Tourism Minister expects to see 20 per cent increase in tourists taking Egypt Holidays in 2012
The number of travellers taking Egypt holidays and business trips this year is expected to increase by 20 per cent according to Egypt's Tourism Minister. Hisham Zaazou said that hotels in the country have seen strong occupancy rates during the first nine months of the year and Egypt is expecting to receive 11.5m to 12m tourists by the end of the year.
Hisham Zaazou, Egypt’s Tourism Minister recently revealed that the country is expecting to see a 20 per cent increase in the number of visitors this year.
The minister said that by the end of December, 2012, he expects more than 11 million tourists will have taken Egypt holidays.
Egypt hotels in popular holiday destinations such as Sharm el Sheikh and Cairo have recorded strong occupancy levels this year and during the first nine months of 2012, a total of 8.8 million travellers visited the country despite the recent political upheaval and civil unrest.
Every year, millions of holidaymakers go on holidays to Egypt to take cruises up the River Nile and visit ancient temples such as the Temple of Karnak, Luxor Temple, and Valley of the Kings. The famous historic pyramids can be found in Giza on the outskirts of Cairo, and the largest Egyptian pyramid is the Pyramid of Khufu.
As well as offering historic attractions, Egypt has a collection of fantastic locations for scuba diving holidays, and coastal resorts such as Sharm el Sheikh and Hurghada are becoming increasingly popular because of the wide choice of excellent diving sites and warm, crystal clear ocean waters and scuba divers and snorkellers can swim alongside an array of stunning marine life in the Red Sea.
In February 2011, Egypt suffered political unrest and violent protests as civilians fought to bring down President Hosni Mubarak. Before the protests, tourism provide more than a tenth of Egypt’s gross domestic product and this has been affected by the decline in tourists booking holidays in Egypt over the last year.
Last month, the tourism minister assured tourists who are booking an Egypt holiday this winter that tourism industry would not be affected by the nation’s new Islamic-led administration.
"Our desire to introduce additional products that would suit certain Arab and Islamic market segments ... will not happen at the cost of our mainstream business," he told Reuters in an interview.
Last month, Egypt’s Antiquities Minister, Muhammad Ibrahim, announced that as many as six ancient tombs at the Giza site and the Pyramid of Chefren will be reopened after a ten-year-long restoration project to encourage travellers to visit the country once again.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Explore the historical surroundings and have a comfortable stay at Mercure Cairo le Sphinx
- Only 35 kilometres from Cairo's international airport
- Guests can enjoy the swimming pool or benefit from the Jacuzzi and all massage treatments the hotel offers
- Rooftop terrace with a memorable breathtaking views of the pyramids
Cruise on the world's longest river with 7000 years of history while enjoying 21st century comfort on the cruise liner featuring superb amenities.
- Enjoy nightly entertainment at the Lounge with its resident DJ, drinks and dancing.
- The Cruise allows you to discover the stunning sights and attractions of the River Nile in comfort.
- The hotel ship offers a comprehensive program of sightseeing which is accompanied by an expert guide.
This modern resort offers an ideal location for a family friendly stay close to beautiful sandy beaches
- Just 10 minutes by bus from a lovely stretch of some of the finest sandy beaches
- Dive deep into clear waters of the Red Sea to enjoy colourful coral reefs and explore a variety of fish and marine life
- Sol y Mar Sharks Bay offers a variety of restaurants, a lobby bar & terrace, an Internet cafe and a shuttle bus to the nearby beach
Enjoy a memorable and romantic holiday in Egypt
- Benefit from the Sonesta Star Goddess Spa and enjoy a relaxing massage after a busy day of excursions
- Suites made for your comfortable stay with the best view
- Enjoy the swimming pool or relax on the sun deck where you can have a cocktail
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Venture into the land of the pyramids and Pharaohs for a holiday you'll never forget. Besides the incredible history of...
Enjoy a week-long stay in the land of the pharaohs by the banks of the legendary River Nile. While in the city of Luxor...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
Seize this opportunity to explore the mystical land of Egypt as you spend a week next to the shores of the mighty Red...