Tourism Secretary reveals big boost in the popularity of Mexico holidays among worldwide travellers
Figures coming out of Mexico suggest that travellers are booking Mexico holidays now more than ever. Gloria Guevara, Mexico's secretary of tourism recently unveiled the government's sixth official report on the tourism industry. The report noted a particularly strong year for the industry in 2011 with a record breaking 23.4 million international air arrivals. Similarly, private and public sector investment in the tourism industry were said to have increased considerably in the last six years.
Mexico’s secretary of tourism, Gloria Guevara, recently released Mexico’s sixth official government report on tourism. These latest figures suggest that tourism officials in Mexico have a lot to celebrate with travellers from all over the world booking more holidays in Mexico than ever. Ms Guevara pointed out that 2011 was the strongest year on record for tourism with 23.4 million international air arrivals. Similarly, the report also noted an impressive increase in the number of domestic and foreign visitors with a jump from 162 million to 191.5 million in the period between 2006 and 2011.
The report suggested that the healthy figures were owed in part to a 53 per cent increase investments in the Mexico holiday industry over the past six years with private sector investments improving from $12,833,000,000 pesos to $20,200,000,000 pesos in 2012.
Meanwhile, under the Calderon administration public sector investment improved by 582 per cent when compared to the levels achieved by the administration of President Ernesto Zedillo and by 147 per cent over the levels achieved by President Vicente Fox.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Additionally, many might consider the remarkable growth in Mexico’s tourism industry to be a testament to the ever increasing popularity of Cancun holidays with the vibrant beach resort considered to be one of the top beach holiday destinations in Mexico. Whatever the reason, these recent figures would serve as an image boost for a nation plagued by concerns over potential safety risks for travellers enjoying their holidays in Mexico in light of the outbreaks of drug related violence in the past year.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
With tourism said to contribute to over nine per cent of Mexico’s gross domestic product, the industry is understandably high on the government agenda. Ms Guevera indicated five areas on which her ministry will focus as the nation seeks to build on the current momentum. The focal points identified include domestic tourism growth, public tourism investment, private tourism investment, market diversification and international tourism growth. As part of its international growth strategy, Guevera noted in her report that the country aimed to reduce its dependence on the US market with efforts being made to attract holidaymakers from other key source markets such as Brazil, China, Russia, Canada and Korea.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- The proximity to the "best-preserved Mayan ruins in the Western Hemisphere"
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Cancun is one of the most sought-after beachside resorts in the world. Make this your next holiday destination and revel...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Enjoy the best of Cancun in an eight-day retreat that will both relax and energise you completely. Your home for your...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....
Immerse yourself in eight divine days of delight at the Occidental Cozumel in Playa San Francisco. Sit back and relax in...