Virgin Atlantic to offer flights to India once again after £300 million investment
After a long 4-year absence from the India travel market, Virgin Atlantic is jumping in the Indian bandwagon again by announcing a considerable investment in the creation of new direct flights to India. The new flights will not only be sending thousands of travellers to coveted and exotic India holidays but will also be transporting a large number of business travellers as the Asian giant's booming economy continues to grow.
Following a 4-year absence from the ever-growing India holiday market, Virgin Atlantic will soon be ready to start flying its British passengers to the exotic Asian destination once again with the creation of new routes from London Heathrow to Mumbai and Delhi.
After the confirmation of a multi-millionaire £300 million investment, Virgin Atlantic has committed itself to a programme of new direct flights to India which will also see the creation of 140 new jobs in India and the UK.
The re-launching of Virgin’s flights to Mumbai after their four-year-long absence will double the capacity to India for Sir Richard Branson’s prestigious airline, offering British passengers better serviced routes when planning India holidays. The new routes to Mumbai and Delhi will offer daily services for both destinations.
The planned addition of Virgin Atlantic’s new flights to India comes after the launch of two brand new A330 aircraft with the latest Upper Class service on routes from London Heathrow to both Delhi and Mumbai, which represents a record product investment in the region for the airline.
With over 1 million people flying between the UK and Mumbai each year, made up partly of the large Indian community living in the UK and visiting their relatives abroad and partly of the many business travellers between both countries as the Indian economy expands and booms, as well as the appeal of India holidays for British travellers, Virgin Atlantic is confident that starting to service India again is a smart move, with the market of India travel increasing by 10 per cent in the last two years alone.
This, in addition to the fact that India’s burgeoning economy remains one of the fastest-growing in the world, contributes to Virgin Atlantic’s high hopes and expectations for passenger numbers to India continuing to rise.
“We are delighted to be back in this amazing city after four years,” – President of Virgin Atlantic, Richard Branson said of the re-launch of India flights. “The importance of strengthening the connections between the economies of New York, London and Mumbai cannot be emphasised enough – our daily connecting service from Mumbai all the way to New York will be a winner for businesses across all three continents.” – he continued.
“Given the importance of both of our Indian markets we are introducing our newest aircraft on flights to both Mumbai and Delhi which represents hundreds of millions of pounds of investment and will create many new jobs.” – he added on a final note.
This recent investment from Virgin Atlantic in the re-establishment of flights to India reflects the importance of India’s growing economy today.
It is predicted that after a double digit rise in India’s GDP in 2010, the economy will grow a further seven per cent for each of the next five years.
Furthermore, the UK Government has confirmed that it wants to double its trade links with India by 2015 and this also supports Virgin's recent move.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Make your trip to Phuket one to remember at romantic and secluded Rawai beach
- Perfect for families or couples searching for their own slice of paradise
- Free shuttle services to Ya Nui beach, Nai Harn beach and Kata beach
- Free upgrade to Deluxe Pool View
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Incredible January exclusive - Receive a free upgrade to the next room type when booking with The Holiday Place
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
A warm welcome awaits you behind the striking geometric façade of Holiday Inn Express Dubai-Jumeirah, 20 minutes by taxi...
Experience luxurious accommodations, modern business and leisure amenities and an ideal location in the heart of Abu...