March Records 21.3 Per Cent Increase in Tourists Taking Sri Lanka Holidays
New data released by the Sri Lanka Tourist Board has revealed that March saw an increase in the number of travellers taking Sri Lanka holidays. Arrivals were up by 21.3 percent compared to March, 2011 and the majority of tourists came from Western Europe.
The month of March saw a 21.3 per cent increase in visitors to Sri Lanka compared to the same month last year, according to new data released by the country’s Tourist Board.
The number of travellers who took Sri Lanka holidays in March 2012 reached 91,102 and the majority of visitors originated from Western Europe.
The island nation saw a fall in the number of tourists from South Asian countries compared to March last year with 19,516 arrivals in total.
Last year, Sri Lanka launched a new marketing campaign called “Refreshingly Sri Lanka – Visit 2011” in an attempt to encourage international travellers to book holidays to Sri Lanka. The efforts paid off and by the end of the year as the island recorded over 850,000 visitors.
Since the end of the 25-year-long civil war in 2009, the country has received a boost in the number of tourists taking holidays in Sri Lanka as international holidaymakers regain confidence in safe travel on the island.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
The first quarter of 2011 saw 215,124 tourists visit the nation and the number of tourists who took a holiday or business trip in Sri Lanka during the first three months of 2012 was recorded at 260,525; a 21.1 per cent increase.
Sri Lanka is well known for its beautiful natural landscapes and diverse ecosystems which are made up of miles of unspoilt sandy beaches, soaring mountains, wildlife sanctuaries, lush nature parks, and a collection of heritage sites that include ancient cities and colonial forts.
Several new Sri Lanka hotels and resorts are under development in regions all across the country and many international brands are looking to invest in the nation’s tourism industry. These include Taj Hotels Resorts & Palaces, Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, and John Keells Hotels Group.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
Many coastal regions such as Pasikuda on the east coast of the island are being revamped to become leading tourist destinations. Once a thriving tourist resort, the area of Pasikuda was desolate during the civil war but the government is now investing Rs. 650 million towards the development of the 150-acre Pasikuda Tourist Zone.
Tourism officials are expecting to receive over one million visitor arrivals in Sri Lanka by the end of 2012.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Discover the beautiful Sri Lankan nature, located beside a perfect strech beach on the Island's West Coast
- Beautifully located beside a perfect stretch of sandy beach on the island's west coast
- Modern and comfortable rooms with breathtaking sea views
- Choose from the open air terrace offering delicious traditional and international cuisines
Located in Negombo, on the west coast of Sri Lanka, Club Dolphin offers a relaxing and comfortable stay at the heart of one of Asia's most diverse countries.
- Cottages are spread throughout the gardens and have air conditioning, mini fridge and cable TV
- Club Dolphin is set in acres of coconut groves, beside a golden sand beach and backing onto a canal
- The hotel has two pools, one activity pool and a quiet pool, with the main pool winding through the resort
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
This holiday offers an amazing combination of adventure and discovery before a relaxing stay on the beach
- Jetwing Beach has a breathtaking costal location offering the chance to relax on the pristine beach
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Tour is an adventures dream where you will discover the jewels of Kandy
- This holiday is perfectly combined to ensure adventure and relaxation are evenly matched which makes for an unforgettable holiday
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...
Avani Bentota is set in eight acres of lush frangipanis and coconut palms by the golden sands of Bentota. This hotel...