Cuba welcomes over 1.6 million holidaymakers in first half of 2012
Proving that the popularity of Cuba holidays among worldwide travellers is showing no signs of slowing down, the government's tourism officials have recently revealed the successful figures of tourists visiting the island during the first half of 2012, breaking a new record and marking a 5.8 per cent increase compared to last year's figures.
Cuban tourism officials have recently published the official tourism figures for the first half of the year with as many as 1,626,243 visitors having arrived to the island during the first half of the year. This marks an 5.8 per cent increase in the total number of travellers heading to the Caribbean island compared to the figures during the same period last year.
The new figures were published by officials from the Ministry of Tourism (MINTUR) and are an indication of the increasing populartiy of Cuba holidays, which shows no sign of slowing down in the near future.
First deputy minister of tourism in Cuba, Alexis Trujillo attributed this success to the growth of new emerging tourism markets such as Russia and Argentina and the reliably large influx of Canadian travellers, which continue to be the main source market of tourists taking holidays in Cuba.
Image by: gsamie, on Flickr
Speaking to to the Cuban Parliament’s Standing Commission for Assistance to the Services, Trujillo shed light on the steps taken by MINTUR to improve its performance.
He explained that, while in January the number of Canadian tourists slightly declined, they reached normal seasonal figures in the following months and recorded a 6.4 percent growth by the end of June.
According to Trujillo, during the first six months of the year, tourism revenue grew a whopping 7.2 percent, while domestic tourism showed an increase of 30 per cent.
On the other hand, he revealed that, since arrivals are 97.4 percent of forecast numbers, the MINTUR is implementing new strategies to have a year as close as possible to forecast.
The official also said that these actions are aimed at reducing costs, increasing revenue and improving marketing of the products offered.
Image by: lezumbalaberenjena, on Flickr
“Thus we expect to conclude 2012 with 2,920,000 visitors, a figure never before recorded by Cuba,” he added.
Trujillo delivered a report on major investments made in tourism, which include the construction of new hotel facilities, especially in the centre of the island, in the city of Trinidad, and Cayo Coco and Cayo Guillermo resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands for an amazing price!
- The Location on one of Varadero's best virgin beaches
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Enjoy varied entertainment, including water sports, beach volleyball, tennis, evening performances and more
- The all-inclusive plan features 1 buffet restaurant, 2 A la carte, 3 snack bars and 3 bars
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...