Virgin Atlantic to offer flights to India once again after £300 million investment
After a long 4-year absence from the India travel market, Virgin Atlantic is jumping in the Indian bandwagon again by announcing a considerable investment in the creation of new direct flights to India. The new flights will not only be sending thousands of travellers to coveted and exotic India holidays but will also be transporting a large number of business travellers as the Asian giant's booming economy continues to grow.
Following a 4-year absence from the ever-growing India holiday market, Virgin Atlantic will soon be ready to start flying its British passengers to the exotic Asian destination once again with the creation of new routes from London Heathrow to Mumbai and Delhi.
After the confirmation of a multi-millionaire £300 million investment, Virgin Atlantic has committed itself to a programme of new direct flights to India which will also see the creation of 140 new jobs in India and the UK.
The re-launching of Virgin’s flights to Mumbai after their four-year-long absence will double the capacity to India for Sir Richard Branson’s prestigious airline, offering British passengers better serviced routes when planning India holidays. The new routes to Mumbai and Delhi will offer daily services for both destinations.
The planned addition of Virgin Atlantic’s new flights to India comes after the launch of two brand new A330 aircraft with the latest Upper Class service on routes from London Heathrow to both Delhi and Mumbai, which represents a record product investment in the region for the airline.
With over 1 million people flying between the UK and Mumbai each year, made up partly of the large Indian community living in the UK and visiting their relatives abroad and partly of the many business travellers between both countries as the Indian economy expands and booms, as well as the appeal of India holidays for British travellers, Virgin Atlantic is confident that starting to service India again is a smart move, with the market of India travel increasing by 10 per cent in the last two years alone.
This, in addition to the fact that India’s burgeoning economy remains one of the fastest-growing in the world, contributes to Virgin Atlantic’s high hopes and expectations for passenger numbers to India continuing to rise.
“We are delighted to be back in this amazing city after four years,” – President of Virgin Atlantic, Richard Branson said of the re-launch of India flights. “The importance of strengthening the connections between the economies of New York, London and Mumbai cannot be emphasised enough – our daily connecting service from Mumbai all the way to New York will be a winner for businesses across all three continents.” – he continued.
“Given the importance of both of our Indian markets we are introducing our newest aircraft on flights to both Mumbai and Delhi which represents hundreds of millions of pounds of investment and will create many new jobs.” – he added on a final note.
This recent investment from Virgin Atlantic in the re-establishment of flights to India reflects the importance of India’s growing economy today.
It is predicted that after a double digit rise in India’s GDP in 2010, the economy will grow a further seven per cent for each of the next five years.
Furthermore, the UK Government has confirmed that it wants to double its trade links with India by 2015 and this also supports Virgin's recent move.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal in Agra, experience a feast to remember with a traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide will take you around the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
- Book before 31st January 2017 and get an exclusive complimentary upgrade to Half Board
Discover Be Live Collection Punta Cana's pristine white beaches, swaying palms and pulsating Latin vibe
Enjoy a fabulous holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana where you'll find endless fun as well as plenty of relaxing options
- Enjoy 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a fantastic beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- Great facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of...
A charming little retreat right at the heart of Tunis, Le Pacha is centrally located to give you easy access to all of...