Time to book Costa Rica holidays as country is ranked World's Happiest Place once again
Costa Rica has been ranked as the happiest place in the world in the 2012 edition of the New Economics Foundation's Happy Planet Index. The Central American country attracts thousands of visitors every year and during Costa Rica holidays travellers can explore the country's stunning natural landscapes including tropical rainforests, white sand beaches and aquamarine ocean waters.
The 2012 edition of the New Economics Foundation's Happy Planet Index has revealed that Costa Rica is the happiest place in the world.
The Central American country has seen an increase in the number of tourists going on Costa Rica holidays over recent years and it looks set to welcome even more in the near future after the recent announcement.
Costa Rica is a country bordered by the Caribbean Sea to the east and the Pacific Ocean to the west and it is famous for its collection of breathtaking natural landscapes. The nation boasts over 1000 miles of stunning coastline, lush tropical rainforests, dense dry forests, active volcanoes, high mountains, white and black sand beaches, and several nature reserves which are thriving with wildlife and vibrant flora and fauna.
The New Economics Foundation ranked all of the countries in the world from data taken from a Gallup World Poll. The poll asked people how they felt their lives measured up on a scale of one to 10 and the organisation then factored in life expectancy and the country's ecological footprint.
Image by: Clickor, on Flickr
According to the New Economics website, a statement reads: “The Index doesn’t reveal the ‘happiest’ country in the world. It shows the relative efficiency with which nations convert the planet’s natural resources into long and happy lives for their citizens. The nations that top the Index demonstrate that it is possible to achieve high life satisfaction and long life expectancy without over-stretching the planet’s resources.”
Image by: pbOOg, on Flickr
Costa Rica means "'rich coast" and the country is one of the world’s most popular destinations for eco-travellers due to its biodiversity. During holidays to Costa Rica, visitors will be able to catch sightings of animals such as monkeys, sloths, tapirs, wild cats and hundreds of colourful birds including toucans.
The country is a playground for adrenalin-seekers and visitors going on holidays in Costa Rica can enjoy exciting activities such as scuba diving, trekking through rainforests, surfing, climbing, rafting, kayaking, mountain biking and horse riding.
The beautiful coastal nation boasts hundreds of eco friendly Costa Rica hotels and resorts that are nestled within tranquil and natural surroundings.
Costa Rica has been ranked the happiest place in the world in the New Economics Foundation's Happy Planet Index several times now and this year’s report revealed that Vietnam and Colombia were voted as the second and third happiest places on earth, respectively.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Go for the thrills and spills of a naturally rich Central American nation, packed with unforgettable adventures and unique encounters.
- Elegant and comfortable accommodations with quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience
- Includes a guided hiking tour through the rainforest with a lot of insight about flora, fauna and the volcano's history
- Learn more about Costa Rica with unique experience of the guided hiking tour, Arenal Volcano National Park Nature Walk, Doka Coffee Tour and much more to explore Edit
You are sure to marvel at nature's treasures in Costa Rica, a paradise of lush forests, crystal coves, fine-sand beaches and exotic wildlife
- Marvel at Costa Rica's array of stunning settings, including forests, volcanic cliffs, beaches.
- Try snorkelling, kayaking, tennis, bocce ball, chess, access to a scuba clinic & more
- Relish unlimited Costa Rican and world cuisines in 4 and restaurants and 4 bars
The perfect combination of culture, history and nature with some added downtime at the end to enjoy one of the world's best beaches
- Relax at the hot springs and mud baths, and try your hand at zip lining, horseback riding or river tubing.
- Visit the country's famous shoreline, cloud rainforests, volcano and the charming capital of San Jose
- Tour includes: San Jose City Tour, Sky Walk on Hanging Bridges, Buena Vista hot springs and mud baths, nature walk to La Pava and Salitral Waterfalls, horseback riding and more
The perfect combination of Costa Rican culture and nature with added time for beach relaxation
- Enjoy a tour with perfect balance of adventure, culture and relaxation sure to make for a holiday to remember
- Thrills include river-rafting and a guided walk through hanging bridges
- A relaxing beach at the end stay rounds up the experience offering a chance to recharge batteries
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife, it's an...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...