UK Tour Operator Says Travellers Continue to Book Caribbean Holidays despite APD Rise
A new study has revealed that air passenger duty has not affected the number of travellers who are going on Caribbean holidays. Last month the British government announced in the Budget that the APD would rise by eight per cent on 1st April, 2012.
Tourism leaders and travel companies who are rallying to abolish air passenger duty (APD) have suffered a setback after the British tour operator, Hayes and Jarvis, revealed that the tax is not affecting the travel industry.
The chairman of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) and minister of tourism for St Kitts and Nevis, Richard Skerritt, recently stated that the rising APD would lead to a decline in the number of travellers booking Caribbean holidays.
However, Hayes and Jarvis recently revealed that bookings for holidays to the Caribbean have increased by 37 per cent since 2011. This Post Office supported this research after it reported a 12 per cent increase in sales of the Barbados dollar and a 22 per cent rise in sales of the Trinidad and Tobago dollar since last year.
Image by: worldtraveller5,on flickr
The recent study shows that travellers are continuing to book holidays in the Caribbean despite the recent eight per cent increase in APD which came into effect on 1st April, 2012 following an announcement from the British chancellor, George Osborne, during the budget.
APD is charged according to how far away the capital of a country is from the United Kingdom. Despite Florida and Hawaii being located further from the UK, the country’s capital New York is closer than many Caribbean cities, so passengers booking Caribbean flights are charged more.
Last month, Mr Osborne announced that APD would rise by eight per cent which is double the rate of inflation. Passengers flying out of Britain pay the highest APD in the world.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
Mr Skerritt argued that APD has contributed towards a fall in the number of British tourists travelling to the Caribbean over recent years and this has affected revenue for Caribbean hotels and resorts, local businesses and tourist attractions.
According to the CTO, Caribbean nationals who live in Britain have reduced the number of trips they take back to their home islands to visit their families and friends by a fifth.
The travel and tourism leaders, including airline chiefs and Caribbean governments, are continuing with their efforts to call for a reduction or the removal of the unfair tax.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Enjoy fantastic access to the newly opening Grand Section which includes ten new restaurants and 6 bars, a waterpark, a new spa with 64 treatment rooms, a theatre and a bowling alley, plus another Playroom Kids’ club and Wired Teens lounge
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...