Cuba gears up to host 62nd Hemingway International Billfish Tournament
Now in its 62nd year, Cuba's Hemingway International Billfish Tournament continues to be as popular as ever among worldwide participants and amateur fishing enthusiasts that take Cuba holidays with the sole purpose of competing in this prestigius annual event.
The 62nd edition of the Hemingway Billfish Tournament will soon take place in Havana's Marina Hemingway for the 62nd consecutive year. The dates for this year's event is from 28th May - 2nd June 2012. This prestigious fishing event draws some of the world's best fishing amateurs and experts who come to the island to battle it out for the prize.
Also known as the Hemingway Marlin Fishing Tournament, this competition first held in 1950 will see experienced fishermen going on Cuba holidays to compete and achieve the best catch with the tag-and-release method, as once Hemingway did when he participated in the first ever tournament that is now named after him to honour his threcontribution.
Back in the early years of the tournament, a group of fishermen came up with the idea of naming the fishing competition after him, in respect of Hemingway's passion for big game fishing. Hemingway not only agreed to this, he honoured the event by winning the cup for the first three tournaments.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
The Ernest Hemingway International Billfish tournament is considered one of the oldest big-game saltwater tournaments in the world and as such continues to lure enthusiastic fishing experts from all corners of the globe. Whether they fancy mixing their love of this water sport with relaxing holidays in Cuba or whether they're serious competitors and previous fishing award-winners, a long list of fishing experts sign up for the event every year
To participate in this edition, cost details and rules for entering this year's fisihing tournament are as follows:
- Participants are required to bring their own boat/equipment
- Registration in the competition is subject to a fee of 450.00 CUC per team of 1 to 3 anglers, and 100.00 CUC per an additional angler
- Registration fee includes free mooring if you come on your own boat, personal invitations for the Welcoming Cocktail, Closing Dinner and Awarding Ceremony for the teams.
- Rent boat/equipment: 2,250.00 CUC. Included are captain and mate, fishing tackle for every angler, baits, fuel and snack.
Image by: Jondom, on Flickr
The coveted prizes to be won are medals and trophys for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place as well as an additional prize for largest fish and largest dolphin fish (dorado/mahi-mahi).
The rules to participate are simple and straightforward. Fishermen will be using Tag-and-Release and the tournament will be regulated by International Game Fishing Association (IGFA) rules.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...