Number of tourists taking Bahamas holidays expected to reach 5.7 Million in 2012
The Bahamas Ministry of Tourism has announced that the number of tourists taking Bahamas holidays during 2012 is expected to increase by six or seven per cent compared to visitors arrivals in 2011. A representative from the ministry said that the Caribbean island nation could receive as many as 5.7 million holidaymakers in 2012.
Visitor arrivals in the Bahamas are expected to increase by six or seven per cent compared to figures in 2011, according to the Bahamas Ministry of Tourism.
The Senior Director of Research and Statistics at the Bahamas Ministry of Tourism, Gary Young, told the local press that the number of tourists taking Bahamas holidays during September and October, the slowest months of the year, has exceeded expectations and the nation could record 5.7 million visitors in 2012.
“We’ll be over 5 million visitors, no problem,” Mr Young commented. “We’ll be probably somewhere around 5.6 million to 5.7 million at least, possibly higher. It depends on what happens with the cruise side.”
In the months between January and July, 2012, the number of holidaymakers who took holidays to the Bahamas totalled 3.67 million which was an 8.1 per cent increase compared to the same period in 2011. The number of both land-based and cruise ship visitors also increased by eight per cent this year.
Despite the rise in the number of tourists, Bahamas hotels have not been able to return their room rates to pre-recession levels.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
The Bahamas is an island nation archipelago situated in the Atlantic Ocean north of Cuba. Grand Bahama, the main island, boasts beautiful pink sand beaches that get their colour from fractured seashell mixed with sand. The Caribbean island boasts an array of attractions including an underwater limestone cave system, tropical botanical gardens, and national parks that are full of wildlife and provide a tranquil setting for relaxing holidays in the Bahamas.
Nassau Paradise Island sits just off the shores of Nassau city on the island of New Providence and is home to luxurious hotels and resorts in the Bahamas, upscale boutiques, casinos, nightclubs. The island of New Providence is also home to all of this and more including the capital city Nassau which offers art galleries, world-class shopping, museums, lighthouses, and historic monuments.
During their visit, holidaymakers can enjoy activities such as scuba diving and snorkelling, treks through the thriving national parks, dolphin-watching excursions, tours of historic sites such as the Pompey Museum of Slavery and Emancipation, plus several watersports including fishing, sailing, kayaking and windsurfing.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 18th Oct
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...