Art Shows
• Dining Facilities
• An open courtyard
Once dubbed the “tourism capital” of Jamaica Montego Bay has long been a favourite for travellers booking Jamaica holidays.
Nevertheless, it has lost some of its market share in more recent times to other popular Jamaica destinations like Negril and Ocho Rios developing faster and attracting younger crowds of visitors.
The TEF investment in the Montego Bay Civic Centre is expected to revitalise tourism in Montego Bay and boost revenues for the various stakeholders in the industry including the Montego Bay resorts, hotels, restaurants and craftsmen. Clyde Harrison, executive director at the Tourism Enhancement Fund stated, “the intervention could breathe new life into downtown Montego Bay and redound to the benefit of all stakeholders, including craft vendors, artisans, taxi operators and restaurants that have been clamouring for a greater share of the tourism pie”.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Montego Bay Browse all
Enjoy this affordable hotel with a fantastic location
- Two Children, 12 years of age and younger stay and eat free of charge
- Choose thrilling water sports while your kids enjoy the Children's activity centre
- Enjoy buffet or a la carte meals as part of the All Inclusive concept at five on-site restaurants
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Book and save over £500 per family with discounted rates for 2017 and 2018 and up to 2 Kids stay FREE
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
Located within 15 minutes from Sangster's International Airport and 5 minutes from three world-class golf courses
- A variety of water sports or leave your daily stress behind and relax with the magical spa services
- Luxury accommodations combined with breathtaking ocean views
- A wide selection of restaurants with international gourmet buffet, where you can enjoy a variety of cuisine from breakfast pastries to classic Jamaican fare
Enjoy a blissful escape to this amazing five star hotel offering endless privileges steps from the Caribbean Sea
- Stay at the unique beach front Zoetry Montego Bay with Endless Privileges
- If you wish to get out and about from the resort then there is a complimentary shuttle to the Rose Hall shopping Arcade
- All Suites include dedicated butler service. This personalized service is at no extra cost
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical gardens. The...
Are you searching for a serene, exotic retreat? Then why not head to Jamaica for a stay at the 4* SeaGarden Beach...
Found in the heart of Jamaica in Montego Bay and the popular "Hip Strip", Deja Resort is the best base for you to...