Japan to launch two new direct charter flights to Cuba this August
With an increasing interest in travel to Cuba among Japanese holidaymakers, the Caribbean island and Asian nation have joined forces to offer two new direct charter flights to Cuba thus making Cuba holidays more accessible to Japanese travellers.
Proof that holidays to Cuba are becoming increasingly popular not only among European and Canadian travellers, the Cuba travel “fever” has been spreading fast and is reaching the Far East with more Asian travellers than ever interested in visiting this peculiar Caribbean island country with a communist past and socialist present.
Around 4,000 Japanese travellers took Cuba holidays last year and according to Japanese Embassy estimates, that number is forecasted to keep growing steadily and surpass 5,000 this year
So, in order to cater for this growing market and as part of ongoing efforts to consolidate Cuba’s burgeoning tourism industry, a new direct air route connecting Cuba and Japan was announced last Wednesday, with two new charter flights to Cuba starting to operate from August 2012.
Cuba’s Ministry of Tourism (MINTUR) recently revealed in a statement that the new two Cuba flights taking Japanese passengers to the island are scheduled every two years and have been established following an agreement between Japanese airlines and Cuba’s state-owned and operated Cubanacan tourism company.
The released statement also said that this addition of flights to Cuba from Japan will make the island more accessible to Japanese holidaymakers and will allow them to enjoy Cuba’s unique attractions, especially those of historical and cultural value (as they tend to be of great interest to Japanese visitors), as well as the country’s natural attributes and the warm hospitality of the Cuban people.
Bringing these two countries a step closer, holidays in Cuba for Japanese holidaymakers will be made easier and more accessible with this new direct route.
Over the last few years, Cuba has been actively and fiercely promoting tourism, particularly targeting Chinese and Japanese tourists, a completely new source market for the island's tourism industry, in a bid to obtain more foreign currency and help fund the infrastructure of new tourism projects and new Cuba hotels. With such flights, the ministry expects more Japanese visitors to this Caribbean nation in the medium and long term.
Cuba is betting highly on the development of the tourism and hospitality industry and authorities expect to close this year with 2.9 million visitors, breaking a new record. They also predict more than three million tourists visiting the island in 2013.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...