British travellers going for luxury holidays in exotic destinations
British holidaymakers are setting a new trend for the luxury holidays market even despite the fact that the economic downturn hasn't fully recovered. Nevertheless it seems that some long-haul destinations in the Caribbean are enjoying the most traffic from British tourists as travel agents reveal an increase in bookings for holidays to Cuba and luxury breaks in Cancun, Mexico.
Despite the global financial downturn and the economic woes still affecting many families, couples and enthusiastic globetrotters, luxury holidays have been gaining popularity among British travellers, even when the expected trend would be to go for cheaper, short-haul destinations closer to the UK or in the UK.
A recent report published by Thomas Cook Group revealed an increase in the amount of British travellers opting for luxury holidays in long-haul destinations, ranging from all inclusive holidays in the Caribbean to adventure holidays and trips to exotic faraway destinations.
As a matter of fact, it has been revealed that both the luxury and budget holiday markets have seen the highest growth in the UK holiday industry with many families reportedly saving all throughout the year to then be able to splurge on long luxury breaks across the world.
Some of the most popular destinations Brits are going for include exotic Cuba and trendy Cancun in Mexico, with holidays to Cuba setting the latest trend for many holidaymakers in the UK and luxury breaks in Mexico being the number one option for couples in search of romance and pampering.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
The Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA), a UK-based association of travel agents, had estimated earlier this year that around 13 million UK holidaymakers would be taking a long distance holiday abroad in July and August 2012, with 90 per cent of these travellers heading to countries around the Mediterranean Sea, such as Spain. But whereas holidays to Europe continue to be very popular among Brits, the luxury travel trend emerging has meant that many have also opted for indulging holidays in Cancun's many spa resorts or in the famed and mystical Riviera Maya region.
Head of communication at ABTA, Victoria Bacon said, “The UK is a beautiful country with exceptional holiday appeal but the weather this year has been setting records for all the wrong reasons and it is no surprise that millions of us are looking to head off overseas for more reliable weather and high temperatures.”
British holidaymakers will also get a pleasant surprise in their favourite Eurozone destinations with the pound 10% stronger than last year. It’s important that people book sooner rather than later as late offers are proving popular.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Under 17's Stay, Play and Eat free at this magnificent resort sure to make for a holiday of a lifetime
- Enjoy fantastic access to the newly opening Grand Section which includes ten new restaurants and 6 bars, a waterpark, a new spa with 64 treatment rooms, a theatre and a bowling alley, plus another Playroom Kids’ club and Wired Teens lounge worth $1400
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...