Seychelles government promotes eco-friendly Seychelles holidays
The Seychelles Minister of Tourism has recently highlighted the work that the Seychelles President Mr James Michel along with various other government ministries have put into developing and promoting eco-friendly Seychelles holidays. Recent efforts include incentives for the inhabitants of the island of La Digue to purchase eco friendly vehicles in order to reduce the number of petrol fuelled operating on the island.
With a growing importance placed on green issues in all corners of the globe, the Seychelles government and tourism officials are keen to highlight that theirs is a destination committed to meeting the demand for green holidays in the Seychelles and reducing the impact of the tourism industry on the local environment. Seychelles’ Tourism Minister Alain St. Ange recently highlighted the work and the commitment of the Seychelles government to developing and promoting eco-friendly Seychelles holidays.
“The Seychelles government wants the islands to not only retain the spectacular natural beauty it has, but wants to also regain grounds of areas we allowed development to gain an upper hand”, noted the Seychelles Tourism Minister. Mr St Ange’s comments were made to the Brazilian press as a Seychelles delegation sought to promote Seychelles holidays to the Brazilian market.
Image by: Béné & 2ni, on Flickr
Mr St Ange also pointed out that the President of the popular holidays destination- Mr James Michel has done a great deal to prioritise ecotourism in the Seychelles as he was personally involved in ensuring that more than 50 per cent of the Seychelles was declared as protected reserves- a major accomplishment for such a small island nation. St. Ange also noted that the government is currently focused on the transport industry on beautiful island of La Digue. With a growing number of petrol vehicles on the island of La Digue, if left unchecked this growth poses a risk to the appeal of this idyllic island paradise for those travellers interested in booking eco-friendly holidays in the Seychelles.
In order to tackle this issue the Seychelles Ministry of Finance in collaboration with the Ministry of Transport are working towards providing incentives for inhabitants to opt for eco friendly vehicles by removing the duties on such imports. “The Minister responsible for Transport, Minister Joel Morgan is working on the details and time tables for this move, and it is believed that this move is set to make La Digue island even more eco-friendly than it is today” stated St. Ange .
Image by: collet.sylvain, on Flickr
Additionally, President Michel recently appointed environmentalist Prf. Rolph Payet- a climate change expert and a Nobel Peace Prize winner- as head of the Environment Ministry a move that will ensure policy development that will enable the budding eco-friendly Seychelles holidays industry to thrive.
The collaborative effort between the government ministries in the Seychelles is certainly a step in the right direction as the island nation seeks to distinguish itself as a leader in developing eco-tourism.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Seychelles Browse all
Experience this tropical island at the stunning Berjaya Beau Vallon Bay Resort & Casino
- As the Seychelles islands are blessed with a warm, tropical climate year-round, it's always a good time to visit
- Wide selection of facilities and activities including a 5-star PADI diving centre and a casino
- One daily complimentary shuttle service is provided to Victoria
Soak up the stunning landscapes, friendly atmosphere, fascinating architecture and leisurely pace of life of La Digue Island
- Enjoy excursions galore - Take a bike or ox ride, visit Veuve Reserve, the Union Estate Park and Nid Aigle, or explore nearby islands, including Coco Island, Island Grande Soeur, Marianne Island and Praslin.
- The languid pace of life and the romantic, friendly atmosphere.
- Bask on beaches which have topped CNN’s list of ‘the world’s best beaches’.
A heavenly holiday getaway where natural beauty meets luxurious comfort at berjaya praslin resort, seychelles
Discovery the wonder and beauty of thew Sheychelles at berjaya praslin resort, seychelles
- Dive along side fascinating sea creatures and amazing sights while bringing you even more enchanting discoveries.
- Jungle trekking, Island hopping, sailing and kayaking are just some of the many activities you can enjoy
- Discover Cote D'Or, one of the most stunning beaches in the world
Enjoy the exquisit food an amazing service to match at doubletree by hilton seychelles allamanda resort and spa
- Take advantage of fantastic watersports on offer including canoeing, snorkelling and scuba diving
- Relax in a private whirlpool or indulge in treatments at the spa
- Enjoy daily Creole afternoon tea and romantic candlelit dinners on the beach
Enjoy completely refurbished guest rooms and comfortable accommodation at the Berjaya Beau Vallon Bay hotel. The...
Located on the largest island of the Seychelles, Mahe, the Kempinski Seychelles boasts modern luxury rooms and suites...
This landmark hotel, recently refurbished is undoubtedly a connoisseurs choice. Tucked away in a private estate of lush...
Set 25m from the Au Cap beach on the Island of Mahe lies the cheerful Reef Holiday Apartments. These affordable...
Nestled within 18 acres of tropical grounds, in the untouched area of Baie Lazare, the 3* boutique Valmer Resort boasts...
Nicely hidden away amidst beautifully landscaped tropical gardens dotted by swaying coconut palms that gently dance in...