Cuba gears up to host 62nd Hemingway International Billfish Tournament
Now in its 62nd year, Cuba's Hemingway International Billfish Tournament continues to be as popular as ever among worldwide participants and amateur fishing enthusiasts that take Cuba holidays with the sole purpose of competing in this prestigius annual event.
The 62nd edition of the Hemingway Billfish Tournament will soon take place in Havana's Marina Hemingway for the 62nd consecutive year. The dates for this year's event is from 28th May - 2nd June 2012. This prestigious fishing event draws some of the world's best fishing amateurs and experts who come to the island to battle it out for the prize.
Also known as the Hemingway Marlin Fishing Tournament, this competition first held in 1950 will see experienced fishermen going on Cuba holidays to compete and achieve the best catch with the tag-and-release method, as once Hemingway did when he participated in the first ever tournament that is now named after him to honour his threcontribution.
Back in the early years of the tournament, a group of fishermen came up with the idea of naming the fishing competition after him, in respect of Hemingway's passion for big game fishing. Hemingway not only agreed to this, he honoured the event by winning the cup for the first three tournaments.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
The Ernest Hemingway International Billfish tournament is considered one of the oldest big-game saltwater tournaments in the world and as such continues to lure enthusiastic fishing experts from all corners of the globe. Whether they fancy mixing their love of this water sport with relaxing holidays in Cuba or whether they're serious competitors and previous fishing award-winners, a long list of fishing experts sign up for the event every year
To participate in this edition, cost details and rules for entering this year's fisihing tournament are as follows:
- Participants are required to bring their own boat/equipment
- Registration in the competition is subject to a fee of 450.00 CUC per team of 1 to 3 anglers, and 100.00 CUC per an additional angler
- Registration fee includes free mooring if you come on your own boat, personal invitations for the Welcoming Cocktail, Closing Dinner and Awarding Ceremony for the teams.
- Rent boat/equipment: 2,250.00 CUC. Included are captain and mate, fishing tackle for every angler, baits, fuel and snack.
Image by: Jondom, on Flickr
The coveted prizes to be won are medals and trophys for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place as well as an additional prize for largest fish and largest dolphin fish (dorado/mahi-mahi).
The rules to participate are simple and straightforward. Fishermen will be using Tag-and-Release and the tournament will be regulated by International Game Fishing Association (IGFA) rules.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...