Tourism Minister expects to see 20 per cent increase in tourists taking Egypt Holidays in 2012
The number of travellers taking Egypt holidays and business trips this year is expected to increase by 20 per cent according to Egypt's Tourism Minister. Hisham Zaazou said that hotels in the country have seen strong occupancy rates during the first nine months of the year and Egypt is expecting to receive 11.5m to 12m tourists by the end of the year.
Hisham Zaazou, Egypt’s Tourism Minister recently revealed that the country is expecting to see a 20 per cent increase in the number of visitors this year.
The minister said that by the end of December, 2012, he expects more than 11 million tourists will have taken Egypt holidays.
Egypt hotels in popular holiday destinations such as Sharm el Sheikh and Cairo have recorded strong occupancy levels this year and during the first nine months of 2012, a total of 8.8 million travellers visited the country despite the recent political upheaval and civil unrest.
Every year, millions of holidaymakers go on holidays to Egypt to take cruises up the River Nile and visit ancient temples such as the Temple of Karnak, Luxor Temple, and Valley of the Kings. The famous historic pyramids can be found in Giza on the outskirts of Cairo, and the largest Egyptian pyramid is the Pyramid of Khufu.
As well as offering historic attractions, Egypt has a collection of fantastic locations for scuba diving holidays, and coastal resorts such as Sharm el Sheikh and Hurghada are becoming increasingly popular because of the wide choice of excellent diving sites and warm, crystal clear ocean waters and scuba divers and snorkellers can swim alongside an array of stunning marine life in the Red Sea.
In February 2011, Egypt suffered political unrest and violent protests as civilians fought to bring down President Hosni Mubarak. Before the protests, tourism provide more than a tenth of Egypt’s gross domestic product and this has been affected by the decline in tourists booking holidays in Egypt over the last year.
Last month, the tourism minister assured tourists who are booking an Egypt holiday this winter that tourism industry would not be affected by the nation’s new Islamic-led administration.
"Our desire to introduce additional products that would suit certain Arab and Islamic market segments ... will not happen at the cost of our mainstream business," he told Reuters in an interview.
Last month, Egypt’s Antiquities Minister, Muhammad Ibrahim, announced that as many as six ancient tombs at the Giza site and the Pyramid of Chefren will be reopened after a ten-year-long restoration project to encourage travellers to visit the country once again.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Have fun in the sun, dive in the underwater gardens of the Red Sea and enjoy a myriad of activities for the whole family
- Great family resort with plenty of activities
- Only 5 minutes away from Sharm El Sheikh International Airport
- Enjoy astonishing variety of fish and marine life of the Red Sea
Relax at Naama Bay with pleasant grounds and wonderful amenities to keep you occupied
- Visitors flock to Pirates, for an eveing drink, before or after sampling some wonderful cuisine in the array of restaurants
- Prime spot in Naama bay, as it was one of the first hotels in the area. The grounds are well tended and mature, with colourful plants and shrubs throughout
- Guest accommodation is discrete, with low rise bungalows dotted throughout the beautiful garden setting. Rooms and suites are light and airy, are tastefully furnished and come with all modern amenities
Ideal for those who love the sun and sea with its own private beach and marina, a professional diving centre, a water sports centre and swimming pools.
- A prime location, beside a lovely sandy beach, just minutes from buzz of downtown Hurghada
- Kids can enjoy their own kids' club and pool, whilst adults can play tennis, squash or beach volleyball
- Guests can unwind and enjoy the magnificent view from their private balcony
Splash in the Red Sea, marvel at the marine life and enjoy the luxuries at this all suite Red Sea Beach resort
- Enjoy pure luxury at this all suite resort
- Rejuvenate your body and relax your mind in the Beautifully appointed Oberoi Spa
- Voted the No. 1 hotel in Hurghada by Trip Advisor
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Venture into the land of the pyramids and Pharaohs for a holiday you'll never forget. Besides the incredible history of...
Luxor is one Egypt's most captivating cities, replete with historic monuments such as the ancient tombs of the Valley of...
Enjoy a week-long stay in the land of the pharaohs by the banks of the legendary River Nile. While in the city of Luxor...
Renaissance Golden View Beach Resort nestles into a dramatic headland overlooking the Ras Mohammed National Park. This...