Tourism Secretary reveals big boost in the popularity of Mexico holidays among worldwide travellers
Figures coming out of Mexico suggest that travellers are booking Mexico holidays now more than ever. Gloria Guevara, Mexico's secretary of tourism recently unveiled the government's sixth official report on the tourism industry. The report noted a particularly strong year for the industry in 2011 with a record breaking 23.4 million international air arrivals. Similarly, private and public sector investment in the tourism industry were said to have increased considerably in the last six years.
Mexico’s secretary of tourism, Gloria Guevara, recently released Mexico’s sixth official government report on tourism. These latest figures suggest that tourism officials in Mexico have a lot to celebrate with travellers from all over the world booking more holidays in Mexico than ever. Ms Guevara pointed out that 2011 was the strongest year on record for tourism with 23.4 million international air arrivals. Similarly, the report also noted an impressive increase in the number of domestic and foreign visitors with a jump from 162 million to 191.5 million in the period between 2006 and 2011.
The report suggested that the healthy figures were owed in part to a 53 per cent increase investments in the Mexico holiday industry over the past six years with private sector investments improving from $12,833,000,000 pesos to $20,200,000,000 pesos in 2012.
Meanwhile, under the Calderon administration public sector investment improved by 582 per cent when compared to the levels achieved by the administration of President Ernesto Zedillo and by 147 per cent over the levels achieved by President Vicente Fox.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Additionally, many might consider the remarkable growth in Mexico’s tourism industry to be a testament to the ever increasing popularity of Cancun holidays with the vibrant beach resort considered to be one of the top beach holiday destinations in Mexico. Whatever the reason, these recent figures would serve as an image boost for a nation plagued by concerns over potential safety risks for travellers enjoying their holidays in Mexico in light of the outbreaks of drug related violence in the past year.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
With tourism said to contribute to over nine per cent of Mexico’s gross domestic product, the industry is understandably high on the government agenda. Ms Guevera indicated five areas on which her ministry will focus as the nation seeks to build on the current momentum. The focal points identified include domestic tourism growth, public tourism investment, private tourism investment, market diversification and international tourism growth. As part of its international growth strategy, Guevera noted in her report that the country aimed to reduce its dependence on the US market with efforts being made to attract holidaymakers from other key source markets such as Brazil, China, Russia, Canada and Korea.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Travel from May onwards and enjoy a fantastic upgrade to a Preferred Club Junior Suite Pool View
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...