Cuba gears up to host 62nd Hemingway International Billfish Tournament
Now in its 62nd year, Cuba's Hemingway International Billfish Tournament continues to be as popular as ever among worldwide participants and amateur fishing enthusiasts that take Cuba holidays with the sole purpose of competing in this prestigius annual event.
The 62nd edition of the Hemingway Billfish Tournament will soon take place in Havana's Marina Hemingway for the 62nd consecutive year. The dates for this year's event is from 28th May - 2nd June 2012. This prestigious fishing event draws some of the world's best fishing amateurs and experts who come to the island to battle it out for the prize.
Also known as the Hemingway Marlin Fishing Tournament, this competition first held in 1950 will see experienced fishermen going on Cuba holidays to compete and achieve the best catch with the tag-and-release method, as once Hemingway did when he participated in the first ever tournament that is now named after him to honour his threcontribution.
Back in the early years of the tournament, a group of fishermen came up with the idea of naming the fishing competition after him, in respect of Hemingway's passion for big game fishing. Hemingway not only agreed to this, he honoured the event by winning the cup for the first three tournaments.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
The Ernest Hemingway International Billfish tournament is considered one of the oldest big-game saltwater tournaments in the world and as such continues to lure enthusiastic fishing experts from all corners of the globe. Whether they fancy mixing their love of this water sport with relaxing holidays in Cuba or whether they're serious competitors and previous fishing award-winners, a long list of fishing experts sign up for the event every year
To participate in this edition, cost details and rules for entering this year's fisihing tournament are as follows:
- Participants are required to bring their own boat/equipment
- Registration in the competition is subject to a fee of 450.00 CUC per team of 1 to 3 anglers, and 100.00 CUC per an additional angler
- Registration fee includes free mooring if you come on your own boat, personal invitations for the Welcoming Cocktail, Closing Dinner and Awarding Ceremony for the teams.
- Rent boat/equipment: 2,250.00 CUC. Included are captain and mate, fishing tackle for every angler, baits, fuel and snack.
Image by: Jondom, on Flickr
The coveted prizes to be won are medals and trophys for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place as well as an additional prize for largest fish and largest dolphin fish (dorado/mahi-mahi).
The rules to participate are simple and straightforward. Fishermen will be using Tag-and-Release and the tournament will be regulated by International Game Fishing Association (IGFA) rules.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Enjoy a bottle of sparking wine and chocolates upon arrival guaranteed for couples at Melia Habana Hotel and a romantic dinner for two in Havana
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...