March Records 21.3 Per Cent Increase in Tourists Taking Sri Lanka Holidays
New data released by the Sri Lanka Tourist Board has revealed that March saw an increase in the number of travellers taking Sri Lanka holidays. Arrivals were up by 21.3 percent compared to March, 2011 and the majority of tourists came from Western Europe.
The month of March saw a 21.3 per cent increase in visitors to Sri Lanka compared to the same month last year, according to new data released by the country’s Tourist Board.
The number of travellers who took Sri Lanka holidays in March 2012 reached 91,102 and the majority of visitors originated from Western Europe.
The island nation saw a fall in the number of tourists from South Asian countries compared to March last year with 19,516 arrivals in total.
Last year, Sri Lanka launched a new marketing campaign called “Refreshingly Sri Lanka – Visit 2011” in an attempt to encourage international travellers to book holidays to Sri Lanka. The efforts paid off and by the end of the year as the island recorded over 850,000 visitors.
Since the end of the 25-year-long civil war in 2009, the country has received a boost in the number of tourists taking holidays in Sri Lanka as international holidaymakers regain confidence in safe travel on the island.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
The first quarter of 2011 saw 215,124 tourists visit the nation and the number of tourists who took a holiday or business trip in Sri Lanka during the first three months of 2012 was recorded at 260,525; a 21.1 per cent increase.
Sri Lanka is well known for its beautiful natural landscapes and diverse ecosystems which are made up of miles of unspoilt sandy beaches, soaring mountains, wildlife sanctuaries, lush nature parks, and a collection of heritage sites that include ancient cities and colonial forts.
Several new Sri Lanka hotels and resorts are under development in regions all across the country and many international brands are looking to invest in the nation’s tourism industry. These include Taj Hotels Resorts & Palaces, Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, and John Keells Hotels Group.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
Many coastal regions such as Pasikuda on the east coast of the island are being revamped to become leading tourist destinations. Once a thriving tourist resort, the area of Pasikuda was desolate during the civil war but the government is now investing Rs. 650 million towards the development of the 150-acre Pasikuda Tourist Zone.
Tourism officials are expecting to receive over one million visitor arrivals in Sri Lanka by the end of 2012.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy the peace and quite with a good choice of amenities and great location to discover the world of Sri Lanka
- Warm atmosphere and chic design make for a comfortable stay
- Tripadvisor Award Winner with a certificate of excellence for 2015
- Price includes free Half Board Upgrade
- Enjoy the amazing traditional and international cuisines presented in tempting a la carte menus and buffet style
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Soak up the sunshine that pours down on Sri Lanka's Indian Ocean coastline at Tangerine Beach. Make the scenic resort...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka and beach Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the...
There are few better places from which to enjoy the calming effect of the Indian Ocean breeze than at Avani Kalutara in...
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...