Number of tourists taking Bahamas holidays expected to reach 5.7 Million in 2012
The Bahamas Ministry of Tourism has announced that the number of tourists taking Bahamas holidays during 2012 is expected to increase by six or seven per cent compared to visitors arrivals in 2011. A representative from the ministry said that the Caribbean island nation could receive as many as 5.7 million holidaymakers in 2012.
Visitor arrivals in the Bahamas are expected to increase by six or seven per cent compared to figures in 2011, according to the Bahamas Ministry of Tourism.
The Senior Director of Research and Statistics at the Bahamas Ministry of Tourism, Gary Young, told the local press that the number of tourists taking Bahamas holidays during September and October, the slowest months of the year, has exceeded expectations and the nation could record 5.7 million visitors in 2012.
“We’ll be over 5 million visitors, no problem,” Mr Young commented. “We’ll be probably somewhere around 5.6 million to 5.7 million at least, possibly higher. It depends on what happens with the cruise side.”
In the months between January and July, 2012, the number of holidaymakers who took holidays to the Bahamas totalled 3.67 million which was an 8.1 per cent increase compared to the same period in 2011. The number of both land-based and cruise ship visitors also increased by eight per cent this year.
Despite the rise in the number of tourists, Bahamas hotels have not been able to return their room rates to pre-recession levels.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
The Bahamas is an island nation archipelago situated in the Atlantic Ocean north of Cuba. Grand Bahama, the main island, boasts beautiful pink sand beaches that get their colour from fractured seashell mixed with sand. The Caribbean island boasts an array of attractions including an underwater limestone cave system, tropical botanical gardens, and national parks that are full of wildlife and provide a tranquil setting for relaxing holidays in the Bahamas.
Nassau Paradise Island sits just off the shores of Nassau city on the island of New Providence and is home to luxurious hotels and resorts in the Bahamas, upscale boutiques, casinos, nightclubs. The island of New Providence is also home to all of this and more including the capital city Nassau which offers art galleries, world-class shopping, museums, lighthouses, and historic monuments.
During their visit, holidaymakers can enjoy activities such as scuba diving and snorkelling, treks through the thriving national parks, dolphin-watching excursions, tours of historic sites such as the Pompey Museum of Slavery and Emancipation, plus several watersports including fishing, sailing, kayaking and windsurfing.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...