Year-round cruise calls in St Lucia resumed by Royal Caribbean
Royal Caribbean has decided to reinstate their year-round port calls at St Lucia in order to meet the demands of travellers seduced by the beauty of this Caribbean island. They will include calls at St Lucia in their itineraries for the 2012-2013 season, thus giving passengers the opportunity to enjoy brief St Lucia holidays.
Betting on the popularity of St Lucia holidays among cruise passengers, Royal Caribbean have decided to resume year-round cruise calls in the beautiful Caribbean island.
For the up-coming cruise season 2012/13, Port Castries in St Lucia will see the arrival of an increased number of year-round cruise calls thanks to the inclusion of 17 additional port calls and 36,000 passengers from Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines’ Jewel of the Seas ship. The newly added calls in St Lucia by Royal Caribbean will increase predicted off-season calls for 2012/13 over 50 per cent with an approximate economic impact of EC$6 million dollars.
Last year Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines revealed changes to its Southern Caribbean itineraries resulting in a redeployment of the company’s traditional year-round calls to Saint Lucia in order to keep up with the booming St Lucia holidays market. The effects of such move are currently being felt by local cruise stakeholders. The decision to return to St Lucia was made after a series of discussions between the Heritage and Creative Industries, the Ministry of Tourism, Saint Lucia Air and Sea Ports Authority (SLASPA) and Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines.
Image by: Best of St.Lucia, on Flickr
“In a year of continued economic uncertainty, this is very welcome news,” Sean Matthew, general manager and CEO for SLASPA explained. “When Royal Caribbean notified us in 2011 of their redeployment plans, we continued our discussions with the line and worked with the Ministry of Tourism, Heritage and Creative Industries to realize their return to Saint Lucia during the off-season. The fact that Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines will be calling on Port Castries with these additional calls is a reflection of the great relationship that exists between Saint Lucia and the line and of course their confidence in our product.”
The Jewel of the Seas cruise ship has a gross registered tonnage of 90,090, stretches over 965 feet in length and 106 feet wide with a draft of 28 feet, which classifies it as a Radiance Class Vessel. With a total guest capacity of 2,502 and 859 crew, the ship will be one of two cruise vessels taking passengers to holidays in St Lucia during the off season.
The vessel will sail from San Juan in Puerto Rico, offering year-round options with 3 Southern Caribbean itineraries for the summer and autumn seasons in 2013, and 2 itineraries in the winter and spring 2013-14 seasons. Departing every Saturday, the 7-night, round-trip itineraries include calls at various ports throughout the Windward and Leeward Islands, including Antigua, St Kitts, St Lucia and the United States Virgin Islands, as well as Aruba, St Marteen, Barbados and Curacao.
Image by: Tom Willett, on Flickr
Director of marketing and product development at Royal Caribbean, Dona Regis, said “Saint Lucia is a very strong market for cruise lines and this most recent development is testimony to this”
“However, what is most gratifying to all of us who have worked hard to build this sector is the fact that Port Castries and Saint Lucia is considered among the leading cruise ports in the Caribbean. Our demand as a port of call continues to grow and SLASPA remains committed to working with local public and private partners to sustainably develop this important sector.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Escape to a vibrant resort nestled in St Lucia's most striking landscape - beautiful Labrelotte Bay; it's captivating for families and couples
- Book All Inclusive to include breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks & beverages, including alcohol (wine and sparkling wine by glass), access to both motorized & non motorized water sports and a tennis court
- Located in beautiful Labrelotte Bay on the island of Saint Lucia
- Enhancement sale: Massive Savings on Accomodation and Meal Upgrades of upto 56%
- 6 swimming pools including two children's swimming pools
Discover Ocean Views and St Lucian magic In Morgan Bay with a free room upgrade and upto half price accomodation
Be seduced by golden sunsets, fine dining and the crystal-clear water of the Caribbean Sea at St James Club, Morgan's Bay.
- Take advantage of savings up to 50% for travel in 2017 and 2018, Room upgrades or have Christmas on us!
- A selection of complimentary activities available, Non-motorised water sports including: windsurfing, hobbie cat sailing, snorkelling and kayaks
- 4 restaurants and 4 bars to suit every taste included in your all inclusive plan
- 1 Child stays and eats free in a Premium Double or 2 Children stay free in a Family Suite
Check into a pretty boutique hotel and experience St Lucia's best beaches, restaurants and nightlife - you can even try your luck at Treasure Bay Casino!
- Exclusive! Book and save £500 per person!
- Perfectly placed at the heart of lively Rodney Bay Village
- Go for a de-stressing or beautifying treatment at the hotel's spa
- Enjoy a spicy island vibe at the hotel's Koko Cabana Bistro & Bar, offering regular live entertainment, barbecues & much more
Life in Rodney Bay offers stunning sunsets, an exquisite beach and bars, clubs and restaurants - Blu St Lucia is perfectly placed to enjoy all
- Only a few minutes away from the famous Rodney bay village where you can enjoy the night life of St Lucia
- Guests can choose from rooms with a private verandah or direct access to the pool. Suites have private sun decks and junior suites can connect with adjacent suites to offer family accommodation.
- Families can enjoy wonderful on-site facilities including a swimming pool, fitness centre, tennis and a Harlequin Kiddies' club. All day dining and drinks are served in the restaurant and there's an ice cream shop and a boutique.
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Sandals Halcyon Beach, located on the immaculate, sun-kissed sands of Choc Bay, is the ideal getaway for those looking...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Turn your dream of a Caribbean holiday into a reality and discover one of the most exotic islands in the world. Come...