Green Globe certifies four Karisma Hotel properties in Mexico
Four Karisma hotel properties in Mexico were recently honoured with the Green Globe Certification. The Karisma Group's dedication to make a more efficient use of their resources has made their venues a fantastic spot for eco-friendly Cancun holidays.
The internationally-recognised organisation, Green Globe, has recently honoured four Karisma Hotel properties in Mexico, with its prestigious certification. Azul Sensatori Resort in Puerto Morelos, El Dorado Maroma Resort, El Dorado Seaside Suites and Hidden Beach Resort in Playa del Carmen, Mexico, all received the impressive recognition. These resorts now make an ideal venue for travellers interested in eco-friendly Cancun holidays thanks to the Karisma Group’s effort to raise awareness and make the best use of their resources. Their commitment to create an eco-friendly environment has had a great impact on the entire local tourism sector in the zone.
Green Globe Certification, based in California, USA, is the worldwide sustainability system based on internationally-accepted criteria for sustainable operation and management of the travel and tourism business. Their main goal is to encourage eco-friendly behaviour in the tourism sector. This organisation is represented in over 83 countries and is a member of the Global Sustainable Tourism Council, supported by the United Nations Foundation.
David Ortegon-Martinez, Corporate Sustainable Development Coordinator with the Karisma Group, stated he felt extremely proud and honoured that the four Cancun resorts received the Green Globe Certification. Ortegon-Martinez shared some of the measures that had been taken in each of the hotels, which are now among the most eco-friendly resorts in Mexico, to protect the environment. “To earn the prestigious Green Globe Certification award with four of our properties at the Mayan Riviera is the greatest recognition of our commitment to innovation and continuous improvement of our internal process,” he said.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
“Some of our major achievements include an average reduction of 11% water consumption and 12% electrical energy consumption. All our certified properties use biodegradable cleaning products and we could lower the use of laundry detergents by 32%. Our improved recycling process resulted in an 8% increase in the income obtained from waste management, including more than 3000 litres of used vegetable oil, which was processed and turned into biodiesel for a local authorised company. This step avoided the potential pollution of 30,000,000 litres of water and reduced the costs for processing that oil through our Water Treatment Plant.”
Furthermore, Guido Bauer, Green Globe Certification’s CEO, also expressed his satisfaction on certifying the Karisma Hotel’s properties. “We are very pleased to award the certification to El Dorado Spa & resorts and Azul Hotels by Karisma. Those properties show outstanding efforts in their commitment to protect the environment and contribution to the sustainable development at the Mayan Riviera. We are working with the other Karisma hotels to achieve the same recognition very soon.”
The four luxurious properties achieved their goal of offering great service and entertainment while caring for the environment by implementing a Sustainable Management System. The Karisma hotels established goals, indicators, activities and control mechanisms to incorporate sustainability principles into the hotels daily operation and this way, increase awareness and responsibility among the staff. The hotel staff are not only being trained to offer guests truly relaxing green holidays, but are also benefitting from a variety of workshops supporting the Mayan culture, gender equity and human rights. The Karisma group, in cooperation with local organisations, also offers specialised lectures on reproductive health and disease detection while access to health centres is provided at a very low cost to team members and their families.
The internationally-renowned Karisma hotels and resorts have already been awarded for their creative approach to hospitality management and product innovations. Thanks to the quality of their service the Karisma properties are among the top luxury eco-friendly hotels in Cancun. All different types of travellers will find pleasure at one of Karisma’s wonderful resorts: the adults-only El Dorado Spa Resorts & Hotels, famous for its Jacuzzis and beachfront wedding chapels, is perfect for couples, while Azul Hotels is a delightful option for families with its fun and extensive children’s programmes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Make your trip to Phuket one to remember at romantic and secluded Rawai beach
- Take advantage opf the FREE double room upgrade
- Perfect for families or couples searching for their own slice of paradise
- Relaxing location close to the beach
- Free shuttle services to Ya Nui beach, Nai Harn beach and Kata beach
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Exclusive India Sale, Enjoy Huge reductions on all our tours must be booked by 31 August 2017
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach ensures total relaxation
- Enjoy huge savings on this amazing hotel including 'Live It Up' for travel in 2018 slashing higher room category prices
- The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience includes complimentary dinner, drinks and entertainment at a restaurant or bar at a participating resort of their choice
- Guestrooms and Suites provide a wealth of amenities including a daily refreshed mini bar, 24 hour room and concierge services, a large TV and much more
- The resort has a great location next to a pristine golden sand beach and lush tropical jungle
Unwind in an adults-only paradise upon white sands with a FREE room upgrade and HALF price accomodation
Stay in pure paradise at Pineapple Beach Club, surrounded by a stunning waterfront of spectacular powdery white sands, it's heaven on earth
- Rejuvenate at the luxurious hotel spa or keep active all the selection of All-Inclusive water and on land activities included during your stay
- Formerly Grand Pineapple Beach Resort, The Pineapple Beach Club is a newly renovated Adults-Only All Inclusive Paradise
- Book and save up to 50%Summer just got better with savings of up to 50% plus a FREE ROOM UPGRADE in selected rooms
- Dine Al Fresco with breathtaking views of the turquoise waters of Long Bay
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...