British travellers going for luxury holidays in exotic destinations
British holidaymakers are setting a new trend for the luxury holidays market even despite the fact that the economic downturn hasn't fully recovered. Nevertheless it seems that some long-haul destinations in the Caribbean are enjoying the most traffic from British tourists as travel agents reveal an increase in bookings for holidays to Cuba and luxury breaks in Cancun, Mexico.
Despite the global financial downturn and the economic woes still affecting many families, couples and enthusiastic globetrotters, luxury holidays have been gaining popularity among British travellers, even when the expected trend would be to go for cheaper, short-haul destinations closer to the UK or in the UK.
A recent report published by Thomas Cook Group revealed an increase in the amount of British travellers opting for luxury holidays in long-haul destinations, ranging from all inclusive holidays in the Caribbean to adventure holidays and trips to exotic faraway destinations.
As a matter of fact, it has been revealed that both the luxury and budget holiday markets have seen the highest growth in the UK holiday industry with many families reportedly saving all throughout the year to then be able to splurge on long luxury breaks across the world.
Some of the most popular destinations Brits are going for include exotic Cuba and trendy Cancun in Mexico, with holidays to Cuba setting the latest trend for many holidaymakers in the UK and luxury breaks in Mexico being the number one option for couples in search of romance and pampering.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
The Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA), a UK-based association of travel agents, had estimated earlier this year that around 13 million UK holidaymakers would be taking a long distance holiday abroad in July and August 2012, with 90 per cent of these travellers heading to countries around the Mediterranean Sea, such as Spain. But whereas holidays to Europe continue to be very popular among Brits, the luxury travel trend emerging has meant that many have also opted for indulging holidays in Cancun's many spa resorts or in the famed and mystical Riviera Maya region.
Head of communication at ABTA, Victoria Bacon said, “The UK is a beautiful country with exceptional holiday appeal but the weather this year has been setting records for all the wrong reasons and it is no surprise that millions of us are looking to head off overseas for more reliable weather and high temperatures.”
British holidaymakers will also get a pleasant surprise in their favourite Eurozone destinations with the pound 10% stronger than last year. It’s important that people book sooner rather than later as late offers are proving popular.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...