Cuba gears up for next Jardines del Rey fishing tournament in October
For sport fishing fans and amateurs alike, Cuba's forthcoming fishing tournament in Jardines del Rey will present them with a fantastic opportunity to enjoy Cuba holidays while participating at the third edition of the Big Game Trolling fishing competition, which this year will be taking place in Cayo Guillermo's International Marlin Marina.
The third annual edition of the “Big Game Trolling” fishing tournament in the environmentally protected Jardines del Rey archipelago will soon be taking place next month from 15th to 20th October in the crystalline waters of Cayo Guillermo, a pristine key located in Cuba’s Ciego de Avila province. The competition will be staged at the Cayo Guillermo International Marlin Marina.
Everyone is invited to participate in the annual tournament; amateur fishermen, anglers, fans of sport fishing or spectators enjoying holidays in Cuba at the time of the event are all welcome, whether they are club members or not. Foreign fishing federations that wish to learn more about Cuba’s ocean waters and its inhabiting species are also invited.
This year’s event, according to sources from Cuba’s Ministry of Tourism, seeks to develop the island’s local fishing potential while helping develop other fishing-related activities and water sports.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Those wishing to compete or planning to attend the tournament as part of their Cuba holidays in Jardines del Rey should book their entry in advance as spaces are limited. For participants the registration fee is 350 CUC (approximately £220) per crew of one to four fishermen. For the first fisherman the fee is 100 CUC, while the total for renting a boat for the entire duration of the whole fishing tournament (four days and a half) costs 1,800 CUC.
At the moment various planners, workers and managers are hard at work in preparation for the event, speeding up conditions for the tournament, which will be subject to the rules of the International Association of Sports Fishing using the tag-and-release method.
Winners of the event will win prizes in three different categories, according to the total of points accumulated with the first prize being awarded to the team or individual that catches the largest marlin.
Image by: solmeliacuba, on Flickr
Each member of the jury will have a nautical chart or map of the fishing area which will be used to represent the catch. The area of the tournament will comprise up to 3 miles north and north-east of Cayo Coco and Cayo Guillermo, in the Old Bahama Channel.
The full schedule will consist of registration, captain meeting and welcome reception. There will be three full days of fishing with a day off after the second full day. The awards ceremony and farewell party will wrap up the tournament. For event participants single and double rooms will be available at preferential prices at the Sol Melia Cayo Guillermo hotel in Jardines del Rey.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...