Queen Elizabeth 2 cruise liner to be given second life as a floating Dubai hotel
Istithmar has announced the plans to convert the majestic Queen Elizabeth 2 cruise liner, currently docking idly at Port Rashid, into a 300 room floating Dubai hotel. The state owned company has indicated that the ship's iconic original design will be maintained throughout the conversion process as they hope that the combination of the popularity of Dubai holidays as well as the popularity of the ship itself- which has become a landmark for Dubai will be a recipe for success.
Currently docking idly at Emirate’s Port Rashid, the majestic Queen Elizabeth 2 ocean liner will be given a second lease of life as a 300-room floating Dubai hotel, according to the chairman of state-owned Istithmar World Sultan bin Sulayem.
Bought at the height of Dubai’s economic boom in 2008 for an eye popping $100 million from a subsidiary of the renowned cruise company Carnival Corp., the fate of the Queen Elizabeth 2 was unknown in the wake of the 2009 economic crisis which saw the once high flying Dubai seek a $20 bn bailout from the United Arab Emirates.
The move from Istithmar aims to capitalise on the growing success of the Dubai holidays industry, which has been largely responsible for the nation’s economic recovery, and the iconic nature of the ship which has become a landmark in its own right. As a result the Mr. bin Sulayem has stated that the integrity of the ship would be maintained throughout the conversion process, stating “There were many grand ideas of renovating it in such a way that it was totally different from what it used to be, but we realized that a lot of people liked the ship as it was”.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Sultan bin Sulayem noted that converting the vessel into what would be one of the most unique hotels in Dubai will contribute to the tourism industry as well as help Istithmar recoup the cost of keeping the vessel docked, “It costs money for Istithmar to keep it sitting, so what we're doing is reducing the cost for Istithmar and eventually Istithmar will make money out of it” noted Mr. bin Sulayem.
With the ship said to be in “immaculate condition” the conversion process will take place in as little as 18 months with three major hotel chains in Dubai, including the Jumeirah Group, already in talks with Istithmar to operate the newly formed hotel.
While little has been revealed about how much the project will cost or where the funding will come from, what is certain is that if and when it is complete, Istithmar is banking on it being one of the most popular hotels for travellers booking exotic Dubai holidays with an added touch of history.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Discover the impressive opulence of Dubai's skyline matched only by the views across the Arabian Gulf
Impeccable service combined with comfort and luxury with stunning views of Downtown Dubai
- A landmark hotel located in Deira, Dubai's historic district with stunning views over the city!
- Incredible bars, clubs and restaurants, including hip and trendy Sho Cho that's been taking Dubai's fashion set by storm.
- There are plenty of sightseeing and historical places to visit within walking distance
Chill at The Palm's newest luxury retreat, be wowed by the touches of opulence on every corner and be seduced by our amazing prize tag!
- Rooms boast a balcony with stunning view of the Arabian Gulf, includes free Wi-Fi
- Complimentary Access to So Fit "Gym, Sauna & Steam" with 25% disconut at SO SPA in addition to free Wi-Fi
- Choose from 7 dining venues including gourmet options and enjoy access to 5 opulent bars
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Be sinfully self-indulgent and stay at an outrageously luxurious resort on Dubai's exclusive The Palm. You'll be basking in luxury from dawn to dusk.
- stay on the famous Palm in Dubai and enjoy stunning views over the skyline
- choose to upgrade to an amazing Ultra-All-Inclusive experience in the hotel
- Recieve complimentary boat transfers to iconic Dubai Marina or a free shuttle bus to Mall of the Emirates
Located in the historic district of Deira, the heritage hotel Hyatt Regency is within walking distance to the famous...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
Enjoy the stretches of sand and unlimited sunshine available here as you savour the comforts of Atlantis, The Palm. One...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...