Cuba welcomes over 1.6 million holidaymakers in first half of 2012
Proving that the popularity of Cuba holidays among worldwide travellers is showing no signs of slowing down, the government's tourism officials have recently revealed the successful figures of tourists visiting the island during the first half of 2012, breaking a new record and marking a 5.8 per cent increase compared to last year's figures.
Cuban tourism officials have recently published the official tourism figures for the first half of the year with as many as 1,626,243 visitors having arrived to the island during the first half of the year. This marks an 5.8 per cent increase in the total number of travellers heading to the Caribbean island compared to the figures during the same period last year.
The new figures were published by officials from the Ministry of Tourism (MINTUR) and are an indication of the increasing populartiy of Cuba holidays, which shows no sign of slowing down in the near future.
First deputy minister of tourism in Cuba, Alexis Trujillo attributed this success to the growth of new emerging tourism markets such as Russia and Argentina and the reliably large influx of Canadian travellers, which continue to be the main source market of tourists taking holidays in Cuba.
Image by: gsamie, on Flickr
Speaking to to the Cuban Parliament’s Standing Commission for Assistance to the Services, Trujillo shed light on the steps taken by MINTUR to improve its performance.
He explained that, while in January the number of Canadian tourists slightly declined, they reached normal seasonal figures in the following months and recorded a 6.4 percent growth by the end of June.
According to Trujillo, during the first six months of the year, tourism revenue grew a whopping 7.2 percent, while domestic tourism showed an increase of 30 per cent.
On the other hand, he revealed that, since arrivals are 97.4 percent of forecast numbers, the MINTUR is implementing new strategies to have a year as close as possible to forecast.
The official also said that these actions are aimed at reducing costs, increasing revenue and improving marketing of the products offered.
Image by: lezumbalaberenjena, on Flickr
“Thus we expect to conclude 2012 with 2,920,000 visitors, a figure never before recorded by Cuba,” he added.
Trujillo delivered a report on major investments made in tourism, which include the construction of new hotel facilities, especially in the centre of the island, in the city of Trinidad, and Cayo Coco and Cayo Guillermo resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...