Cuba welcomes over 1.6 million holidaymakers in first half of 2012
Proving that the popularity of Cuba holidays among worldwide travellers is showing no signs of slowing down, the government's tourism officials have recently revealed the successful figures of tourists visiting the island during the first half of 2012, breaking a new record and marking a 5.8 per cent increase compared to last year's figures.
Cuban tourism officials have recently published the official tourism figures for the first half of the year with as many as 1,626,243 visitors having arrived to the island during the first half of the year. This marks an 5.8 per cent increase in the total number of travellers heading to the Caribbean island compared to the figures during the same period last year.
The new figures were published by officials from the Ministry of Tourism (MINTUR) and are an indication of the increasing populartiy of Cuba holidays, which shows no sign of slowing down in the near future.
First deputy minister of tourism in Cuba, Alexis Trujillo attributed this success to the growth of new emerging tourism markets such as Russia and Argentina and the reliably large influx of Canadian travellers, which continue to be the main source market of tourists taking holidays in Cuba.
Image by: gsamie, on Flickr
Speaking to to the Cuban Parliament’s Standing Commission for Assistance to the Services, Trujillo shed light on the steps taken by MINTUR to improve its performance.
He explained that, while in January the number of Canadian tourists slightly declined, they reached normal seasonal figures in the following months and recorded a 6.4 percent growth by the end of June.
According to Trujillo, during the first six months of the year, tourism revenue grew a whopping 7.2 percent, while domestic tourism showed an increase of 30 per cent.
On the other hand, he revealed that, since arrivals are 97.4 percent of forecast numbers, the MINTUR is implementing new strategies to have a year as close as possible to forecast.
The official also said that these actions are aimed at reducing costs, increasing revenue and improving marketing of the products offered.
Image by: lezumbalaberenjena, on Flickr
“Thus we expect to conclude 2012 with 2,920,000 visitors, a figure never before recorded by Cuba,” he added.
Trujillo delivered a report on major investments made in tourism, which include the construction of new hotel facilities, especially in the centre of the island, in the city of Trinidad, and Cayo Coco and Cayo Guillermo resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...