Time to book Costa Rica holidays as country is ranked World's Happiest Place once again
Costa Rica has been ranked as the happiest place in the world in the 2012 edition of the New Economics Foundation's Happy Planet Index. The Central American country attracts thousands of visitors every year and during Costa Rica holidays travellers can explore the country's stunning natural landscapes including tropical rainforests, white sand beaches and aquamarine ocean waters.
The 2012 edition of the New Economics Foundation's Happy Planet Index has revealed that Costa Rica is the happiest place in the world.
The Central American country has seen an increase in the number of tourists going on Costa Rica holidays over recent years and it looks set to welcome even more in the near future after the recent announcement.
Costa Rica is a country bordered by the Caribbean Sea to the east and the Pacific Ocean to the west and it is famous for its collection of breathtaking natural landscapes. The nation boasts over 1000 miles of stunning coastline, lush tropical rainforests, dense dry forests, active volcanoes, high mountains, white and black sand beaches, and several nature reserves which are thriving with wildlife and vibrant flora and fauna.
The New Economics Foundation ranked all of the countries in the world from data taken from a Gallup World Poll. The poll asked people how they felt their lives measured up on a scale of one to 10 and the organisation then factored in life expectancy and the country's ecological footprint.
Image by: Clickor, on Flickr
According to the New Economics website, a statement reads: “The Index doesn’t reveal the ‘happiest’ country in the world. It shows the relative efficiency with which nations convert the planet’s natural resources into long and happy lives for their citizens. The nations that top the Index demonstrate that it is possible to achieve high life satisfaction and long life expectancy without over-stretching the planet’s resources.”
Image by: pbOOg, on Flickr
Costa Rica means "'rich coast" and the country is one of the world’s most popular destinations for eco-travellers due to its biodiversity. During holidays to Costa Rica, visitors will be able to catch sightings of animals such as monkeys, sloths, tapirs, wild cats and hundreds of colourful birds including toucans.
The country is a playground for adrenalin-seekers and visitors going on holidays in Costa Rica can enjoy exciting activities such as scuba diving, trekking through rainforests, surfing, climbing, rafting, kayaking, mountain biking and horse riding.
The beautiful coastal nation boasts hundreds of eco friendly Costa Rica hotels and resorts that are nestled within tranquil and natural surroundings.
Costa Rica has been ranked the happiest place in the world in the New Economics Foundation's Happy Planet Index several times now and this year’s report revealed that Vietnam and Colombia were voted as the second and third happiest places on earth, respectively.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Explore the peaceful oasis that is Costa Rica and enjoy various activities that make for an unforgettable holiday
- A journey of discovery to an eco -tourist dream destination
- This unique experience of canopy walkways allows you to experience the virgin cloud forest treetops. Through a bridge system you can marvel at the world's most amazing and beautiful flora and fauna
- San Jose, Arenal, and the conservation project in Monteverde
Go for the thrills and spills of a naturally rich Central American nation, packed with unforgettable adventures and unique encounters.
- Elegant and comfortable accommodations with quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience
- Learn more about Costa Rica with unique experience of the guided hiking tour, Arenal Volcano National Park Nature Walk, Doka Coffee Tour and much more to explore
- Includes a guided hiking tour through the rainforest with a lot of insight about flora, fauna and the volcano's history
Admire Costa Rica's cloud rainforest, climb a volcano, explore verdant grounds on a coffee plantation and relax on a beautiful beach at the end of it all
- Enjoy a coffee tour, witness an active volcano and bathe on the Pacific coast
- Experience Arenal Volcano with its rich fauna and flora
- Relax and enjoy a beach retreat at Guanacaste after your amazing tour
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife, it's an...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...