Jamaica holiday industry to invest $30 million in Montego Bay
Jamaica's Tourism Enhancement Fund, an agency of the Ministry of Tourism, has recently announced a $30 million investment in Montego Bay. A significant portion of the funds will be used to enable the repositioning of the Montego Bay Civic Centre as a multidimensional museum and cultural centre. Once a favourite for the travellers booking Jamaica holidays, Montego Bay has since lost rank to other key destinations like Negril, the TEF's investment may well be a turning point for the city.
Tourism officials in Jamaica have demonstrated their commitment to continuously improving the island’s tourism brand. The Tourism Enhancement Fund (TEF), an agency of the Ministry of Tourism and Entertainment, recently announced that it would be investing an impressive $30 million in the popular holiday resort of Montego Bay. The money will be used to revitalise the city centre with one of the first projects in the pipeline said to be a repositioning of the historic Montego Bay Civic Centre to a multi-dimensional museum and cultural centre.
One of the strategic goals of the TEF is to enhance the tourism experience for travellers on their holidays in Jamaica, as part of this strategy the TEF chairman, Senator Noel Sloley and Minister of Tourism Dr. Wykeham McNeill recognised the importance of providing a “major cultural attraction”. Situated at the very heart of the city, the Civic Centre is the ideal was first constructed in 1810 and has since been an integral part of the city’s rich heritage serving as the civic, commercial and political centre of the parish of St. James. With a growing interest in cultural Jamaica holidays, the Civic Centre can certainly prove to be a major tourist attraction and undoubtedly has the potential to give tourism in Montego Bay the boost that the TEF and the Ministry of Tourism envisage.
Planned upgrades to the Montego Bay Civic Centre include:
• State of the art lighting
• Research and Learning facilities
• Interactive audio Visuals
• Exhibition Cases
• Art Shows
• Dining Facilities
• An open courtyard
Once dubbed the “tourism capital” of Jamaica Montego Bay has long been a favourite for travellers booking Jamaica holidays.
Nevertheless, it has lost some of its market share in more recent times to other popular Jamaica destinations like Negril and Ocho Rios developing faster and attracting younger crowds of visitors.
The TEF investment in the Montego Bay Civic Centre is expected to revitalise tourism in Montego Bay and boost revenues for the various stakeholders in the industry including the Montego Bay resorts, hotels, restaurants and craftsmen. Clyde Harrison, executive director at the Tourism Enhancement Fund stated, “the intervention could breathe new life into downtown Montego Bay and redound to the benefit of all stakeholders, including craft vendors, artisans, taxi operators and restaurants that have been clamouring for a greater share of the tourism pie”.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Montego Bay Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- One child under 12 stays FREE and kids will enjoy access to the Explorer's Club - one of the largest supervised kids clubs in Montego Bay
- Resort is surrounded by Montego Bay Marine Park, Jamaica's first and fully underwater national park with protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Enjoy 24-hour access to food and beverage with a variety of buffet and a la carte restaurants plus 24-hour Room Service
Luxury accommodations with an ocean-front location on the edge of Montego Bay at hilton rose hall resort and spa
- Two children stay free on all-inclusive when sharing with parents
- Experience the most attractive water complex in the Caribbean with cascading waterfalls and 280 foot slide
- Play at the 18-hole golf course, which hosts LPGA events
Dip into the social buzz or the peaceful tranquility of this Sandals resort with a difference - an intimate beachside experience with personalised service
- Stay at one resort and play at three as part of Sandals' exchange programme
- Enjoy Unlimited Land and Water Sports including Scuba Diving
- Indugle from a choice of 14 dining options with the Sandals Dine Around Montego Bay
Stay in a modern hideaway that embraces the traditional Jamaican vibe with an added touch of sophistication.
- Situated within close proximity to the airport, the hotel is surrounded by a beautiful beach and magnificent gardens
- Entertainment options include professional shows, live music, a nightclub, various pools, a playground and a kids club
- Treat your taste buds to a variety of world cuisines and choose from 4 restaurants and 6 bars
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...