Tourism Minister expects to see 20 per cent increase in tourists taking Egypt Holidays in 2012
The number of travellers taking Egypt holidays and business trips this year is expected to increase by 20 per cent according to Egypt's Tourism Minister. Hisham Zaazou said that hotels in the country have seen strong occupancy rates during the first nine months of the year and Egypt is expecting to receive 11.5m to 12m tourists by the end of the year.
Hisham Zaazou, Egypt’s Tourism Minister recently revealed that the country is expecting to see a 20 per cent increase in the number of visitors this year.
The minister said that by the end of December, 2012, he expects more than 11 million tourists will have taken Egypt holidays.
Egypt hotels in popular holiday destinations such as Sharm el Sheikh and Cairo have recorded strong occupancy levels this year and during the first nine months of 2012, a total of 8.8 million travellers visited the country despite the recent political upheaval and civil unrest.
Every year, millions of holidaymakers go on holidays to Egypt to take cruises up the River Nile and visit ancient temples such as the Temple of Karnak, Luxor Temple, and Valley of the Kings. The famous historic pyramids can be found in Giza on the outskirts of Cairo, and the largest Egyptian pyramid is the Pyramid of Khufu.
As well as offering historic attractions, Egypt has a collection of fantastic locations for scuba diving holidays, and coastal resorts such as Sharm el Sheikh and Hurghada are becoming increasingly popular because of the wide choice of excellent diving sites and warm, crystal clear ocean waters and scuba divers and snorkellers can swim alongside an array of stunning marine life in the Red Sea.
In February 2011, Egypt suffered political unrest and violent protests as civilians fought to bring down President Hosni Mubarak. Before the protests, tourism provide more than a tenth of Egypt’s gross domestic product and this has been affected by the decline in tourists booking holidays in Egypt over the last year.
Last month, the tourism minister assured tourists who are booking an Egypt holiday this winter that tourism industry would not be affected by the nation’s new Islamic-led administration.
"Our desire to introduce additional products that would suit certain Arab and Islamic market segments ... will not happen at the cost of our mainstream business," he told Reuters in an interview.
Last month, Egypt’s Antiquities Minister, Muhammad Ibrahim, announced that as many as six ancient tombs at the Giza site and the Pyramid of Chefren will be reopened after a ten-year-long restoration project to encourage travellers to visit the country once again.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Explore the historical surroundings and have a comfortable stay at Mercure Cairo le Sphinx
- Only 35 kilometres from Cairo's international airport
- Guests can enjoy the swimming pool or benefit from the Jacuzzi and all massage treatments the hotel offers
- Rooftop terrace with a memorable breathtaking views of the pyramids
Experience the golden Sandy beaches of the beautiful Red Sea, the action in Soho Square and Na'ama Bay and a resort that has it all - Sierra Sharm el Sheikt awaits
- Enjoy elegant views of either the pool or gardens from your own private balcony/terrace
- Enjoy access to the Sierra's Wellness Centre & Aqua Spa, where you can enjoy a massage parlour, sauna & steam room
- Enjoy a variety of cuisines from a number of restaurants at the hotel - including Italian, freshly caught seafood & much more
This modern resort offers an ideal location for a family friendly stay close to beautiful sandy beaches
- Just 10 minutes by bus from a lovely stretch of some of the finest sandy beaches
- Dive deep into clear waters of the Red Sea to enjoy colourful coral reefs and explore a variety of fish and marine life
- Sol y Mar Sharks Bay offers a variety of restaurants, a lobby bar & terrace, an Internet cafe and a shuttle bus to the nearby beach
With access to a private beach and every facility imaginable on site it's no wonder guests return to Hilton Sharks bay - it's a perfect for the whole family
- Relax and unwind with a massage or jacuzzi in the health club
- Enjoy a number of dining options including Il Rustico Restaurant - where you can enjoy barbeques on the terrace
- Enjoy the evenings with the nightly entertainment programme
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
The Red Sea resort town of Sharm El Sheikh is known for its wonderful beaches; take six days to enjoy the best of this...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
The popularity of the city of Luxor as one of the treasure troves of historical ruins in Egypt is well known. Grab this...
Sharm El Sheikh, a resort town sitting on Egypt's Red Sea shores, is one of the country's top tourist destinations. Find...