Number of tourists taking Bahamas holidays expected to reach 5.7 Million in 2012
The Bahamas Ministry of Tourism has announced that the number of tourists taking Bahamas holidays during 2012 is expected to increase by six or seven per cent compared to visitors arrivals in 2011. A representative from the ministry said that the Caribbean island nation could receive as many as 5.7 million holidaymakers in 2012.
Visitor arrivals in the Bahamas are expected to increase by six or seven per cent compared to figures in 2011, according to the Bahamas Ministry of Tourism.
The Senior Director of Research and Statistics at the Bahamas Ministry of Tourism, Gary Young, told the local press that the number of tourists taking Bahamas holidays during September and October, the slowest months of the year, has exceeded expectations and the nation could record 5.7 million visitors in 2012.
“We’ll be over 5 million visitors, no problem,” Mr Young commented. “We’ll be probably somewhere around 5.6 million to 5.7 million at least, possibly higher. It depends on what happens with the cruise side.”
In the months between January and July, 2012, the number of holidaymakers who took holidays to the Bahamas totalled 3.67 million which was an 8.1 per cent increase compared to the same period in 2011. The number of both land-based and cruise ship visitors also increased by eight per cent this year.
Despite the rise in the number of tourists, Bahamas hotels have not been able to return their room rates to pre-recession levels.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
The Bahamas is an island nation archipelago situated in the Atlantic Ocean north of Cuba. Grand Bahama, the main island, boasts beautiful pink sand beaches that get their colour from fractured seashell mixed with sand. The Caribbean island boasts an array of attractions including an underwater limestone cave system, tropical botanical gardens, and national parks that are full of wildlife and provide a tranquil setting for relaxing holidays in the Bahamas.
Nassau Paradise Island sits just off the shores of Nassau city on the island of New Providence and is home to luxurious hotels and resorts in the Bahamas, upscale boutiques, casinos, nightclubs. The island of New Providence is also home to all of this and more including the capital city Nassau which offers art galleries, world-class shopping, museums, lighthouses, and historic monuments.
During their visit, holidaymakers can enjoy activities such as scuba diving and snorkelling, treks through the thriving national parks, dolphin-watching excursions, tours of historic sites such as the Pompey Museum of Slavery and Emancipation, plus several watersports including fishing, sailing, kayaking and windsurfing.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay at the delightful Club Amigo Aguas Azules Bungalows in picturesque Varadero
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Idyllic beachfront location on a streach of virgin beach in Varadero
- Celebrate with a Caribbean holiday of a lifetime and see in 2017 with the festive Gala dinners included in this offer!
- All inclusive at Club Amigo Aguas Azules features a buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants and a choice of 4 bars (Local Sprits, Wine, beer & soft drinks served)
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...