UK Tour Operator Says Travellers Continue to Book Caribbean Holidays despite APD Rise
A new study has revealed that air passenger duty has not affected the number of travellers who are going on Caribbean holidays. Last month the British government announced in the Budget that the APD would rise by eight per cent on 1st April, 2012.
Tourism leaders and travel companies who are rallying to abolish air passenger duty (APD) have suffered a setback after the British tour operator, Hayes and Jarvis, revealed that the tax is not affecting the travel industry.
The chairman of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) and minister of tourism for St Kitts and Nevis, Richard Skerritt, recently stated that the rising APD would lead to a decline in the number of travellers booking Caribbean holidays.
However, Hayes and Jarvis recently revealed that bookings for holidays to the Caribbean have increased by 37 per cent since 2011. This Post Office supported this research after it reported a 12 per cent increase in sales of the Barbados dollar and a 22 per cent rise in sales of the Trinidad and Tobago dollar since last year.
Image by: worldtraveller5,on flickr
The recent study shows that travellers are continuing to book holidays in the Caribbean despite the recent eight per cent increase in APD which came into effect on 1st April, 2012 following an announcement from the British chancellor, George Osborne, during the budget.
APD is charged according to how far away the capital of a country is from the United Kingdom. Despite Florida and Hawaii being located further from the UK, the country’s capital New York is closer than many Caribbean cities, so passengers booking Caribbean flights are charged more.
Last month, Mr Osborne announced that APD would rise by eight per cent which is double the rate of inflation. Passengers flying out of Britain pay the highest APD in the world.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
Mr Skerritt argued that APD has contributed towards a fall in the number of British tourists travelling to the Caribbean over recent years and this has affected revenue for Caribbean hotels and resorts, local businesses and tourist attractions.
According to the CTO, Caribbean nationals who live in Britain have reduced the number of trips they take back to their home islands to visit their families and friends by a fifth.
The travel and tourism leaders, including airline chiefs and Caribbean governments, are continuing with their efforts to call for a reduction or the removal of the unfair tax.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Premium All Inclusive property with a selection of food and beverages on offer
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...