Number of tourists taking Bahamas holidays expected to reach 5.7 Million in 2012
The Bahamas Ministry of Tourism has announced that the number of tourists taking Bahamas holidays during 2012 is expected to increase by six or seven per cent compared to visitors arrivals in 2011. A representative from the ministry said that the Caribbean island nation could receive as many as 5.7 million holidaymakers in 2012.
Visitor arrivals in the Bahamas are expected to increase by six or seven per cent compared to figures in 2011, according to the Bahamas Ministry of Tourism.
The Senior Director of Research and Statistics at the Bahamas Ministry of Tourism, Gary Young, told the local press that the number of tourists taking Bahamas holidays during September and October, the slowest months of the year, has exceeded expectations and the nation could record 5.7 million visitors in 2012.
“We’ll be over 5 million visitors, no problem,” Mr Young commented. “We’ll be probably somewhere around 5.6 million to 5.7 million at least, possibly higher. It depends on what happens with the cruise side.”
In the months between January and July, 2012, the number of holidaymakers who took holidays to the Bahamas totalled 3.67 million which was an 8.1 per cent increase compared to the same period in 2011. The number of both land-based and cruise ship visitors also increased by eight per cent this year.
Despite the rise in the number of tourists, Bahamas hotels have not been able to return their room rates to pre-recession levels.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
The Bahamas is an island nation archipelago situated in the Atlantic Ocean north of Cuba. Grand Bahama, the main island, boasts beautiful pink sand beaches that get their colour from fractured seashell mixed with sand. The Caribbean island boasts an array of attractions including an underwater limestone cave system, tropical botanical gardens, and national parks that are full of wildlife and provide a tranquil setting for relaxing holidays in the Bahamas.
Nassau Paradise Island sits just off the shores of Nassau city on the island of New Providence and is home to luxurious hotels and resorts in the Bahamas, upscale boutiques, casinos, nightclubs. The island of New Providence is also home to all of this and more including the capital city Nassau which offers art galleries, world-class shopping, museums, lighthouses, and historic monuments.
During their visit, holidaymakers can enjoy activities such as scuba diving and snorkelling, treks through the thriving national parks, dolphin-watching excursions, tours of historic sites such as the Pompey Museum of Slavery and Emancipation, plus several watersports including fishing, sailing, kayaking and windsurfing.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...