Queen Elizabeth 2 cruise liner to be given second life as a floating Dubai hotel
Istithmar has announced the plans to convert the majestic Queen Elizabeth 2 cruise liner, currently docking idly at Port Rashid, into a 300 room floating Dubai hotel. The state owned company has indicated that the ship's iconic original design will be maintained throughout the conversion process as they hope that the combination of the popularity of Dubai holidays as well as the popularity of the ship itself- which has become a landmark for Dubai will be a recipe for success.
Currently docking idly at Emirate’s Port Rashid, the majestic Queen Elizabeth 2 ocean liner will be given a second lease of life as a 300-room floating Dubai hotel, according to the chairman of state-owned Istithmar World Sultan bin Sulayem.
Bought at the height of Dubai’s economic boom in 2008 for an eye popping $100 million from a subsidiary of the renowned cruise company Carnival Corp., the fate of the Queen Elizabeth 2 was unknown in the wake of the 2009 economic crisis which saw the once high flying Dubai seek a $20 bn bailout from the United Arab Emirates.
The move from Istithmar aims to capitalise on the growing success of the Dubai holidays industry, which has been largely responsible for the nation’s economic recovery, and the iconic nature of the ship which has become a landmark in its own right. As a result the Mr. bin Sulayem has stated that the integrity of the ship would be maintained throughout the conversion process, stating “There were many grand ideas of renovating it in such a way that it was totally different from what it used to be, but we realized that a lot of people liked the ship as it was”.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Sultan bin Sulayem noted that converting the vessel into what would be one of the most unique hotels in Dubai will contribute to the tourism industry as well as help Istithmar recoup the cost of keeping the vessel docked, “It costs money for Istithmar to keep it sitting, so what we're doing is reducing the cost for Istithmar and eventually Istithmar will make money out of it” noted Mr. bin Sulayem.
With the ship said to be in “immaculate condition” the conversion process will take place in as little as 18 months with three major hotel chains in Dubai, including the Jumeirah Group, already in talks with Istithmar to operate the newly formed hotel.
While little has been revealed about how much the project will cost or where the funding will come from, what is certain is that if and when it is complete, Istithmar is banking on it being one of the most popular hotels for travellers booking exotic Dubai holidays with an added touch of history.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Bask in private palm-lined beach glory that's just 15 minutes from the Dubai Marina in a place where it's all included
- Choose from excellent restaurants serving a variety of world cuisines including French, Mediterranean and Thai
- Go for a round of golf at the onsite 9-hole Golf course or explore the are on horseback
- book your stay including tickets to the family entertainment park Dubai Parks & Resort - ask our team now
For an affordable luxury holiday on Dubai's iconic The Palm, head for Sofitel and take the whole family with you, they'll love it
- Boasting a Roof Top Swimming Pool
- Free high-speed internet and wifi
- Located by the famous Jumeirah Marina and close to shops, restaurants, bars and the Emirates Shopping Mall
Perfection is synonymous with this stunning property on Dubai's Palm Island
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
- There are 10 restaurants and bars serving a variety of cuisine from all over the globe
- Boasting the Talise Ottoman Spa, where guests can indulge in a host of relaxing treatments and therapies
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
Ideally located on the West coast of Mauritius in the village of Flic en Flac and only 2 km from the restaurants, casino...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...
Regarded as one of Dubai's most luxury hotels, Marina View Apartments is ideally located in the centre of Dubai's...