March Records 21.3 Per Cent Increase in Tourists Taking Sri Lanka Holidays
New data released by the Sri Lanka Tourist Board has revealed that March saw an increase in the number of travellers taking Sri Lanka holidays. Arrivals were up by 21.3 percent compared to March, 2011 and the majority of tourists came from Western Europe.
The month of March saw a 21.3 per cent increase in visitors to Sri Lanka compared to the same month last year, according to new data released by the country’s Tourist Board.
The number of travellers who took Sri Lanka holidays in March 2012 reached 91,102 and the majority of visitors originated from Western Europe.
The island nation saw a fall in the number of tourists from South Asian countries compared to March last year with 19,516 arrivals in total.
Last year, Sri Lanka launched a new marketing campaign called “Refreshingly Sri Lanka – Visit 2011” in an attempt to encourage international travellers to book holidays to Sri Lanka. The efforts paid off and by the end of the year as the island recorded over 850,000 visitors.
Since the end of the 25-year-long civil war in 2009, the country has received a boost in the number of tourists taking holidays in Sri Lanka as international holidaymakers regain confidence in safe travel on the island.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
The first quarter of 2011 saw 215,124 tourists visit the nation and the number of tourists who took a holiday or business trip in Sri Lanka during the first three months of 2012 was recorded at 260,525; a 21.1 per cent increase.
Sri Lanka is well known for its beautiful natural landscapes and diverse ecosystems which are made up of miles of unspoilt sandy beaches, soaring mountains, wildlife sanctuaries, lush nature parks, and a collection of heritage sites that include ancient cities and colonial forts.
Several new Sri Lanka hotels and resorts are under development in regions all across the country and many international brands are looking to invest in the nation’s tourism industry. These include Taj Hotels Resorts & Palaces, Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, and John Keells Hotels Group.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
Many coastal regions such as Pasikuda on the east coast of the island are being revamped to become leading tourist destinations. Once a thriving tourist resort, the area of Pasikuda was desolate during the civil war but the government is now investing Rs. 650 million towards the development of the 150-acre Pasikuda Tourist Zone.
Tourism officials are expecting to receive over one million visitor arrivals in Sri Lanka by the end of 2012.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
Take advantage of a this twin destination combination treat
- Enjoy themed nights with flavours from around the world in Sri Lanka
- Discover the wonder of Old and New Delhi with a guided, full day city tour
- Visit the City Palace, an overwhelming complex of exquisite palaces, gardens and courtyards, decorative art and carved doorways
Embark on a holiday of a lifetime with this amazing twin centre special offer
- Indulge your senses with the amazing spa treatments at the Avani Kalutara
- Enjoy an authentic Rajasthani meal with a local Indian family in Jaipur
- Buy some amazing souvenirs made by sculptors who claim to be direct descendants of the craftsmen who built the Taj Mahal
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Stay in a world of luxury and comfort at Citrus Waskaduwa, a fantastic beach retreat with top of the range amenities and...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...