Tourism Secretary reveals big boost in the popularity of Mexico holidays among worldwide travellers
Figures coming out of Mexico suggest that travellers are booking Mexico holidays now more than ever. Gloria Guevara, Mexico's secretary of tourism recently unveiled the government's sixth official report on the tourism industry. The report noted a particularly strong year for the industry in 2011 with a record breaking 23.4 million international air arrivals. Similarly, private and public sector investment in the tourism industry were said to have increased considerably in the last six years.
Mexico’s secretary of tourism, Gloria Guevara, recently released Mexico’s sixth official government report on tourism. These latest figures suggest that tourism officials in Mexico have a lot to celebrate with travellers from all over the world booking more holidays in Mexico than ever. Ms Guevara pointed out that 2011 was the strongest year on record for tourism with 23.4 million international air arrivals. Similarly, the report also noted an impressive increase in the number of domestic and foreign visitors with a jump from 162 million to 191.5 million in the period between 2006 and 2011.
The report suggested that the healthy figures were owed in part to a 53 per cent increase investments in the Mexico holiday industry over the past six years with private sector investments improving from $12,833,000,000 pesos to $20,200,000,000 pesos in 2012.
Meanwhile, under the Calderon administration public sector investment improved by 582 per cent when compared to the levels achieved by the administration of President Ernesto Zedillo and by 147 per cent over the levels achieved by President Vicente Fox.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Additionally, many might consider the remarkable growth in Mexico’s tourism industry to be a testament to the ever increasing popularity of Cancun holidays with the vibrant beach resort considered to be one of the top beach holiday destinations in Mexico. Whatever the reason, these recent figures would serve as an image boost for a nation plagued by concerns over potential safety risks for travellers enjoying their holidays in Mexico in light of the outbreaks of drug related violence in the past year.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
With tourism said to contribute to over nine per cent of Mexico’s gross domestic product, the industry is understandably high on the government agenda. Ms Guevera indicated five areas on which her ministry will focus as the nation seeks to build on the current momentum. The focal points identified include domestic tourism growth, public tourism investment, private tourism investment, market diversification and international tourism growth. As part of its international growth strategy, Guevera noted in her report that the country aimed to reduce its dependence on the US market with efforts being made to attract holidaymakers from other key source markets such as Brazil, China, Russia, Canada and Korea.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
Enjoy exclusive privileges on tap as part of the resort's signature Unlimited-Luxury all-inclusive concept.
- Retreat to one of the Mexican Caribbean's most coveted and secluded beach hideaways
- Something to keep everyone entertained at this fantastic family friendly resort
- Outdoor pool theater for shows and theme dinners
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
A picturesque city on Mexico's Caribbean Sea coastline, Playa del Carmen is the perfect getaway for both families and...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...